Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Joining this thread after I backed both tremulus and Horror on the Orient Express and am getting ready to start a DG game with a new RPG group.

Also figured I'd post this - if you have money to piss away on really cool poo poo, the Cthulhu playing cards kickstarter has some pretty nifty decks of cards to buy - but also has some very cool but super-expensive Cthulhu poker chips. If you've got several hundred dollars burning a hole in your pocket, then The Pot Is Right for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm suddenly imagining "CTHULHU MYTHOS TOURNAMENT FIGHTERS". For the SNES, maybe.

It's kinda been done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_%26_Blood:_Warriors_of_Ravenloft

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Dennis Detwiller posted some tips for running Masks of Nyarlathotep this morning, if you can stand looking at his hipster mug staring at you while you read, it's kinda interesting.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

moths posted:

I didn't know that presentation existed, OR that Pagan had a podcast. This is good news, and thanks! Listening to it now, I feel like they glossed over why it's going to be a stand-alone, but I'm happy to hear that it's going to bring DG up to current year.

If you read between the lines, it's stand-alone because they don't want to be reliant on Chaosium releasing the next version of CoC (which they'll do in their own sweet time) and would prefer instead to just get it out there.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

moths posted:

I finally put down the money for DG:Countdown today. In hardcover print-on-demand (with the PDF) it costs about half of what scalpers are getting for the softcover on eBay. It's just... why do people hate their money?

Could you let us know what the print quality looks like? Countdown is the only DG book I don't have and the only reason I haven't bought one from DT is that is says "scanned from a physical copy" or somesuch, which scares me off a bit.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
My sense of it is that they're leaning heavily on the new version of Delta Green to be a default "modern" CoC setting.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

moths posted:

Delta Green is actually Pagan Publishing, and getting it's own system, which just seems kind of dumb and reactionary now that we know 7e is backwards compatible. But when they announced DG as it's own game nobody knew what to expect from Call.

Oh, interesting. Last I'd heard they were making it 7th Ed compatible, I didn't realize it was getting a standalone system.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Want a Cthulhu strategy game where the goal is your cult leading the destruction of the world? Sandy Peterson's Cthulhu Wars Kickstarter has you covered!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The price for a complete game is pretty steep, but you get a fuckload of minis and the early bird specials take quite a bit off.

Also, it's a Sandy Peterson game.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CobiWann posted:

Is...is Kickstarter a cult? :ohdear:

It's people donating money to personalities based on promised long-term rewards that the personality has no legal responsibility to fulfill.

So.. yes? At the very least, it's Swaggart-esque.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

CobiWann posted:

So...political groups are a cult? Churches are a cult? Domino's Pizza is a cult?

Yes, of course, and how do you know it ISN'T??

It would be the perfect way to get people to perform a mass ritual without them knowing every Friday night.

In fact, that's a hell of an idea for my next DG game.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
There's a really rad Delta Green sourcebook that has a remote Haida tribe breeding with Deep Ones, similar to a second Innsmouth. They managed to make it sinister without going too far down the Magical Native path - probably worth checking out. It's in Targets of Opportunity I think?

Everblight posted:

Oh for sure. The Pike Place market... what happens under it? :drac:

Overexpensive parking and tourist poo poo. :smith:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Speaking of Delta Green, the kickstarted anthology Tales from Failed Anatomies is available on DriveThruRPG in POD form.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is there a more comprehensive collection of CoC monsters than the Malleus Monstrorum? I only ask because it was published in 2007.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'd add that players and Keepers *can* have the tendency to try to get all the clues before advancing. That won't usually be necessary - don't let clue collecting get in the way of moving the story forward if the players have enough clues to solve the mystery.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

NutritiousSnack posted:

I have zero experience with scenario pitches or submitting anything to the game industry, but I've got a good one shot adventure that I used in high school that can definitely work here.

They're VERY open to working with new writers, so definitely give it a shot.

