Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

"Forgetting everything you learned from Emma Frost" is hilarious.

I like how Husk is apparently the entire arts & lit department, and Cannonball is only good for teaching people how to fly into things headfirst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
And Matt Fraction doing the words thing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I would really like to see the script page for that.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Fact: Matt Murdock can read ordinary print with his fingers.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you are Darkseid every throne is a toilet.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Hitler wrote Mein Kampf after tripping out and making contact with Darkseid's mind.

(I'm legitimately surprised Grant Morrison hasn't actually done this.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

There were already some homemade ones on the floor at NYCC.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

smashpro1 posted:

Buckethead?

Nova.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I remember in the 90's he used his magnetism powers to cure Boom Boom's brain damage.

If this happened before Nextwave, it clearly didn't work.

From #4. Nextwave is never not appropriate in this thread.

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 20, 2012

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Adam Strange posted:

Wow, that is horrendously unfunny.

He already said it was from The Gutters.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It goes back to Batman punching out Guy in the 80's. It resurfaced in Rebirth and pops up once in a while. As Guy says "Lanterns and Batman don't mix."

Which is really dumb, because Batman's problem wasn't with Green Lanterns. Batman's problem was with Guy, because Guy is an rear end in a top hat.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Sefer posted:

I remember at least one comic mentioning that Batman didn't like Green Lanterns because they're not afraid of anything, and at least part of his effectiveness comes from making people afraid of him. There's a reason a Sinestro Corps ring tried to recruit him.

Smells like Johnsian revision to me. Batman never had a problem with Hal that I can think of until he went bonkers, killed a bunch of people and tried to destroy the universe. But a somewhat rational "fool me twice" attitude won't work for Johns; Batman has to not like/trust Hal because he's a dick, because Hal is teh awesomez.

(Can you tell I don't think much of Johns's writing on GL?)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Peter also now has Ock's memories of doing it with Aunt May.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I don't think Gwyneth Paltrow's ever done a spread in Hustler.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Who's doing the art on that new Hawkeye series? I love it.

That's Javier Pulido. He trades off with David Aja. And yeah, they're both awesome.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

That is the worst thing I have ever seen.

Imagine reading it in context, where at first you think he's beating her.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Why is Frieza in Glory now?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

That all Hulk know, and all Hulk need know.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Nah, Hephaestus looks like this in WW:

Anyway, on to funny things. The new Batman & Robin Annual is all about Damian sending Bruce on a globetrotting adventure finding out stuff about his parents. There's a lot of touching stuff in there. But there's also a lot of funny stuff. Like for example, the first spot on the trip happens to be a hotel in London. As it turns out, the manager is one of Alfred's buddies from his pre-butler days as an actor. So that gets Alfred thinkin' about the good ol' days.

Then this happens:

So Bruce leaves Alfred in London and takes off. Then at the end of the story, Bruce (and Damian) come back to pick him up and... catch a little entertainment.

Frankly, I'm with Damian. Two Gentlemen of Verona is one of Shakespeare's worst plays.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Gatts posted:

I think there was a storyline in X-Factor where one of Jamie's dupes managed to start his own life and I don't remember the conclusion but I think it was to let him live it and not reabsorb him.

Yeah, Rev. John Maddox. He pops up every now and then.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Yeah, Injustice For All has different terrible redesigns for all the characters.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The Superman/Spider-Man ones are pretty good. The second one has my favorite scene in any crossover ever, where Spider-Man and Wonder Woman are separately prowling around Dr. Doom's secret lair, and as soon as they run into each other, Doom comes on the PA system and says something like, "Good work, Spider-Man! Now crush Wonder Woman, and our victory will be assured!" And she completely falls for it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

"Why Dr. Dinosaur Hates Quentin Quire"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

His girlfriend. Who is also his adopted sister.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Wild Cards gets stupid pretty loving quick.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Those are some oddly colored pigeons.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Pretty much, yeah.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Also, wet bikini.

And Shanna's from civilization originally, so it makes sense that she'd know who actors are. Especially since Ka-Zar's a total dork for that stuff.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

laz0rbeak posted:

Also, Flash and Felicia dress like it's the early 1990's (ASM #337):

To be fair, it was the early '90s.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

So Rich Johnston put up this bit from tomorrow's Saga 11:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

It's all part of the same thing. If they're celebrities, then their lives don't suck as much as they would if they were just freaks.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Preacher: One Man's War.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Okay, I have GOT to pick up Dial H.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Hollis posted:

I think the thing was that the Avengers paid 16,000 dollars a year to members but they told him he had to defeat the Hulk to join so he made knock out gas or something anyway he used it and Hulk turned into Banner and then Spidey was like well poo poo he's just a guy dealing with his problems and didn't join.

i am pretty sure i didn't make that up.

That was in the '60s. Then in the '80s he tried to join (again for the money), but the government wouldn't let him because Henry Gyrich is a dick.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Who was the first person to write Aunt May as anything but an idiotic burden?

Stan Lee, although Ditko may have had some input as well. I'm thinking specifically of the scene in Amazing #18 where she verbally bitch-slaps Peter out of the funk he's been in for the whole issue.

After that, though? JMS.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I should say, DeMatteis wrote Aunt May really well in Amazing 400. So of course that was retconned.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The Archie TMNT series got delightfully weird, and occasionally awesome, when they stopped adapting episodes of the cartoon.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I think him not being funny was the point.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Thank you Husk/Austen
Uncanny 427

I always explain this away as Husk being ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

And if there's one thing superhero comics are about, it's dour, mean-spirited realism.

• Locked thread