Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

How much did I drink last night?
Would this thread be a good place to post ideas and thoughts about your own threadworks for tremulus?
I'm not sure about the official forums and the posting quality of them. Could be cool to throw out a couple of ideas on how to get good scares and stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

Okay then, here goes:

I am thinking on basing the mystery around a lake (landscape, furnace) that lies next to a small town. Recently around 3-4 people have disappeared from the town, one of which has been witnessed slowly walking into the lake, fully dressed, never to be seen again. The police are busy with "more important" matters, and have pretty much given up on any kind if investigation, thinking the lost people have either run off, or committed suicide.
Faint, sickly yellow lights can sometimes be seen coming from the lakes core, and people have started to avoid the lake, scared of what might be going on underneath the surface.

An amateur sorcerer (elder, dictator and the linchpin of this adventure) somehow has been able to contact something from another plane of existence and has managed to open up a portal to this mysterious being at the deepest part of the lake.
Bargaining for powerful artifacts with this strange being, the sorcerer is now influencing weak willed people through the power of dreams to get out of bed, leave their house and walk into the lake. The lake then devours them, sucking them into the vortex at the bottom of the lake.

Being sick of the police forces inability to deal with what is really going on, an old acquaintance of one (or several) of the investigators has asked for help, knowing that they have seen and experienced unusual things like this before. He will ask the players to come to town for a little while to see if they can figure something out about the mystery of the lake, and maybe even figure out a way to stop more people from killing themselves by drowning.

That is the base idea and setup for the plot. I have also jotted down a couple of things such as hazards etc.

Threat 1 - The sorcerer. Elder, dictator.
The (currently not named) antagonist is bargaining for powerful artifacts from the "thing" on the bottom of the lake. In return, he is sacrificing people to it.
I want to make this guy a bit of a power hungry lunatic that has started to get way too involved with the lake entity. He will try to satiate its hunger by getting more and more people killed, but will eventually fall victim himself when the entity has gained enough power. If confronted by the players, he might even outright confess to what he has done, only to get brutally murdered by...

Threat 2 - The thing in the lake - Landscape, furnace.
The entity on the other side of the portal in the lake is a mysterious vortex-like being from another world. Having being called to earth by the sorcerer it is currently growing in power, by devouring everything it can get its "hands" on. No fishes live in the lake anymore, and all other lake dwellers have either been devoured or have fled.
Growing in power and hunger, it will continue to "bargain" with the sorcerer, that is until it grows powerful enough to take care of the matter itself.
When the sorcerer has been taken out of action, either by the investigators or by something much worse, it will leave the people-people to...

Threat 3 - The Guardian - guardian/sadomasochist, weird.
This is a creature spawned by the thing in the lake. It starts off by simply guarding the bottom most part of the lake from curious investigators (glug, glug, glug) but given enough time and progress it will replace the role of the sorcerer, and will be the thing that is now supplying the lake entity with bodies to devour.
While the sorcerer uses spells to hypnotize people into walking into the lake, the creature will use other, more physical methods. People will get dragged into the lake, kicking and screaming.

There is still a bunch of things to figure out; what will happen if the lake dweller reaches its fullest capacity? What does the guardian look, sound and smell like? Is the sorcerer alone, or has he got people working for him, making the investigators lives even harder? Who is the person who contacts the investigators, and what are his true motives? If given enough time, will the entire town get swallowed by the lake and what then?

I know it's quite a lot to read and all of it isn't fleshed out yet, but I do think there is something there that can provide a scary and challenging adventure.
What do you guys think?

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOME

Why, thank you!

I have also started to think about some creepy poo poo that can happen to the players and the npc's around them.

1. A woman is found wandering the town in the morning, soaking wet and delerious.
She is questioned, but she won't be able to tell the police anything other than "That murky, cold water... it, it calls to me... " and similar stuff like that.
If the PCs succeed in convincing her that they can be trusted, she will begin to calm down enough to retell her last memories before going temporarily insane.
Her story will be about waking up in the middle of the night in waist high, ice cold water. She also remembers seeing a man walking before her, deeper into the lake.
She tries to stop him, and to snap him out of his hypnotized-like state, but when he snaps out of it, something will reach out from the depth and begin pulling him down.
The last thing she remembers is [something loosely describing features of the guardian] and then running, crying and laughing to herself.
Having recalled these suppressed memories will throw her into another fit of madness, and she will attack the PCs, until either they or someone on the police force can subdue her.

Also - has anyone read this, and if yes, is it any good?
http://thievesoftime.bigcartel.com/product/stealing-cthulhu

waqii fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 12, 2012

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

ack posted:

Stealing Cthulhu is good. It talks mythos and how to mix them up.

You're right, it's a really good read. I'm really looking forward to trying out the pacing advice on some unlucky friends of mine.

Also - how many players are "enough" for an adventure to make it really scary? Like, I don't want too many, since that would make them rely on each other too much maybe... I want them to feel isolated, alone and helpless!

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

Whybird posted:

Framework feedback
Good ideas for sure! I'll have another go at writing something more in line with a "typical" framework.
Although, having read "Stealing Cthulhu" I have stepped back a bit from the Sorcerer/Cult leader -idea for a remote lake cult that the rest of the people living in the small village fears.
The PCs will arrive in town to be avoided by most of the people living there. If they ask questions about the cult or anything related, they will be ignored or told to "stay clear of the dangerous people that are rumored to do wicked things by that drat lake."
I'm contemplating going for a more improvised approach for the whole thing, having a few things thought out that will come into play if the situation allows for it.

I have a few ideas for nightmares, mysterious visions, shadows moving unnaturally when near the lake and chanting/drumming getting louder and louder the closer the PCs get to them. The actual "thing in the lake" will most likely be a dark, smoke covered old being, with boulbous, sickly features. It'll also probably emit a piping, nauseating sound, that both calls for and repels the PCs.
Roll a couple of sanity checks while also acting under fire while running screaming out of the dark woods, wake up delirious in a hospital bed to find out that the lake never existed in the first place.
Credits.

I'm sure I can weave in the whole monster>sorcerer>thugs>townie victims -chain though, which will also make finding out more about the cult a bit less tedious, and more easy for the PCs.
They could see/hear people getting threatened, get contacted by someone who is worried about a kidnapped family member etc, instead of only reading through press clippings and old records to find out about the towns old, dark past.

waqii fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 21, 2012

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

Check out Black Stars Rise. A a Cthulhu/Mythos/Horror rpg based by Sage Latorra.
It's pretty small and looks nice and has some interesting rules for taking damage and dealing with insanity. Well worth at least reading through!

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

I need suggestions of music for background and atmosphere in games. I know I can just throw Pandora to "Jazz", but I'm looking for something a little more dramatic and eerie, while still maintaining the 1920's feel. What fits that bill?

Try the band "Bohren and Der Club of Gore" as they are truly awesome.
Dark ambient/doom/jazz... Very, very atmospheric!

I've made two spotify playlists, one for when players are investigating and one for when the poo poo hits the fan.
The first one consists of mostly Bohren and der Club of Gore and the second one is a mixture of as much dark ambience as I could possibly find. I've found that they work great for when we play!

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

I just want to ask people who are playing CoC and/or ToC to just give Cthulhu Dark (or possibly Cthulhu Noir which introduces a Harm-system) a chance, because it really is an amazing system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waqii
Jun 9, 2006

UnCO3 posted:

Dark Depths

That dark depths scenario creator is pretty nice. It seems to be quite an easy way of making an adventure, or possibly even coming up with one on the fly!

I actually came up with this quick and rushed little adventure for Cthulhu Dark.
Seeing as how I've always loved the Star Vampires as the monsters, but never actually seen them in an adventure before, I wanted to chuck one in and have it be the main baddie.

Here it is!
Any and all feedback that you guys can give on how to make it better, is appreciated!

waqii fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 24, 2013