Quick tips on pitching:

1. Distill your idea down to a 1-paragraph blurb. This is you describing your idea to someone in an "elevator ride" - about 30 seconds of talking.
2. Don't end with "WILL THE AGENTS SURVIVE OR SOLVE THE MYSTERY?" or something like that. Just conclude it.
3. Go in with confidence. Your idea rules, sell it!

Go get 'em. :)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Maybe I'll get some beginner's luck or something. That and they overlook me using openoffice instead of word.

Protip: RTF files work for every word processing doc on the planet. ;)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Clockworkjoe, I admittedly haven't listened to the RPPR you guys did with the new rules, but I admit, after looking at the quick start, I'm skeptical of the whole idea of not rolling most of the time. It makes me feel like players get free information for no cost, which could quickly descend from role-playing game into point and click adventure game in my mind. Can you help me understand it a bit better?

I played 2 DG games using the new system at GenCon, and what the new system does is save you from getting into situations where players just flat-out miss clues because they didn't roll well enough (something that's always bugged me about CoC). It's a lot like GUMSHOE in that way. It's up to the Keeper to prevent the game from becoming an point-and-click adventure - but both games I played felt like solving a mystery and putting clues together.

You can always play the "if you have 40% in the skill, you get X for free, then roll for additional information" route. Or, you can roll and get info fast or take time and get it automatically. There are options to keep it from feeling like you're just being force-fed the clues. My $0.02 worth.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks! We're doing a DG mini-campaign run by Caleb this month and I will try to run a SCP Foundation themed game on or near Halloween.

I thought you were Caleb. Welp.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago, except the slip cover had a gigantic divot in it (looked like it was dropped on a hard edge). I emailed Chaosium about it and they replaced it free of charge almost instantly. Pretty rad of them.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
More experienced CoC GMs: how do you have investigators roll for general knowledge that isn't in a library? Example: my investigators will meet a successful businessman who has been in industry newspapers, but may not be nationally known. How can I check to see if anyone knows about this guy?

Edit: 7th ed if it matters.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
That's what I thought originally too. I guess this is a 7th ed question then, since I think they've taken Knowledge out (I've only ever played 6th ed). It looks like they've replaced it by rolling EDU?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Chaosium bringing on Jim Lowder to kick rear end and take names was one of the best things they've ever done. Overall, 7th edition is great. Some of the artwork seems a little too modern for me, but I feel that way about most D&D artwork these days too so I'm just a cranky old grog when it comes to mah pictures.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm working on a scenario for an upcoming convention game and I want to feature a villain who can pass out of the Dreamlands for a few moments at will, then fade back in. I don't want to spend the almost $40 on the Dreamlands book (and it's not in PDF for some reason), so my question is - what are the "canonical" (for lack of a better term) ways to move back and forth between the waking world and the Dreamlands? The villain needs to come out, and the Investigators obviously need to go in at some point. Or am I overthinking this and I can just make up whatever works for the scenario?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Rad, thanks guys. That's all really helpful. I think I'm going to mash together two or three things and see what comes out.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
There's a 20% off sale on a bunch of Cthulhu mythos gaming stuff on RPGNow going on. Of note: most of the Delta Green stuff seems to be included.

Edit: it's something called Flames Rising which appears to be part of RPGNow? IDK. I got the link from the Delta Green Facebook page so I hope it's legit.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 19, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

poo poo, I've been meaning to pick this up for a while now so I guess I just ran out of excuses.

Also what the gently caress http://flamesrising.rpgnow.com/product/59891/Cthentacle?filters=0_0_0_0_0_45178

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm going to crow about this again: Chaosium does AWESOME customer service. I've emailed them twice; both times they replied in less than an hour and fixed my issue right away.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I've been playing in an occasional (once every couple of months) Horror on the Orient Express game. On Saturday, we ran and got to Belgrade.

Holy gently caress Baba Yaga.

