Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

The demon stuff was never really confirmed, it was just sort of vaguely implied then quickly forgotten about and never mentioned again. And yeah, don't watch Dexter. Maybe season 1 & 2, but definitely nothing after that.

Yes, once you start saying to yourself, "drat, Dexter, that was sloppy and makes no sense." It's time to stop watching. Those last two seasons were bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

This game is awesome, I'm genuinely laughing out load at it. Especially the larp rules. Especially the powersign: Anvil

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Demon: The Descent

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

I bought this game and do not regret it even one bit. I've consumed far too many World of Darkness books to not fall in love with the Darkest Cosmos and game set therein.

Somewhere between the introduction and Rich Dansky's pronunciation note, they also included something that looks like a playable system (provided you're willing to gloss over small oddities like the 15-skill system that lists 14 skills).

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So one of the backer rewards for the new kickstarter is the woefully inadequate Encyclopedia Vampirica. I wonder how many people will fall down the dark road I did as a result of it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Loomer posted:

So one of the backer rewards for the new kickstarter is the woefully inadequate Encyclopedia Vampirica. I wonder how many people will fall down the dark road I did as a result of it.

Doesn't it contain a bunch of stuff that either contradicts the rest of the published materials or has no basis in same?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Not as I recall, but I haven't looked at it in about five years now. It's a 2002 publication so I'll have a glance at it today.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Doesn't it contain a bunch of stuff that either contradicts the rest of the published materials or has no basis in same?

Pretty much. It's just an all around bad book.

EDIT: This is only my opinion of it based on reading it years ago. If you want to go in on the Kickstarter at that tier, be my guest. Lore of the Clans is shaping up nicely and it's nice to read an edited version of their previews.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 3, 2015

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
One obstacle with comparing the Encyclopedia to the rest of WW is there are some substantial wild cards: Four fully licensed, approved, but untranslated works in German that detail cities and areas in detail and are, from what I hear, quite reasonable and were done by the same folk as the Encyclopedia. A while ago I was 'translating' (AKA, attempting to interpret Google Translate's gibberish translation) Vienna by Night and it struck me as entirely acceptable and friendly to the setting. Some of the characters that come from nowhere may actually be from those four books, e.g. Albertus Magnus.

EDIT:
What I'm doing at the moment is checking each entry against my own notes and memory. Once I'm done I'll post the divergences and mistakes I find.

EDIT 2:
So far the bulk of the stuff with no connection is in fact from the German-only supplements, which are pretty much canon. Other things I've seen posted as 'non-canon' in there are actually from the novels or old 1E/2E material people didn't know was around, or VtM: R. The only really major errors are an issue of anachronistic naming (Choeur Celeste in 785 - the name didn't form until later IIRC) and the date of Lasombra's diablerie (given as 1205, when it has been established as 1405/1430 in other sources.) A fair number of 'errors' appear to actually be German content we never saw or minor spelling issues (e.g. Belisar rather than Belisarius) which derive from different names for the historical figures used in Germany.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 3, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

This is a post so I can click the ? next to my profile and find some old posts since the search function is borked.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Since someone mentioned Leviathan earlier in the thread, and a few people have bemoaned Beast for it's lack of support for playing Godzillas, I've decided to run a game where you may play Godzillas rampaging in the North Shore.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Okay. Encyclopedia Vampirica trip report. I'm probably in the best position to determine what's an error, a new introduction, or something that's just obscure, and that's what I've done in the quote tags below. Anything not mentioned you can safely assume I either missed, didn't think was notable, or was actually a valid but obscure entry. The Encyclopedia Vampirica is pretty solid, and some of the errors are down to translation (EV was originally German) or can be ascribed to it being an 'IC' document. Others are sloppy, but not major. Many of the things people have claimed have no basis in the setting are either from the four other German-only publications, VTES, or 1E publications. The book's real value is as the only window into those German only publications available in English.

quote:

Abetorius was given as 5 and child of meerlinda in Constantinople by Night. Here, 4 and sire unknown.
AChadremonos promoted to primogen
Both Ainkurn and Dracula's Sword are from VtM Redemption and DS appears in TC. Not a new invention.
Ikkenai is a new methuselah embraced by Rufus. An ancient gangrel of that name appears in DA content in the basque country.
Aachen content is from, or derived from, Aachen bei Nacht. Frankfurt and Vienna are likewise derived from German only books.
Choeur Celeste is an anachronistic name for the time given (785), having only been adopted as a whole in the 1460s. This is also from the German Aachen by Night.
Tremere have the necronomicon as the 'al-azif', but I think I remember this?
Alexandria is said to be ruled by the Primogen after the last Prince Died. I don't remember that, but the name, clan, and Dates of the Prince match and no new prince has been mentioned.
Lasombra was diablerized in 1430, not 1205.
Salvador Garcia has not previously been mentioned to have diablerized Don Sebastien.
Arimatheans are not, as is sometimes stated, a new invention. They are from Time of Thin Blood.
If the Augustin in the text is the same as Calebros's sire, possible contradiction. There is an Augustin in Vienna by Night, however, and I'll try and make sense of the google translate results on that later.
First use of Azazel to refer to Caine IIRC
Guarded Rubrics were never published before, but excerpts provided. Not an error or an invention.
Ea Adapa and Anushin-Rawan did not previously have named sires.
No prior mention of Barbarossa as a Ventrue, but there -is- a german language book about the city that likely includes him. If he is actually a vampire, potentially contradicts the other books.
Erik is killed rather than driven into torpor, 4 years early. Contradicts Berlin by Night.
Slight date discrepancies with Gustav Breidenstein.
Active involvement of vampires with Hitler. Contradicts the established stance of latter oWoD products that Hitler was his own monster.
The Blood Curse is from the novels, not a new invention.
Berserker Teeth may be a new addition.
Black gloves, feeding razor, etc, are all extant objects
Some minor naming discrepancies (spelling, suffixes and prefixes) due to the German names differing, e.g. Johann rather than John. Not a big deal.
Karen Charty's embrace date is 1762 in her first appearance, not 1766.
Cult of the Wanderers has no prior mention.
Damien is given as 5 when he is established as 6th Generation.
Adana de Sforza's generation is incorrectly given as 6th. She is established as 5th.
Improper use of dhampyre rather than dhampir; dhampyr are Kuei-jin specific, Dhampir kindred.
The Ennoia entry is a reference to CB:Ravnos
The mention of Eve as the Third Wife of adam is in reference to the Midrash, specifically that of Ben Sira. Not an invention, but not IIRC previously used in the oWoD.
Phillip Henry Lord Stanthorpe not mentioned prior
I do not recall the Ventrue Academie.
No prior mention of Mayer Amschel Rothschild being embraced.
Hakari has been previously identified as Prince of Tokyo, this is not in error and justifiable as an IC document.
Harlequin is incorrectly identified as a Gargoyle - she was the sire of a vampire transformed INTO a gargoyle. Fairly significant difference.
Inanna as a malkavian poses a slight issue, but is identified as potentially one of several Inannas which remedies.
Inconsistency re: Kuei-jin terminology
Lotharius's praxis was retconned, rather than being incorrectly published here.
No prior mention of Malachite hunting Baali in Damascus
MAlkav embrace date as 4000BC, contrasting with established dates for other antes.
Incorrect generation given for Corinne Marcon
I do not recall mention of Mohenjo Daro.
Inconsistency with date of embrace of Narses - appears to derive from historical ambiguity as to his year of death IRL however
Order of Bitter Ashes are from the novels
First time Petronius given a full name
Maris Streck has not previously been referred to as Thomas Plischke
Incorrect date for the Purchase Pact.
Incorrect generation given for Sangris the Serpent
Incorrect claim of death in the WoN of Durga Syn
Incorrect clan given for Squizzy Taylor
Saulot's diablerie given as 1200, which fits none of the prior dates established.
Ulugh Begh is not invented but from VTES.
No prior mention of Arthur Carroll in my files.

