Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
But Fuzz, it's all garbage mechanics we already had in various forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Start from scratch, as everything changed.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
God, you really don't see how big the WoD was until you write it all out. Just for 1994 I still have to go through:
Clanbooks: Tremere, Ventrue, Toreador
VTES: Jyhad cards
Tribe Book: Shadow Lords
Rage Across Australia
Who's Who among Werewolves
The Apocalypse MET book
Monkeywrench Pentex
Tradition Books: Verbena, Virtual Adepts, Akashic Brotherhood
The Book of Madness
Wraith 1st Edition
Wraith Player's Kit
Face of Death
Midnight Express
Haunts
Necropolis Atlanta

And that's only Year 3/13.

EDIT;
poo poo, did any of the novels come out in 1994?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Ferrinus posted:

It pretty much does, though, when you think about it.

Whoah whoah whoah. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pope Guilty posted:

GURPS: V:tM was my first exposure to the World of Darkness. I was at a friend's house and started browsing through it, and he told me I could borrow it. Later I tried to return it and he insisted it wasn't his.

The GURPS adaptations are the only WoD poo poo (well, plus Cook's) I'm not even going to try and touch on for this project.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That's not too bad. With a careless storyteller and the V20 Companion, you can roll a starting character - a bog-standard neonate, 13th Gen and all - as a Justicar.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I wish I'd paid more attention to Wraith back in the day. It's still a really interesting concept.

Of course it's also tricky to categorize a lot of wraiths, but that's life.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You motherfucker. I just got Kanye out of my drat head and now you put him right back in there.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

crime fighting hog posted:

Whoa I guess I'm STing for our Hunter game tonight!

I finally get to send my players up against THE MISSOURI RIVER FISHMEN OF SOBEK!!!

The Fishman Says: Splish Splash Motherfucker!

I love fishmen as an antagonist.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Goddamn it that's not how you fishman.

EDIT:
I can't decide if I should assign serial numbers based on in-universe chronology or out of universe. I'm leaning towards out of universe order of appearance, with the exception of founders (e.g. Cappadocius is always the serial for Cappadocian-0001) of lines and traditions, etc.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 4, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

gtrmp posted:

The in-universe one would be impossible to keep straight given that a) most elders' personal histories are vague or self-contradictory and b) a lot of poo poo gets retconned from book to book. Also, Tremere and his Council of Seven were all simultaneously Embraced by the same ritual and/or same sire, so they'd technically share the same number even though Tremere himself is the others' honorary sire. Also also , :goonsay:

Yeah, that's why I'm leaning towards just doing the sensible thing. Mind you, I think literally every post I make about this project should automatically have a goonsay attached.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Because I am terrible at updating on time and didn't make the last few events engaging enough, would be my thinking. Why do you ask?

EDIT:

Oh for gently caress's sake there were even more in 1993 that I didn't know about... I swear by the time I'm done I'll have the only accurate list of what was published what year.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 5, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You know, looking back on Binge and Purge again, one thing I did like doing was the technical difficulties images followed by a screen of static linking to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2EKWgTNEYU as an easter egg. If I do another I might do something similar.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
A few observations on the newly released Children of the Night:

-They've apparently retconned the secret city of Petra, as there's a Lasombra named the Nabatean who went there and found nothing but a 'historical curios'. Now if anyone doesn't remember their oWoD, Petra was inhabited by Talaq, an Assamite embraced in 106 AD and then made mortal again by Rabbi Moses bin Maimonides in the 16th Century. It was also home to a legion of Nabatean ninjas, essentially, and no one could set foot in the place without dying horribly, so the Nabatean entering to find nothing suggests either a retcon or everyone died since the last mention of Talaq.

-Norwegian Black Metal had ties to, of all things, Setites. Apparently there's an entire Old Norse strain of Setites, which I don't recall being mentioned anywhere else.

-Argentina and much of South America had domains with Camarilla and Sabbat in the same cities, without a state of open war or espionage. Unusual arrangement.

Oh, and as usual, the relationship between the Lost Tribe and the Tal'mahe'ra wrinkles my brain.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Pththya-lyi posted:

How the hell did he live that long? :psyboom:

He's a powerful sorceror of an unaligned tradition of Jewish kabbalists. The same Life Mastery that allows him to turn vampires back into mortals makes immortality a fairly simple thing for him.

MalcolmSheppard posted:

He was a wizard.

Yup. Introduced as that in A World of Darkness (1st edition) from 1993 (or 1992?).

MalcolmSheppard posted:

I think Petra was one of the last gasps of early V:tM's attempts ot have site-based adventures.