The campaign has been a little uneven, and our group has a tendency to go into pulp action territory, but I'm going to remember that encounter for a looong time.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Shane Ivey playtested a DG scenario with an AI in it at GenCon 2015, but I'm not sure if it's been published anywhere yet.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

A little theatricality can help if done right.

I once had someone full on freak out at one of my games. I was describing a remembered mi go abduction experience with the lights dimmed in the living room, relating how claw like appendages were in her hair, a whirring sound and pressure against her forehead then I turned on an electric razor pressed it against a wooden shelf and let it reverberate into the hardwood floor and up into the furniture. They still talk about that one.

The guy who runs my Horror game goes balls to the wall on this. He's asked me not to post pictures for privacy reasons, but he always dresses the area in appropriate drapery and props, uses fantastic music to full effect, and there's always an "off-site" scene. For example, in one of our sessions, we ended up in a Dreamlands version of a World War I U-boat. We went outside and down to the garage, which was done up with valves and lights to look like a a u-boat- and all put on uniforms as we became members of the crew. As soon as the order to dive was given, he turned one of the valves, which sprayed us all with cold water. We had to fix the leaks in the pipes (with provided tape and tools), then proceeded to be hunted down by an allied sub hunter. Each depth charge caused "explosions" that got closer and closer, and caused more leaks, to the point where we all felt so loving claustrophobic and doomed that we just wanted to end it and get out of there.

It was one of the best playing experiences I've ever had.

Still hasn't stopped some of our dudes from being super pulpy-shoot-first though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I know - I appreciate every session we do.

We're talking about renting a cabin through VRBO next summer and four prison jumpsuits and running In Media Res with three unsuspecting victims players.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If anyone is in the Seattle area, Chaosium is looking for people to run CoC events at OrcaCon in Everett in January. Email Todd@Chaosium.com if you want to run!

I would except I'm already running my Wild West CoC scenario "At the Cowtowns of Madness." :clint:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

BillBear posted:

I skimmed the last 4 or so pages of this thread and I'm kinda freaking the gently caress out as I'm going to GM my first ever CoC game next Saturday having never even played it. I've done 3 one off D&Ds and that's about it for my RPG experience so far.

I was planning to horror RP it but by the sounds of it it's supremely loving hard to do and I'm going to be doing this in a pub's garden in broad daylight. I'll be assigned players by the host of the meet up I go to, so I won't get time to meet them or anything, but by the sounds of it the players will be new to CoC having only played D&D. What the gently caress should I do? What scenario should I run as a 1 shot? Should I still try mixing in some horror RP while keeping it "pulpy"? How the hell do I make the action fun and stand out from D&D? I've got the 7e keeper's book and reading it as much as I can trying to get the systems nailed down, but I'm really clueless on what sort of game and tone I should set, so that it's not only fun but at least kinda creepy and memorable. I'm looking forward to it still but feel like I'm setting myself up for failure if I don't get something in order fast.

OK so some general and specific tips:

General: CoC is about mystery and investigation, so whatever scenario you run, that's what you want to present the players with: a mystery to solve, and clues they find through their own actions. I'm not a big fan of the old "you blew a die roll and missed a clue" school of CoC, but you as a GM can push things in the right direction as needed.

If you're making something up, it's very easy to overcomplicate a short adventure. Don't. It can be very simple: you're at a dinner party where the rich heiress was murdered by the butler who's also a cultist for some dark ritual. Boom, done. There's some pretty good pre-fab convention scenarios out there, including a really rad one I want to run one day set in the modern day aboard a salvage operation.

I always recommend bringing pre-gen characters to something like this (I like Dhole's House for making and printing characters), and I also like to print out character portraits (you can find whatever you need on Pinterest), because it instantly gets people in the mindset of playing that character and avoids the awful slog of character generation. Bring 2 more characters than you'll have players because, you know, CoC.

Specific advice: For a one-off, don't be afraid to make it loving deadly. Give 'em their money's worth. They don't care about the characters after you're done, and neither should you. It increases the feeling of dread to know that yes, they really can go insane or die at any moment.

Your setup is kind of less than ideal, but I've run scenarios in crowded convention halls that have come out super-creepy and awesome. It just means you won't have as much buildup to a big boom than you normally would, so my solution is to keep things as a low, growing level of dread the entire time. If you're running the dinner party scenario, for example, maybe the killer starts leaving the investigators notes around the house, or killing pets, or doing something to gently caress with one of them specifically. The more personal you can make the horror the better (although obviously be sensitive to what might trigger or set off a stranger, because that's no fun for anyone in the group and this is supposed to be fun).

Hope that helps some. LMK if you have any more specific questions.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

obviously I hosed it posted:

Have you guys seen this? (I did not scroll around the thread, apologies to anyone who might have beat me to it) It' s allll sorts of things in the Lovecraft Mythos, and in this game, you get to be the cultist.

Sigil & Sign on KS, already funded like a mofo. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461807648/sigil-and-sign-cthulhu-mythos-rpg-where-you-play-t?ref=nav_search

https://youtu.be/UBN3NojXuk4

It's a loving rad concept, I just wish it wasn't so goddamned expensive for the complete print package.

Edit so I don't double-post: I entered a scenario in the Cult of Chaos contest, and I made it to the final round, but didn't win. Still, Chaosium is providing notes and I can resubmit it for publication, which is great of them. I have to say, I really like how friendly and helpful the Chaosium staff is; every time I've interacted with them, they've been all kinds of awesome.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 12, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm so stoked: I'm running In Media Res at a local con next January. We have a private room, costumes, props, and the guy who does SFX and AV during his games is going to come and run crazy-assed lighting and music effects for us. I may figure out a way to record the whole thing if I can because it's going to be off the loving chain.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

gradenko_2000 posted:

is CoC 7th Ed the current best one to jump into? I already have DG, but I wouldn't mind getting something from Chaosium to show my support

I'd say yes, but 6th is fine as well and has a wide array of support. 7th is closer to DG as well. The main difference is how it handles challenging rolls, and that it removed Know rolls and just assumes characters either know something or don't, which isn't a terrible change since it leaves it up to the Keeper to move things along.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
It's literally Delta Green: The Movie with the serial numbers shaved off. SO good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So I played a homebrew one shot with 4 new players and me, the new GM. The plot was that a girl in her early 20s had gone missing and the players wanted to find her. I let the players decide why they cared enough for this poor street rat that they would want to find her.

They go through the game, follow the clues and get to the back of an old cathedral to find the girl eviscerated on the altar with crazy fbi man waiting for the players. Nope, she's dead, you never could've saved her. Crazy fbi man casts a spell, turning her into an abomination boss fight.

Afterward the players all said they had a good time and enjoyed the game, but they wished they could've saved the girl. The dead girl was the only real complaint.

I dunno, I thought it was fitting. Before the game, I told them to expect an R rated horror movie and that lovecraft's horror has a lot to do with helplessness. What say you guys? Should I make a condition where they can save the girl? Or keep her dead but hint strongly through the story so it isn't a surprise? I want to run this story with some different players, and I think it's a good scenario, but I dont want it to end on a disappointment :/

I'd make them think they could have saved her. Maybe they show up and the crazy FBI man begins eviscerating her, and have him complete the action no matter what they do? So make her die, but make it seem like it was their fault somehow. That's one of the things I like to go for in CoC horror, especially if there's an emotional connection to a character involved - let it seem like the reason the innocent died is that they hosed up.

That being said, be prepared for them to do something miraculous to save her, and if it's truly inspired, let them have it, at least temporarily. Maybe the girl lives but she's been brainwashed / has Stockholm syndrome, or driven insane, and she actually commits suicide in front of the players, then your crazed FBI guy completes his spell?