Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Groda posted:

That's not really the case, for exactly the same square-cube law you mention. A lot of the safety systems required, and required to be highly redundant and nuclear specific, fall away as the square dominates the cube.

I don’t understand how having four safety systems is cheaper than one safety system, though? Or hooking one safety system up to four reactors is cheaper than hooking it up to one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

in a well actually posted:

I don’t understand how having four safety systems is cheaper than one safety system, though? Or hooking one safety system up to four reactors is cheaper than hooking it up to one?

Because not all safety systems are equal. A 1GWe reactor pressure vessel is going to require *vastly* more expensive and intricate safe shutdown mechanical, structural, electrical, instrumentation, and LSS components and infrastructure than SMRs. The complexity and redundancy are on a different scale.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it took me a while to get over this hump for smrs too

I know it doesn't make sense at first but keep thinking about it

scale does not always work in the direction of bigger = better, or more numerous systems = more numerous critical safety points of failure

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hypothetically, give a knowledgeable person a plasma cutter and a couple of hours and they will bring a gigawatt station to its knees

give the same person a plasma cutter and a couple of hours and the most damage they can do to an SMR is cease power production, or cause a very low level radiation leak

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 19, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

like, a genuine meltdown would require a team of people to deliberately drain the module immersion pool while another team of people hacked apart at the vessels' active cooling systems in the right sequence

insert adequate time for the pool to drain into the Earth, too

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

a lot of the rescue efforts around notorious meltdowns were complex because someone somewhere had to figure out how to get water into a complicated pressure vessel with limited access points, often under pressures that are challenging to supply without specialized pumps or existing reactor equipment working

any old firefighter department can just run a hose into an SMR pool and gg, even if somehow we got to the point where the immersion pool was maliciously (and somehow invisibly) drained by a saboteur before an accident disabled active cooling systems

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I don't think the 200 MW Indian unit is SMR to that degree, the main point for me proposing the smaller ones is that it would ideally not displace rollout of 700 MW units in India and a market like Western Australia would have issues; I think, if there units came in batches of 700 MW - as in two offline would be a big problem whereas two 200 MW units (out of six) offline would be quite easy to plan around.
For the Indian market, I assume 700 MW units going offline would be but a small blip on ye olde governors of the other generating units.

But good points about how a decrease in size might bring outsize benefits (or that there is a diseconomy of scale for nuclear reactors) to a at least a naive market.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

People are making it sound more intricate than it really is. As the surface/volume fraction goes up, passive heat transfer becomes more dominant over the heat generation. And, from an PWR/BWR core's perspective, as long as it's below the boiling point of its coolant, its fuel is practically incapable of being damaged by overheating. Also, certain water volumes in the primary system can't be scaled down proportionately, meaning that they will dominate transient heat production even more.

Now, I've had a few compost fires in my day, but those compost piles were >1 m³. My kitchen compost bucket never catches fire. If there were compost cooling systems for sale, I wouldn't be installing a 1:200 scale system for my kitchen compost bucket -- I'd just not need it.

Now, an 870 MW BWRX-300, for example, won't manage all of its cooling needs passively, but its need for multi-pressure emergency core cooling won't just be proportionally scaled

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I don't think the 200 MW Indian unit is SMR to that degree,
"SMR" is a silly term, and pretty much only NuScale was delivering on what it was promising in a utility scale.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

yea as of the total implosion of nuscale its officially time to start considering anyone talking about smr's kindof a schmuck

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

MightyBigMinus posted:

yea as of the total implosion of nuscale its officially time to start considering anyone talking about smr's kindof a schmuck

Or at least getting wound up in buzz words.