Very much the case, yes, although it was used for VtM, MtA, and WTA in the early days, and referenced later on IIRC.

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Loomer, you have (White Wolf's) Encyclopaedia Vampirica, don't you? Because I know you're interested in tracking all this stuff and that book was specifically designed to list as many vampires from the game up to that point as possible.

I do, yes, but frankly the book is inaccurate in more than one case, and very very incomplete. It was actually my dissatisfaction with it that got me started on this to begin with, and the new and more methodical approach is just the latest incarnation of the original project.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The thing for me is I didn't mind some of Weinberg's ideas - his work in the Masque trilogy was flawed, but an interesting core premise with some of the big players in the Jyhad being those free of ties to any antediluvian. Plus with my project, how can I not feel an affection for Phantomas, slaving away at his encylopedia of the Kindred under Paris?

All in all though I can understand both the distaste for Weinberg and for some of the other early stuff. Early WoD was frankly cartoonish a lot of the time, and even more so for it's attempts to be dark and serious. Weinberg certainly didn't help things with his sex-pot characters and the absurd 'dagger of the giovanni' (who, due to a cross-wiring of nerds in my brain, I can only picture being cast with Summer Glau by Joss Whedon. It strikes the same chord.)

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Hmm, need to find a good base map to do the territorial map off once the documenting is all finished.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I think they were brought up last thread. They're mini story hooks more than anything, so no hilarious '2d4 Sabbat come rampaging down the street!' stuff.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Say what you will, but I will never find the image of fighting a Void Engineer using a giant pterodactyl spaceship not-fun.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Maximo Roboto posted:

I haven't been paying attention to the WoD threads in TG very much. Are people unhappy with the Onyx Path developments? Last time I check most posters here seem to prefer the new WoD over classic.

I remain a very strong fan of the original Vampire. oMage, oWerewolf, much less so. As such I'm entirely pleased by Onxy Path except for how drat long they take and also that they're spending precious vampire-time on werewolves and magicians.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

It's just that the cWoD fans get their fun too.

It's oWoD, drat it, oWoD.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
1993 is now properly finished, with some 1994 in the lists.
Current Vampire count: 2435, estimate ~2600 - 2800 unique cainites and ghouls.
Current Werewolf count: 1110 entries, estimate up to 1600 werewolves and kinfolk.
Current Mage count: 848. Probably 900 odd total.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Grim posted:

I'm interested in what information you're collecting about Mages - I once went through every book I could get my hands on and wrote down every Resonance I could find for quick reference when generating NPC personalities, if you were noting that stuff down I would be interested to see your results - I could never find many examples of Resonance pre-revised edition.

(Yes I know Resonance can be any adjective you like, I'm just a nut that way)

Just tradition/convention, subfaction where applicable, time and locale, and any masteries. I'll probably end up going back over it eventually, but for the time being it's sufficient.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
So I did one of the Mage tradition books today. Akashic Brotherhood.

oMage is dead. Long live nMage. Jesus christ it's worse than I remembered. It's just... It's just really bad. It saps the goodwill I had because of my rose coloured glasses and my irrational fondness for the Technocracy and replaces it with seething bile.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
1994, so 1st edition Mage.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
'Drahma'. That says it all.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Project1 posted:

Couple of questions: I'm reading through the Clan Novel Saga 1, which is Fall of Atlanta I think. It's pretty dull so far, with only a couple of interesting characters. I'm up to some consultant who got ghouled by Swedish Camarilla Toreador. Does it get any more interesting? It's readable, but only just.

What's the NWoD fiction like? I read through the vampire story of Three Shades of Night, and that was ok for RPG fiction. I heard it goes downhill after that.

And I'm thinking up a character at the moment, who is a Lasombra. Any tricks to get around the mirror thing? Are cameras a problem?

It does get a little more interesting, but as a whole the Clan Novels weren't particularly good, and Clan Novel Saga is the worst way to read them (though for the project it's my preferred source to recheck something, since it means less actual books to keep track of. Go figure.) since it removes them all from the original order of publication.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The Victorian vampire trilogy was also fairly good for the oWoD stuff (for starters, I actually enjoyed them.). From memory, some of the Dark Ages Vampire novels were alright as well (Gangrel, maybe? I'm a sucker for Gangrel stuff though.)

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
WELP! My Mage count file got loving corrupted. I had a raw-count form, which doesn't have what book they're all from, so I'm working from that, but it means I'll have to bloody go back and do 1993 - 1994 all over again later. gently caress's sake.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Somewhere, a member of the Technocracy laughs evilly.

