Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I never really followed Marvel or DC comics, but for some reason I got into Avengers Academy for the first dozen issues or so (I think up until they moved into the bigger school). Glad to see it's still going and still fun, as someone who's quite unfamiliar with the wild world of comics and its endless deeps of continuity it felt like a good perch to survey it all from, particularly since the protagonists were new and didn't have the same confusing, meandering stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

CapnAndy posted:

It's not, they cancelled the title and put nearly the entire cast into a kill-'em-all abomination.

Sorry :(

...What?

Wait, they put them into a what-now?

Comics! :argh:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Endless Mike posted:

Wolverine: Origin (the mini-series) established that he was born in the 1880s, which means he wouldn't have been born at the time of the Civil War. It's entirely possible something published prior to that showed him with some soldiers, but Origin is his official origin and hasn't been retconned to my knowledge.

The big comic books have that roving continuity thing, don't they? Like, that's how Batman's always 35 or something? Maybe back when Wolverine was introduced decades ago, he was supposed to have been alive in time for the civil war, but now they've moved that up to more turn-of-the-century. In another couple decades, Wolverine will have cut his teeth on the Great War.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ror posted:

I did the legwork to save you poor souls.

Of the ~9,000 X-Men fanfics at fanfiction.net, the top four most favorited are all romances stories featuring Gambit.

Well, at least they got that right.

~mon cherie~

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It has to be a nightmare writing superhero comics, since every imaginable 'clever' or 'creative' storyline's probably been done at some point, possibly with the very characters you're writing for right now.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

...How does he scratch his nose normally? Does he have a minion for that?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That's my secret, Doc. I'm always angry.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rhyno posted:

There was a penis on the old Little Mermaid cover. When My mom heard about it she marked it out with a Sharpie.

What, just in case you missed it?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Isn't the villain of that series traveling the multiverse, murdering Spider-People? Should I assume that cutesy kid-spider-girl gets mulched by the end of their one-shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know how the actual comic goes, but for me it's imagining Ghost Rider awkwardly trying to convince the kid that yep, he's Santa, here to save the day. Up to and including while he's laying out righteous vengeance on whoever had beaten the boy.

Hm? Screams? Oh, no, those are... reindeer! Yeah, reindeer calls sound a bit like screaming, like with goats.

• Locked thread