For India, at least some of the supposed benefits of SMR are being realised through fleet building anyway. Slowly and surely assemble a whole infrastructure and institutional knowledge around siting, planning, fabricating and constructing 700 MW units. I am sure they expect that whole infrastructure to be building out for 40 years or more. Young engineers will go to school, learn 700 MW units, get a job with the mob that does these things and retire having never worked on anything else - leaving their job to their family.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Isn’t that the model that France used successfully?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MightyBigMinus posted:

What does this mean? I don't think a company imploding has anything to do with the soundness of the technology. Can you specify who is being a schmuck?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
After Berlin-Brandenburg anyone talking about airports is a schmuck

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

MightyBigMinus posted:

Ok?

It's an indictment of the "modular" part of the acronym. They were selling a PWR/SG/containment that could be serially produced and delivered in a significantly pre-assembled state. Which seems to only be done at a reactor size slightly above that everybody else in this SMR discussion is pitching for the application of remote mining sites / military bases (but without the cycle lengths / infrastructure independence that they're claiming).

It's a long-term improvement that this SMR push did inspire a number of designs that genuinely take advantage of nuclear design experience to simplify designs in the 100-500 MWe range, based on the physical consequences of their size and the use of more passive cooling / pressure relief methods. And to minimize the number of nuclear-grade systems, structures and components required from the very beginning of the design phase.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some news I didn't expect to read now lol:

quote:

Exclusive: Ukraine to start building 4 new nuclear reactors this year

KYIV, Jan 25 (Reuters) - Ukraine expects to start construction work on four new nuclear power reactors this summer or autumn, Energy Minister German Galushchenko told Reuters on Thursday, as the country seeks to compensate for lost energy capacity due to the war with Russia.

Two of the units - which include reactors and related equipment - will be based on Russian-made equipment that Ukraine wants to import from Bulgaria, while the other two will use Western technology from power equipment maker Westinghouse.

All four reactors will be built at the Khmelnytskyi nuclear power plant in the west of Ukraine, Galushchenko added.

The timeline is more aggressive than previously outlined by Kyiv, which has spoken of starting work in some time in 2024 and without specifying that all four reactors could be developed simultaneously.

"I think (we'll start construction) in summer-autumn," Galushchenko said in an interview. "We need vessels," he added, referring to the reactor pressure vessels that will have to be imported. We want to do the third and fourth units right away."

Construction of the 3rd and 4th reactors at Khmelnytskyi began in the 1980s but was frozen.

Since gaining independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, Ukraine has built three new nuclear reactors - one each at Zaporizhzhia, Khmelnytskyi and Rivne nuclear power plants.

Today three nuclear power plants in Ukraine-controlled territory produce more than 55% of the country's electricity needs, but Kyiv wants to expand the sector to help compensate for the loss of Zaporizhzhia, Europe's largest nuclear plant.
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ukraine-start-building-4-new-nuclear-reactors-this-year-minister-2024-01-25/

Extremely blessed move. Maybe we could get some weapons-grade material out of it, as a treat.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Isn't this sort of a bad time to do that? :stare:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Some news I didn't expect to read now lol:

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/ukraine-start-building-4-new-nuclear-reactors-this-year-minister-2024-01-25/

Extremely blessed move. Maybe we could get some weapons-grade material out of it, as a treat.

The primary driver will be power of course, Ukraine is looking to be energy poor after this conflict (coal rich regions are to the East and coal should be avoided anyway) but I wonder if part of it is to cut Russia's grass on selling nuclear abroad? Ukraine has the technical knowhow to construct these things, probably near as well as the Russians. The Chinese and Indians are flat out supplying themselves with powerstations and Western nations such as the US/France/UK etc do not really have the knowhow to bust these things out (for now, France might re-learn it) so Russia was shaping up to be the biggest provider (alongside S. Korea?) of nuclear power stations outside China and India.

Ukraine might take a big chunk of that market as being more socially acceptable.

eightysixed posted:

It still takes 5-10 years to build these things, you can't put all your planning for the future on hold until after the conflict when the conflict is going to take several years if not a decade.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

That's a fair point :unsmith:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

eightysixed posted:

Best time was to start yesterday, second best is now!