It also corrupted the global chantry map, and as far as I can tell, only those two files. I ain't even kidding, and I don't recall having them open last time I crashed.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
What, uh. What clan was he?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
1995 is on the agenda now. To-do:

The Inquisition
Fragile Path
Project Twilight
N.W.O 1st Ed
Destiny's Price
Mage 2E Core
Ascension's Right Hand
Halls of the Arcanum
Clanbooks: Assamite, Setite, Tzimisce
Giovanni Chronicles 1
D.C. By Night
Masquerade of the Red Death trilogy
Freak Legion
Tribe Books: Shadow Lords, Glass Walkers
Rage Across Appalachia
Changeling 1E Core
Nobles: The Shining Host
Freeholds
Immortal Eyes
Changeling Storyteller's Book
Autumn People
Changeling Player Kit
Dark Kingdoms of Jade Adventures
Guild Books: Artificers, Sandmen, Masquers
Wraith Player's Guide
Dark Reflections
Sea of Shadows
Quick and tge Dead
Outcasts
Midnight Circus

Probably some others. If anyone knows of them (novels/books from 1994 I missed), let ,e know.

EDIT:
Oh, and Vampire: the Eternal Struggle
and
VTES Dark Sovereigns

Loomer fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 15, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Zeithos posted:

http://www.vteschecklist.com

A fair number (if not most?) are "canon" characters from the books, so you might get some overlap.

This should really come in handy. I have a lot of holes in my cards and I wasn't relishing scouring the internet for them and buying exorbitant costs for the ones I can't find.

Also, they finally got around to offering a pdf of the VtM 1E Player's Guide. Would have been nice to have had that before I bought a hard copy.

EDIT:
If memory serves, the trans-Daughter was actually Celeste, but Google suggests Harlan Ellison was the sire of Celeste, introduced in Nights of Prophecy as one of the male Daughters who were purged. Heirs to the Blood, which postdates Nights of Prophecy by about 10 years, didn't introduce him.

The Horde, though, is just silly, yes.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 16, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Check it for Vampire Jesus.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 11, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Why are these two novels not on DTRPG? I need to know what Clan Vampire Jesus was! This is important, goddamn it! White Wolf guy, yell at marketing or something!

Loomer fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 16, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's as sad as the Tzimisce that don't do anything but claws and armour plate. So much potential, and they only glimpse the surface of it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No, I'm still here. What post was that?

And more importantly... did it involve magicians?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Ventrue have the most forgiving weakness because all you have to do is be a Good Person who only uses legitimate violence so you never roll to lose Humanity much less degenerate.

That's when you start putting the character in bad situations. If they want to be the good ol' Good Guy Vampire, you make them suffer to live up to that ideal. You can either suffer as a monster or suffer as a man, but either way there's a ball gag involved somewhere.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I still prefer the oWoD Gangrel weakness, to be honest. There's just something appealing in a body horror sense about the idea of waking up soaked in blood to find you now have the eyes of a fly or the head of a lion, and also that you ate like three people.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Blood-Dimmed Tides is the oWoDest book in the best way so I strongly recommend everyone who can get it through that deal, get it.
The silliest part about the implementation was that it took a preponderance of animal features before you started to take stat hits from it. Like, forked tongue and segmented eyes? You're fine. OH gently caress HE'S GOT CAT EARS time for a penalty. And then nothing more until the next trinity wraps up.

That's why I always rolled it as things that can be easily hidden for the first few (4 for Country, 2 for City)and then one major or hard to hide feature, e.g.:
1. Leathery pads on the feet. Wear boots.
2. A constant animal musk. Wear lots of cologne.
3. Reflective eyes like a cat. Sunglasses, ala Beckett.
4. Oh look, it's not physical. It's psychological, and now you got the weird urge to hide shiny things in your lair like a loving magpie.
5. poo poo, your head is now a bat. Ain't no hiding that one except maybe as part of a costume or dressing like you're in the KKK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It'd also fit with a lot of the psuedo-derangements Gangrel pick up (the animalistic behaviours) to be able to hide in plain sight. If you're turning into a coyoteman, say, some of those mannerisms of skulking around might well get picked up too - and being able to literally turn invisible sure as hell helps.

Also I now want to make an NPC gangrel for a desert-based chronicle. He'd be based on the antlion larvae (this terrifying fucker right here), right down to building a pit to lair at the bottom of and rising out of the sand to feed. I'm picturing something out in Death Valley, waiting patiently for drunk and/or stoned hippies and artists to come check out the multi-coloured sand pit he's built, only to fall in and then up he pops, draining them dry and leaving the dessicated husk for the coyotes.

• Locked thread