Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

While mine lacks malicious mammals, I like it all the same. I don't think I've ever seen a writer acknowledge lovely exposition in this way.

From Tales of Suspense #80

Edit: Hm, SA's image upload doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

God drat do I wish Mahnke would draw a Captain Marvel series. Just look at that.

He looks like someone symmetrified him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"No, can't let them destroy -- an entire village! Think of the terrible loss --- to America's reputation!"

Tales of Suspense #93

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Who needs the army or supersoldier programs or A.I.M.? As long as the circus is around in the Marvel universe there will be a steady stream of superheroes and villains.

Seriously, Stan Lee loves the circus. He probably would have made an awesome ringmaster, really.

Tales of Suspense #83

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

techknight posted:

Pete Ross' son is dying! The only thing that can cure him is to know Superman's secret identity.. But no one will believe the truth! From Action Comics #457:

Some days you just can't rid of your secret identity.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love that in two consecutive panels we get one hero who makes duplicates of himself as a mutant and one villain who makes duplicates of himself out of robots.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Perry Normal posted:

The other side of this coin is Batman's trip to Canada to promote literacy and Zellers.

I'll give them this: Edmonton is famous for their public plaza that dwarfs Red Square.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not enough titillation to have her covering up with a small towel, no, the artist had to include a crudely drawn buttcrack in the mirror.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Hey, I know a lot of you guys don't read the Comic Strip Megathread, so I decided to repost yesterday's Newspaper Spider-Man here.

The fact that JJJ is willing to jump up and enact a skit just to burn Parker is hilarious.

It's hard to believe that Pete doesn't constantly prank that jerk. I know some of you might say "But Lobok, we've seen him web JJJ's chair several times!" but no, I'm talking like, you have Amazing Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man and then you have a separate comic entirely called Spider-Man vs. JJJ where they're just loving with one another.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redbackground posted:

Scott's a fuckin' boss.

What's he doing there? Putting up an X for "X-Men"?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cassa posted:

Scarlet Spider is great and you should all maybe check it out because I think you might like it?

I will check it out, rabbi, thank you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nahxela posted:

I don't know the source as I found it while browsing Imgur, but if anyone does, I'd be happy to edit it in

Isn't it strange that at least a few of those Manatees would operate in the same way as the human versions? I don't see what would be much different about Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, and Aqua-Manatee.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Marvel: Master Comedian

Captain Marvel v1 #8

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

God, I love Newspaper Spider-Man more than any other Spider-Man.

They need to have Peter excel at this janitor job. Like, after being a shutterbug and lab geek and TA, he finds his life's calling.

"Parker, great work! It's so clean in here I'd swear you even cleaned the ceilings!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I have a theory that he just acts however the gently caress he wants because nobody knows how he's supposed to act. Sometimes it's hulkspeak, sometimes it's not, are you really gonna question the Hulk?

We can't hear it through speech bubbles, but Hulk often talks like one of the Karashian sisters just to thoroughly annoy people.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I love Ghost Rider's "Hey, watch it man!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's awesome.

And I love the panel of Ben. The inking on his eyes and colouring of his mouth make him look like he's got his tongue sticking out like a slob but with oh so pretty eye lashes. Like a combination of

:wink:

&

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm really feeling her sheer and utter terror here.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Waterhaul posted:

Captain America #11

This is how 99% of Nazis were caught.

True Fact: The "high five" was invented by undercover Nazis as a hasty way of correcting themselves if caught in the middle of a Heil Hitler salute. It's an interesting quirk of history that the phrase "don't leave me hangin'" was thus coined by non-native speakers of English.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Uh, no he doesn't, Tony. Interesting that that's the first thing your mind went to...

Iron Man #38

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought for a second there it said "Superman melts Frosty!". It could be a great bit of Super-dickery. Heat vision: Frosty's a puddle. Freeze breath: Frosty's back in action! Rinse and repeat.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Come on, it's simple. The penguin embryo develops by absorbing thermal energy from its mother sitting on the egg; when it reaches a certain threshold, it hatches. All eggs work that way. Superboy's heat vision just delivers the same amount of warmth much faster, causing the penguin to develop and hatch instantly. You can tell this is true by how the readers' letters do not question that part.

I love the idea that eggs only need X amount of heat energy, and it doesn't matter over what time period the absorption happens. If you want your chick to hatch, screw sitting on it for days - just pop it in the oven!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I guess even in 1973 Marvel was hearing it from the fans about the universe being too NY-centric.

Iron Man #62

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think this narration works better without any explanation.

Iron Man #66

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Uh oh! Accidentally stubbed my toe! I hope Lois doesn't notice that I punted her desk clear over the horizon!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Coughing Hobo posted:

I can just hear it in my head. The guy behind Supes is just seething with rage. You loving rear end in a top hat my car is on the bottom

That guy's reaction is the best because Superman's pose couldn't be worse. "It's me, your beloved Superman!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DarkCrawler posted:

Is there any comic book character more hilarious then Spider-Man? Seriously, I can't think of anyone who comes even close.

Daredevil 21

I can't tell if Spider-Man is joking or if this is uhh, the "Superior" Spider-Man if you get my spoilery drift.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are we to assume then that their real names are William and James Lieber?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Space Bats of Venus, (1952) by Basil Wolverton

Don't worry, the guy on the left is wearing the one thing that will protect astronauts from Brain Bats and all the harsh conditions of space - a 1940s leather football helmet!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you have a friend who's sworn off meat and eggs, check to see if they have only one, central nipple. Yep, they're a vegan.

Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe (Deluxe Edition)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah he hated the idea so much that he chose to use it in his comic.

For one thing it's a great way to have the mascot of the company and leader in guest appearances to job to that issue's enemy and require the titular hero to win the day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unfit For Space posted:

Sometimes I think The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 might be the best superhero comic ever made.

It is pretty swanky. Love those splash pages of each villain being taken down.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

techknight posted:

Hah, an old split identity story! I wonder what wacky situations the separated Clark and Superman will get into..

:stare:

It's like those puzzles where you have to count how many triangles there are. How many different reasons can YOU find for why this is dumb?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Taskmaster would basically be a watermark over a large portion of the image.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That story is pretty relevant for today. Two old people double-catfishing each other with android surrogates? loving amazing.

Also, as funny as ASTOUNDING MAN is, we already have characters like Mr. Fantastic who we can mention with a straight face.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redbackground posted:

Nowhere near enough flying penises.

Hey, you don't talk that way about Superm-- oh wait, now the name Superdickery makes sense.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Isn't anything that has to do with Cyclops pretty much one huge Oedipus complex, with emphasis on the complexity? Even from the very beginning, though he may not have known it, Cyclops was essentially competing with his father figure Prof. X for the affections of Jean Grey. Having evil, cloned, and future versions of your son and wife who fit all the various combinations of loving, loving, and wanting to kill each other is just adding more and more crazy layers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Welp. Here you go: :nws: http://i.imgur.com/SVlUp3w.jpg :nws:
Uncanny X-Men 191. An evil wizard sends all of New York back to the middle ages, including most of the cast of the Avengers and the X-Men. Supposedly that's Selene, but there are some shapeshifting shenanigans going on as well.

There's an awesome panel in the same comic wherein a crucified Spider-Man breaks free of the cross but that should probably go in the badass panels thread.

Do you have that panel to post? I've never seen it as I wasn't big on X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Iron Man #54: One of my favourite villain names of all time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread