Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
:catdrugs:

RhysD fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm sorry that you still have to actually go through Greenlight :saddowns:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I was going to vote yes because you're a goon and you asked nicely, and because the aesthetic reminds me of The Incredible Machine and Scribblenauts.

Now I'm voting up and faving it because that trailer video was loving hilarious.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

RhysD posted:

It's called Fort Meow and it's about building a pillow fort to protect against pouncing cats.

Welp you sold me right there :D

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Okay that looks loving great, voted.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That looks really good, hopefully you don't languish in greenlight for long.

unlurked
Jan 20, 2006

Set phasers to HURT!
Voted!

It took us five months but we did it, we got greenlit mid October. From what I could see during the past five months:

- Having a popular Kickstarter plus a wave of PR promoting both the KS and your Greenlight will basically put you in the top 100 in the first week. Some KS games get greenlit in 3 days. Not our case :v:

- If you don't have a KS, or quality PR going, or an established community to reach to, your first week in Greenlight is absolutely vital. It's the only week Steam users will see your game every time in the front page of Greenlight. That's an huge amount of traffic (set up Google Analytics for your Greenlight page if you haven't).

- From the second week or so on, traffic from inside Steam will be orders of magnitude lower. You are on your own. It means you need to tons of PR, posts everywhere, reach to youtubers/press, mobilize friends, etc. Every bit counts.

- In August Valve transitioned from systematic approval of the top 50-75 every three weeks to cherry picking games without an schedule, or a public one at least. This is both good and bad. Good because it means they may notice you individually, bad because with the automatic process you "gained" positions in the rankings by virtue of the top performers being removed from the ranks. I guess Valve didn't like much the last option, but there's has been no public announcement of how/why things are different now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I voted for that during one of my surveys of Greenlight, hope it gets in quicker than Roundabout.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!
Greenlight is a weird place. Some games get Greenlit within days of submitting, yet others stew for eternity. Who knows what Valve's process is for accepting :shrug:

RhysD fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 17, 2015

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
What's going on with greenlight lately, it no longer displays my total vote number and clicking on your queue doesn't respond. New stuff shows up i nthe submissions though. If you click on Most Recent it lists "released" as 3000+ (lol) which is different from the front page, there's other bugs too

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beats me but :siren: Drive to Hell get Greenlit! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214613514

Probably right before they're about to put a bullet in this thing but hey better late than never I guess. :smugwizard:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Yodzilla posted:

Beats me but :siren: Drive to Hell get Greenlit! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214613514

Probably right before they're about to put a bullet in this thing but hey better late than never I guess. :smugwizard:

Oh hey, congrats! I enjoyed this on iOS so looking forward to getting it on Steam :)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Yodzilla posted:

Congrats, man. Got your game in some bundle, had fun with it. That Russian game looking just like yours is coming out tomorrow btw: http://store.steampowered.com/app/326150/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I'll show them skid marks.

But yeah now I've gotta see all that we've got to do to get the game ready. We really want to do it right as we're actively working on our next big game.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Voted Fort Meow for the trailer alone. That was some funny poo poo.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

Congrats, man. Got your game in some bundle, had fun with it. That Russian game looking just like yours is coming out tomorrow btw: http://store.steampowered.com/app/326150/

I don't think they are are a rip off as they seem to have a completely different style and theme and pretty much everything but the main concept of a car shooting things.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Didn't say they were. It's just that Yodzilla may be reading stuff about ripping each other off for a while because the games seem similar.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha no I don't think they're ripping off at all. There thing is more of a weird close quarters car combat thing. Drive to Hell is a straight up twin-stick shooter.

It still cracks me up that the #1 game Drive to Hell gets compared to is Spyhunter when it plays nothing like it and we didn't have it in mind whatsoever during development. I can see why though. We just wanted to make a shooter where you weren't a space ship or a magical girl.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

A really cool racing game just got added to Greenlight called Drift Stage and I'd say it's worth an upvote: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=354509686

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
Well, I've pushed my game Fleet onto Greenlight. Space ships, strategy, and explosions!

