Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Someone needs to post Red She-Hulk: Bird Puncher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That New X-Men one was pretty sad. It came out on the year anniversary of 9/11, so the X-Men visit Genosha that got destroyed the year before. Polaris was going crazy because she was like a receiver for everyone's last thoughts before they died.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

As funny as it is to see a penguin fly, I think it'd be funnier if the penguin just waddled, and Superman followed accordingly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

And I'll win the whole thing by throwing Hostess Fruit Pies at the judges. How can they resist the flakey crust, and delicious fruit filling!?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's a fine idea. Everyone knows Superman will end up with Lois, so you mind as well play around with the idea of Superman and Wonder Woman hooking up until it's time to move on. Character growth and all that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

This thread has made me realize that Batman and Wonder Woman are both being written pretty well lately. So thanks to everyone who posted them. Who'd have thought Batman and Son would've turned out good?

Anyone with any drat sense. And Wonder Woman isn't just good, her book is excellent. Best book DC is publishing right now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

JLA/Avengers was legitimately great, and I liked Batman/Punisher: Lake of Fire by Denny O'Neil. The last line has always stuck with me. "The damned do not always scream and moan. Sometimes they suffer in silence." Probably the best storiy with Azbats.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Venom fought Juggernaut in Venom: The Madness, but I'm pretty sure he got beat down. The Superman/Venom fight happened in Marvel/DC Access or whatever that was called.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

If anyone is curious (I know you are!), the back says "There goes the Hulk!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lobok posted:

Figures that the New Yorkers working at Marvel would consider Detroit full of lesser beings:

Iron Man #112

Can I get some context as to why Galactus is having one of his sentry robots attack Detroit? I'm a sucker for stupid Detroit stories.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Thanks for selling me on the latest issue of Deadpool. Even the letters page is hilarious! Can I request the liquor store page?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Putting "Thor sinking" into Google lead me to the full page that shows the Avengers and some lava men. "Avengers vs Lava Men" lead me to the cover of Avengers #5. Mystery solved!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Can I get an upgrade? I think it suits my simmering rage quite perfectly.

Hell no. I already get a headache when you post.

I kid...maybe.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

...are you seriously saying you've never read Nextwave?

YOU FOOL!

I take my Devil Dinosaur very seriously.

Ordering the trades this weekend. I keep forgetting that having a new job means I can afford more comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Only if the JLI team writes it and Kevin Maguire draws it. I'd sign on for that so drat quick.

Giffen and Dematteis did do a Mister Miracle series, or is that :thejoke:

EDIT: VVVVV Ahh. I only have a oouple issue. I'm always up for a new Mister Miracle series!

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 14, 2013

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Here's a page from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #13 that makes exactly as much sense out of context as it does in context.

Oh man. I think this was my first comic book. No way anyone could forget Cudley the Cowlick. Can't remember any of the other names, but I recall the stump, and the wrestling champion who may have had four arms or something. The back up story was all about the champs weird rear end four armed, dog people family.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with this argument is that it boils down to "lovely people and assholes do this/did this, so it's realistic" when you're ignoring the part about it being the lovely people/rear end in a top hat part. There are plenty of people in the army, now and then, who managed to not be shitheads. There's no particular reason Captain America would need to be one, not even through realism.

Ultimates was a product of it's time. They are George W Bush's Avengers. No way a cynical guy like Millar was going to make any of the characters halfway pleasant, besides maybe Thor.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Hulk Smash! posted:

Wouldn't there be a "4" on his chest? Maybe though.

Not when he's on fire. They need to do an Infinity version of A Babies vs X Babies.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Fifth dimensional beings don't use vowels in their names. :goonsay:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How you going to drink that, Vader? It's a nice touch though, the original Star Wars adaptation has some fun stuff. Like Jabba the Hutt before he had an actual character design.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Hola was a Wonder Woman thing for a long goddamn time.

When's the last time she's said that? Latest I can think of was the third issue of JLA: Classified by Morrison. That "HOLA!" really stands out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

The "Doom had a minor scar" thing is perfectly compatible with those pages. The idea is that the lab accident back at the university gave him a fairly minor scar, which he blew completely out of proportion. His later, greater disfigurement was due to the armor.

The definitive version of this idea is from "Triumph and Torment" (I think) but I know it predates that. (Crops of pages four and six.)

