Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Bit of a question about systems - want to run an investigative-y Mythos campaign in 1920s Britain, and someone in my group mentioned Trail of Cthulu. Reading through the rules, the core stuff seems interesting and nice and light, but maaan there's a lot of extra tables and little modifiers and side rules strewn throughout that seem at odds to the relatively lightweight core mechanics. How does it actually work in play? Do you just end up ignoring 3/4 of the book?

Is there a 2nd edition that tightens the thing up? Or another system that achieves the same kind of goals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

mellonbread posted:

What goals are you trying to achieve by switching to Trail?
I'm not switching, this would be an entirely new campaign - our group rotates GMs and systems. I've played classic CoC in the past, but as a group we've not played any Mythos systems for a while.

Basically, though, we've mostly played Genesys-based stuff recently which is fairly narrative and player-centric. Trail looks nice and light, narratively focused, and avoids the 'failed that one check' problem, which seemed appealing. We're not opposed to retro/crunchy systems (I've played far too much Dark Heresy), but our group dynamic better suits light, improv-friendly rules.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 30, 2023

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Single and LOVING IT posted:

Have you ever played or heard of Cthulhu Dark? Extremely rules light, though you're almost always going to meet a bad end. Lots of freedom to shape your own narrative as well.
Oh, that *is* neat. I really like the stuff for reducing your insanity by destroying evidence of the knowledge you uncovered, that seems like a great way to get intetesting behaviour.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Have a bit of a plot question - what would be an interesting, reasonable thing someone might want to 'heal' a wounded Shoggoth, that isn't just 'human sacrifices'?

The plot of our current campaign is that in 1918, a British destroyer captain accidentally depth-charged a temple the Deep Ones had sealed, containing a host of mad Shoggoths attempting to build a gate to Azathoth. The Deep Ones re-seal the temple and sink the boat, sparing only the conscripted Deep One cultists & hybrids on board and the captain, who is now their slave.

Jump to 1925 and the captain commands a passenger liner, helping the cultists capture sacrifices and drop them off in the depths of the ocean - obviously going completely mad as a result. He fished a fragment of Shoggoth out of the water whilst on the lifeboats, and discovered how to nurture it back to life. Now he's hiding it as it carves out a new temple and gate beneath his house, waiting for it to bring him freedom through obliteration.

(The PCs are involved as their friend was an officer on the destroyer, who also survived clinging to some flotsam but went mad. After being rescued by fishermen and spending 7 years in an Argentinian asylum, telegrammed them that he'd be returning then took the cultist-controlled passenger liner home and Never Arrived, prompting the investigation)

I just can't think of what he might be doing to heal it other than "More human sacrifices" which is plausible, but in retrospect I think will just confuse the players as it looks like I probably made this too complicated to begin with. I could just have had it slowly recover 'naturally' over time, but that removes some of the breadcrumbs leading back to the captain, and makes it harder to trickle out the discovery.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
These are all great ideas, thanks! I’d planned on the Captain’s house being near a graveyard, so frantically body-snatching radium victims when he’s back from sea and trying to drag them to the Shoggoth is definitely an interesting angle. Also ties nicely with Azathoth being quite linked to radiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
You can also signpost using some structure. If you say “what do you want to do during the trip” they’ll say “er relax?”. If you say “You have five days. The boat docks at A on Tuesday and B on Wednesday. What are you each doing on Monday morning?” and going by half-day you’ll have forced them to think about what they’re doing and given them a sense of limited opportunities they have to maximise the use of.