Here's the trailer I put together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH3ph_9B9uE

If you think it looks neat, your Greenlight vote would be really appreciated.

Greenlight page (in browser)

Or open in steam.

unlurked
Jan 20, 2006

Set phasers to HURT!

Dirty posted:

Well, I've pushed my game Fleet onto Greenlight. Space ships, strategy, and explosions!

Super cool, with some strong Homeworld vibes. Put an easter egg that adds amber lighting and tracers everywhere and you got the perfect homage :v: Good luck with your Greenlight!

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

unlurked posted:

Super cool, with some strong Homeworld vibes. Put an easter egg that adds amber lighting and tracers everywhere and you got the perfect homage :v: Good luck with your Greenlight!

Thanks! Good idea. Also need a filter to add massive radio distortion to everyone's voices. ;)

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Wow. I got Greenlit in four days. That was about 45 days quicker than I expected.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Congrats! Now the real fun begins.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Congrats! Now the real fun begins.

Yeah. I have to actually finish the thing!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
In other news, my Greenlight journey has now come to an end! Drive to Hell is live! http://store.steampowered.com/app/334840/

Now to start it all again in a few months with our next game I guess :smugwizard:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Yodzilla posted:

In other news, my Greenlight journey has now come to an end! Drive to Hell is live! http://store.steampowered.com/app/334840/

Now to start it all again in a few months with our next game I guess :smugwizard:

When I saw the game at MAGFest, I kept on thinking "I'm pretty sure a goon made this, but I'm not sure". Congrats on your release, and good luck on the next.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
You should have come up to me and done the stairs thing and we could have had an awkward moment together.

Now we never will...

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
ayy lmao
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386454385

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Towerofmeat 20 minutes ago
This isn't even a video game. It is an agenda-pushing piece of manipulative propaganda. If you buy into this crap you are just as weak as the developer is. I will not stop posting comments on this piece of garbage until I know for sure that this game will not be green lit. If this game is green lit I will deactivate my steam account. I will tolerate this agenda-pushing piece of garbage. Steam should be for real games and gamers. Not for psychotic hateful people pushing their extreme agenda on the rest of us. Stand up for your rights as a gamer and down vote this piece of propaganda!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is the typing mechanic any good? Feels like it would be a pain in the rear end on an iOS system.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Nothing about that game is good, with the exception of the drama around it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Voted up to piss the manchildren off.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Looking up Brianna got me a wall of text where she said fun was subjective - and then said that games that only had gameplay weren't actually fun, and were a waste of time that tricked you into thinking were worthwhile. And that indie developers were hipsters who couldn't make "actually great interactive entertainment like that of story-based games". Can't really support an attitude like that.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 4, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Justin_Brett posted:

Looking up Brianna got me a wall of text where she said fun was subjective - and then said that games that only had gameplay weren't actually fun, and were a waste of time that tricked you into thinking were worthwhile. And that indie developers were hipsters who couldn't make "actually great interactive entertainment like that of story-based games". Can't really support an attitude like that.

It's funny how many indie devs think this and put themselves outside of that bubble too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

Their game doesn't look good but I'll still wish them well considering literal crazy people are sending death threats at her daily. And one schizo guy crashed his mom's car driving to her house with a gun

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The rise of "story" over "gameplay" is one of the great tragedies of gaming. A good story is always a bonus but gameplay first please. Dark souls manages this perfectly.

If I was being overly cynical i'd say that indie devs find storycrafting a lot easier than producing good gameplay. So of course the thing they're good at... just happens to be the "better" aspect all along.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Bieeardo posted:

Voted up to piss the manchildren off.

So its the inverse of Hatred.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I've played the iOS version of Revolution 60. The art style is abhorrent but the voice acting is above average and I can kind of see the appeal of an adventure game done like a cross between a David Cage game and Mass Effect's dialog system with some light strategy combat.

That being said I really didn't have any desire to continue. The story seemed like complete nonsense and just looking at it made me mad.

e: not that it's any excuse but much, much worse stuff has gotten through Greenlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
What agenda do skin-tight suits and tattoos push exactly?

• Locked thread