Fraction retconned those monks into being different versions of Doom from across the multiverse. It was actually pretty awesome.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

When did he do this?

Fantastic Four #9.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

caboodle posted:

Abnett's version of Ryder/Nova in the Annilhation mini series and then his run in the short live Nova book where he was the last corpsman were immense.
Infact I'd go so far as to say they were some of the best comics I've ever read.
It was disappointing to see him replaced with a "Blue Beetle" style kiddy friendly kid.

RyderNova was originally a kid friendly kid hero. Marv Wolfman wanted a more Spidey like character while Adam Warlock and Captain Marvel were tripping balls in space.

DnA's Nova was cool and all, but an essential part of the character was lost when he grew up. SamNova is easily the best teen hero right now, with only Quentin Quire from WatXM as any sort of competition.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Because Havok is cursed to never have a decent costume.

:frogout: That costume is classic. Combined with his powers, it's beautiful in its simplicity.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Madrox posted:

The "Previously..." summary page in Fraction and Zdarsky's Sex Criminals #3.

Is it supposed to be cut off?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'm loving the new Nova. He has a strong supporting cast to bounce off of with his headstrong attitude.

I'd like to see Dick Rider come back so people can stop being so hard on Sam. Maybe put him on the Guardians of the Galaxy, because I think the New Nova has the Earth adventures covered.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Dwayne McDuffie told me he had to rewrite a couple JLA scripts when he realized someone snooped through his files when he got his laptop repaired.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I think the one with the scar is Storm's future daughter.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Gavok posted:

She's already playing all the angles, having associated with disgraced cop John Cena, crooked businessman Randy Orton and heroic anarchist CM Punk. She's been kidnapped by the Bella Twins and now all three of those guys are trying to find her. This has led to Cena and Orton being kidnapped by bayou cultists for mysterious reasons.

WWE Superstars is awesome, is what I'm saying.

Is it legit good? Or at least entertaining enough to a comic/wrestling fan?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

They really should have adapted the EMH comic issue with the Elders of the Universe, because Macho Man did a great Champion.

Seriously? How did I miss that. He did pretty much the same character on Dexters Laboratory.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

poo poo, he was even posting his videos here in BSS. I don't know if he actually posted outside of his shilling, but he made a Drunk Comicbook History: The Robins thread.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ashcans posted:

This reminds me of the animated Fantastic Four cartoon where Galactus is all set to eat the world and the Fantastic Four and guest-appearing Thor can't stop him. Then Ghost Rider fells him with a single Penance Stare, without even getting off his bike, because I guess Galactus has killed so many people having it turned back on him really hurts?

Of course, that is even weirder because I think that is the first and only appearance of Ghost Rider in the show. He just rides up, blasts Galactus, and then rides off.

Sorry for continuing the derail, but that was based off one of the Byrne FF issues, but it's Doctor Strange using a spell with pretty much the same effects. I believe it's the same issue that has Daredevil and Spider-Man sharing some popcorn because Galactus is so out of their league.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Stature is the only one that changes in those panels, and I don't hold it against them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Please explain the scenario where Dwayne gets mad about John Stewart being a soldier in the animated thread. Like being a marine instead of a loving architect is some huge insult to the character. Maybe with all the racism in US military history, having a black marine that's also a space cop is pretty loving cool. Dude that designs buildings is nice if you're already familiar with the Green Lantern concept, or using the rings for more than beams and bubbles.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Just noticed they gave Storm Ms.Marvel's old costume.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Kevin Smith was being sincere. Mark Millar was joking.

I have the Spider-Man/Skids Child Abuse comic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Don't most people puke their first time through?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

IUG posted:

I just took it as his old look was just abstract because that was the art of the time back when he was introduced way back in New Mutants. I figured anything else was just trying to copy his style from then, and this is how he is illustrated in a more modern style.

His eyes still popped out once he realized what was proposed though. :3:

God, he looks awful. Like something from Bay's Transformers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Red posted:

Look, villains were simpler in the 60s. You had your bumbling mobsters, your hot-paste shooting guys, guys who got really really tall with stilts, radioactive men, and your ex-Nazi scientists who turned themselves into swarms of bees.

Never forget Human Torch villain Asbestos Man. Wonder how he's doing.

• Locked thread