Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Lucas Archer posted:

Awesome, thanks for all the advice! I have the quick start rules, so I'll start by checking out The Haunting.

Besides echoing the suggestion for The Haunting, I wanted to recommend the Genius Loci scenario from the Doors to Darkness collection as a possible follow-up if your Haunting game goes at all similar.

From the infamous bed in the The Haunting, I had one investigator die and another receive a major wound and a severe sanity hit. The hook for Genius Loci (don't think I'm spoiling anything, it's literally how it starts) is a NPC "friend" of the investigators reaching out for help from inside a mental hospital. Rather than the stock NPC, I used the investigator that survived (barely) the mattress encounter in the The Haunting. This replacement worked nicely to keep the group very motivated and moving along with some urgency that I don't think they would have had with the stock NPC.

Potential spoilers for Genius Loci:

In the climatic scene where the friend is about to be sacrificed to the lloigor, as luck would have it, the investigator that saved the friend at the last moment was the person that played them in The Haunting. Made for a fun resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004

Len posted:

Im running a Monster of the Week game and I want to do a mystery where my players end up in a not-call of Cthulhu game Jumanji style. What are some good premade adventures to look over and get some ideas from?

Dead Light from "Dead Light & Other Dark Turns" is a good one. The eponymous Dead Light itself would make for an effective Monster of the Week I think, depending on the tone you're going for.

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004

Talkie Toaster posted:

I'm not switching, this would be an entirely new campaign - our group rotates GMs and systems. I've played classic CoC in the past, but as a group we've not played any Mythos systems for a while.

Basically, though, we've mostly played Genesys-based stuff recently which is fairly narrative and player-centric. Trail looks nice and light, narratively focused, and avoids the 'failed that one check' problem, which seemed appealing. We're not opposed to retro/crunchy systems (I've played far too much Dark Heresy), but our group dynamic better suits light, improv-friendly rules.

Have you ever played or heard of Cthulhu Dark? Extremely rules light, though you're almost always going to meet a bad end. Lots of freedom to shape your own narrative as well.