It also contained 620 entries for my files, but most of those are dupes from older books.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 6, 2015

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
As far as I can tell, the German-language oWoD books are in a place where they have as much support for them being fully canonical as they do for them not being canon at all: the Holy Roman Empire chapter of Dark Ages: Europe directly references characters and concepts that were (AFAIK) introduced in those books, but the part of the Transylvania Chronicles that takes place in Vienna directly contradicts the German "Vienna by Night" sourcebook. IIRC, the Encyclopedia Vampirica was written by the same studio that wrote those German-language books (and probably by some of said books' authors), hence why there's more coverage given to the cities that they wrote books about than there is to cities that had their own White Wolf-published sourcebooks.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Bingo. EV was by Feder&Schwartz originally, and published in English by WW but not written by them.

I'm of the standpoint myself that the German books are canon where they don't contradict other books (with the exception of parts of Berlin by Night which were expressly to be ignored) and where they haven't been retconned. DA: Europe makes some heavy reference to elements introduced in the German books, and a lot of the inconsistencies come from publication date - Vienna by Night was a 97 publication, TCIV was 2000. It's more accurate I think to just view it was the standard oWoD edition inconsistencies and retcons than anything, and that's also where a lot of the weirdest poo poo (like the magic sword of nuln) in the EV comes from. The German products were all 2E and 2E was much more heavy handed with the vampire interference in the world than Revised, had no problem at all with throwing magic items around, etc.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Well, seeing as this thread is like two and half years old and over 300 pages, I think it's time to reboot it. I'm going to start putting together a new OP.

More importantly this means we need a new thread title!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

You never go full White Wolf/Changing Breeds/Black Hand/etc.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I guess it's time for Demon to get a turn, since it's been out for over a year?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If demon is getting a title then it should probably be a joke about going loud.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Well, seeing as this thread is like two and half years old and over 300 pages, I think it's time to reboot it. I'm going to start putting together a new OP.

More importantly this means we need a new thread title!

The World of Darkness Megathread pt.V: Obsessively Cataloging Dracula's Genealogy

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Daeren posted:

The World of Darkness Megathread pt.V: Obsessively Cataloging Dracula's Genealogy

The World of Darkness Megathread Pt. V: Loomer Intervention Station

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Links to previous threads would be nice.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The World of Darkness: It's just a little BvD.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The World of Darkness Megathread pt.V: Please Ignore The Robot Behind The Curtain

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The World of Darkness Megathread pt.V: [Zany Yet Tasteful In-Joke]

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The World of Darkness Megathread pt. V: Heroes, Alchemists, and Huntsmen Only

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

World of Darkness Megathread pt V: God Isn't Dead, It's Just Compiling

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

World of Darkness Megathread pt V: You Would Think It's All About You, or
World of Darkness Megathread pt V: You Would Think It's All About Mage

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Effectronica posted:

The World of Darkness Megathread pt.V: [Zany Yet Tasteful In-Joke]

World of Darkness Megathread

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The WoD Machine Chronicles

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
World of Dorkness Megathread

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm trying to come up with a good reference to the Huntsman from Freakazoid, but it's not happening.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The World of Darkness Megathread pt. V: The Grave Little Toaster

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Jesus, 2002 was a big year for vampire. 26 books.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The World of Darkness Megathread V: Wraith 20 is a real thing that is happening

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

MonsieurChoc posted:

The World of Darkness Megathread V: Wraith 20 is a real thing that is happening

The World of Darkness Megathread V: Changeling 20 is a real thing that is happening

:getin:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The World of Darkness Megathread V: Son of Ordo Dracul

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
The World of Darkness Megathread V: All Nazis Were Supernatural

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
World of Darkness Megathread V: All Mage Chat, All the Time

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008