They're adding the reactors at existing plants so I doubt it'll make any difference w.r.t. russia's fuckery anyway.

The primary driver will be power of course, Ukraine is looking to be energy poor after this conflict (coal rich regions are to the East and coal should be avoided anyway) but I wonder if part of it is to cut Russia's grass on selling nuclear abroad? Ukraine has the technical knowhow to construct these things, probably near as well as the Russians. The Chinese and Indians are flat out supplying themselves with powerstations and Western nations such as the US/France/UK etc do not really have the knowhow to bust these things out (for now, France might re-learn it) so Russia was shaping up to be the biggest provider (alongside S. Korea?) of nuclear power stations outside China and India.
Yeah beyond local energy needs perhaps technology export could become a thing. As far as I know this hasn't been a major factor until now but lots of Eastern Europe is still running on Soviet designs and maybe there's potential in the global south too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Also Ukraine NEEDS energy because some plans for new manufacturing plants are sucking up available power.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I don't see Ukraine building anything nuclear any time soon. They need money for that.

In other news..

quote:

US pauses decisions on LNG export terminals

he Biden administration will “temporary pause” pending decisions for liquefied natural gas (LNG) export terminals.

“My administration is announcing today a temporary pause on pending decisions of liquefied natural gas exports – with the exception of unanticipated and immediate national security emergencies,” the White House said in a statement.

The US will pause pending decisions on exports of LNG to non-FTA countries until the Department of Energy can update the underlying analyses for authorizations.

“During this period, we will take a hard look at the impacts of LNG exports on energy costs, America’s energy security, and our environment. This pause on new LNG approvals sees the climate crisis for what it is: the existential threat of our time,” the statement said.

This move, which comes as President Joe Biden enters an election year, has been reported in several media reports this week and it could potentially delay final investment decisions on several projects.

The projects include Venture Global’s CP2 LNG terminal, which is awaiting the final approval from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and also the non-FTA export authorization from the Department of Energy.

Responding to media reports earlier this week, a spokeswoman for Venture Global said that “such an action would shock the global energy market, having the impact of an economic sanction, and send a devastating signal to our allies that they can no longer rely on the United States.”

“The true irony is this policy would hurt the climate and lead to increased emissions as it would force the world to pivot to coal,” she said.

Texas-based Energy Transfer is also planning to take a final decision this year to build its Lake Charles LNG export facility in Louisiana, depending on the export approval by the DOE.

Moreover, Commonwealth LNG also aims to take FID this year on its 9.3 mtpa LNG facility under development in Cameron, Louisiana.

US LNG exports to Europe

The US is already the number one exporter of LNG worldwide – with US LNG exports expected to double by the end of this decade, the White House said.

“Today’s announcement will not impact our ability to continue supplying LNG to our allies in the near-term,” the statement said.

Last year, roughly half of US LNG exports went to Europe, and the US has worked with the EU to economize consumption and manage its storage to “ensure that unprovoked acts of aggression cannot threaten its supply,” it said.

The statement said that current economic and environmental analyses DOE uses to underpin its LNG export authorizations are roughly five years old and “no longer adequately account for considerations like potential energy cost increases for American consumers and manufacturers beyond current authorizations or the latest assessment of the impact of greenhouse gas emissions.”

The pause, which is subject to exception for unanticipated and immediate national security emergencies, will provide the time to integrate these “critical considerations”, the statement said.
https://lngprime.com/americas/us-pauses-decisions-on-lng-export-terminals/103244/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dante80 posted:

I don't see Ukraine building anything nuclear any time soon. They need money for that.

Huh?

quote:

All four reactors will be built at the Khmelnytskyi nuclear power plant in the west of Ukraine, Galushchenko added.
The timeline is more aggressive than previously outlined by Kyiv, which has spoken of starting work in some time in 2024 and without specifying that all four reactors could be developed simultaneously.

