Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yoshimo posted:

What are the "MUST PLAY!!" scenarios for CoC 1920s, through the various editions?

We've done all the ones in the back of the (6th ed.) book, and I've bought The Complete Masks, albeit it I'd like to maybe run a few more "episodic" scenarios before I dive on into that beast. Reasonable-length campaigns would perhaps be ok - I'm hoping to culminate with Masks and perhaps Orient/Mountains.

edit - also quoting so it doesn't get missed:

Masks is good but even more of a meat grinder than Horror. Both Horror and Masks have characters whose deaths are the inciting incident, so try to introduce those characters in one-shots before hand so the players have as much reason as the characters they play to go into action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Over the 40 or so years, there’s only been, what, six real campaigns?
  • Masks of Nyarlathotep
  • Horror on the Orient Express
  • At the Mountains of Madness
  • Shadows of Yog Sothoth
  • Children of Fear
  • Spawn of Azathoth

And even of those, only one has been freshly written in the past... ten (?) years

Tatters of the King is fantastic

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've been asked by a DM who just ran a 20 player D&D West Marches campaign over 3+ years to come out of GM retirement and run something. My first thought was my favorite game, CoC, but the game is mostly going to be online and I have no experience running online. My inexperience plus the fact its through a screen means I don't think I can create the necessary tone for a great CoC campaign. I've decided to go with my other favorite game: Deadlands - a Weird West cowboy horror game.

While working through what I want to present, I realized that Deadlands wouldn't be too far removed from a pulpyCoC game and decided to sprinkle some in. The game already has elements of cosmic horror and sanity loss and even a crossover adventure brilliantly titled "Adios A-Mi-Go." In fact, part of the first season will include pieces setting up to running Masks of Nyarlathotep in the Weird West. Swapping NY for New Orleans, the Kenya mountain scenario for Devil's Tower, etc. I'm only really familiar with the bigger CoC campaigns like Tatters, Masks, Orient Express, so my question for yall is can you think of any CoC adventures that would work especially well transplanted to this setting and to characters actually capable of filling enemies with lead?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I cant imagine running HotOE RAW. That said, Horror is one of the best campaigns I’ve ever run but we pulped the hell out of it and I let a lot of rule of cool stuff in I normally wouldn’t have. Basically became Indiana Jones vs the Mythos. That campaign eventually rolled into a massive mega campaign with Tatters of the King and Masks.

I think that 4 year game convinced me that CoC is more fun when hard boiled investigators punch Shoggoths but it really isn’t your momma’s CoC.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

They’re just not survivable otherwise. CoC as written nails the tone of HPL’s work but in turn that really thrives on the one shot nature of disposable investigators that are all going to hell tonight.

If that campaign went any longer we would have wrapped up with Beyond the Mountains of Madness which is another one that would be absolutely impossible for RAW investigators to ever survive without stripping all the fun from the table.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

mellonbread posted:

Why do you say this? I've read and played through the campaign, and it's not particularly lethal until you get to the very end.

It’s certainly the least pulpy or least likely to end in a TPK but yeah the entire ending is designed to be a death march especially THAT spoilery part. I really wonder how that railroad landed at the three tables in history who got to it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Haha i remember such broad strokes of the campaign that I have no recollection of how that wraps up. Is that also the chapter with the two young lovers?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I came here to ask about starting a Delta Green campaign and hey look the last two pages have basically all DG and most of my questions gave been answered. The game I’m planning will be heavily influenced by True Detective Season 1, The Xfiles, Annihilation, and primarily Control. In fact, I plan to find+replace Delta Green with the FBC/Oldest House and mythos with Objects of Power and Altered Workd Events. As I’mseeing it in my head I want to end the pilot game with a bunch of agents/LEOs from various enterprises being welcomed to the FBC in the late 80s.

Two questions:

1) How crunchy is DG? I’ve played CoC for almost two decades now so I’m very familiar with that system but none of my players are and I haven’t even looked at the DG core yet. My players in my DnD game now, and part of the reason for the switch, is 3/4ths of them want more roleplaying and investigation and can get overwhelmed in combat especially the newest player who went druid with neither of us realizing how complex it can be.

2) Are there any good pre-DG “recruitment” games you can recommend. My cursory search has found one called “Puppet Shows and Shadow Play” but I trust yall more than random sites.

Thanks!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Thank you so much for the in depth response and I’ll definitely be checking these out. As for the wrote your own, my DM philosophy as someone with a very time consuming job is that having a list of tonal and thematic inspirations as well as pulling from primary sources like adventures and campaign settings to use as a foundation is the best way to end up with a functionally unique campaign. My Curse of Strahd game ended up feeling incredibly different from the book as written other than names and maps due to pulling in Soulsborne, Castlevania, Silent Hill and Hammer horror influences. Hell, my most successful campaign ever was Horror on the Orient Express run like Poirot meets Indiana Jones.

Not saying thats the way for everyone but that philosophy with Sly Flourish’s Lazy DM prep keeps me from burnout and if there’s anyone out there running up against that wall I’d highly recommend just stealing from so much poo poo that the amalgam becomes something totally new and letting your PCs think you’re way more creative than you are.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I have always handwaved reading times into “a few downtimes until it feels right.” Another way to do it is let the PC make some kind of roll once per week/day/whatever - SAN or POW or INT, and start it near impossible and make the TN easier with each attempt until they “unlock the knowledge.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is this for your usual game group or are looking to publish it? Cause only with the latter is this always a problem. I know some GMs don’t like to hear this but some playgroups want rails. It’s just they want a roller coaster with surprise twists and loops and not a steam train going over the desert.

If you’re running for friends and think they will buy in to the world cause they wanna hang out with friends and roll dice then what you’re creating is fine and sounds like a lot of fun as long as you have the ability to zig when they inevitably zag from your outline. Thats the difference between a linear adventure and railroading.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 8, 2024