Literally this year.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Huh?

Literally this year.

Yeah...I said I don't see it happening. Regardless of what Galushchenko said. They haven't bought anything yet, either from Bulgaria or Westinghouse. Neither have they passed any legislation on it. Last time they tried with KEPCO to finish 3 and 4, they went nowhere too.

I'm not optimistic.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 28, 2024

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news, NJ is back.

New Jersey resuscitates offshore wind with two new projects
https://electrek.co/2024/01/25/new-jersey-resuscitates-offshore-wind-with-two-new-projects/

quote:

Ørsted dealt New Jersey a massive blow by canceling 2.2 gigawatts (GW) of offshore wind last year, but the state just added 3.7 GW of new projects to its pipeline.

New Jersey was expected to announce another offshore wind solicitation at the beginning of 2024, and it’s delivered. Its Board of Public Utilities (BPU) has awarded contracts to Leading Light Wind and Attentive Energy Two – what will become two of the US’s largest offshore wind farms.

The 2.4 GW Leading Light Wind will be sited more than 40 miles off New Jersey’s coast and is expected to power more than 1 million homes. A joint venture of Invenergy and energyRe, they’re the first US-based developers to have won a competitive contract for a US offshore wind farm. Construction is expected to begin in 2028, and the completion target is 2032.

The 1.34 GW Attentive Energy Two will be sited 42 miles off New Jersey’s coast, will connect at Sea Girt, and is expected to power more than 650,000 homes. It’s a joint venture of TotalEnergies, Rise Light & Power, and Corio Generation. (Attentive Energy One is a 1.4 GW project in New York State announced in November 2023.) Attentive Energy’s website doesn’t say when Attentive Energy Two will start construction, but it states that it’s committed to the “state’s mission of achieving a 100% clean energy economy by 2035.”

(...)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Dante80 posted:

In other news, NJ is back.

New Jersey resuscitates offshore wind with two new projects
https://electrek.co/2024/01/25/new-jersey-resuscitates-offshore-wind-with-two-new-projects/

Being offshore, it should have great capacity factor compared to onshore wind so that 2.4 GW will be more than it looks on first blush.

However, completion slated for 8 years from now on a large project with the expected cost and time over-runs, I foresee that it is not going to be too different in how technical issues cruel a lot of the large projects being done as a one off (ie all of the recent nuclear projects in Western nations).

I assume NJ has access to large hydro generation to provide the dispatchability that will really partner well with the offshore wind?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Being offshore, it should have great capacity factor compared to onshore wind so that 2.4 GW will be more than it looks on first blush.

However, completion slated for 8 years from now on a large project with the expected cost and time over-runs, I foresee that it is not going to be too different in how technical issues cruel a lot of the large projects being done as a one off (ie all of the recent nuclear projects in Western nations).

I assume NJ has access to large hydro generation to provide the dispatchability that will really partner well with the offshore wind?

That’s what the Niagara is for, yeah. That’s the magic of grids.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

No, it has to be in NJ. What if New York or Pennsylvania leave the union?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

No, it has to be in NJ. What if New York or Pennsylvania leave the union?

Well, in that case take a look at my crayon sketches for a TVA-BAMA hvdc connector (the B is for Baltimore in this cyberpunk scenario)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Crossposting Leon's post from USCE:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The IRA included incetives for nuclear power and money for research into modular nuclear reactors, but didn't include anything for restarting or constructing new nuclear reactors.

However, it did give the energy department broader authority to issue loans for nuclear power plants.

The DOE is set to announce today that for the first time ever, the U.S. will be reactivating a decommissioned nuclear reactor in Michigan. They also hope to engage New York to reactivate their reactor that was closed down recently, but have no official action or loan offer for that one yet.

They are also looking into ways to prevent about half of the active nuclear power plants in the U.S. that are currently in danger of shuttering from being shut down. No specifics on that portion yet either, though.

quote:

Scoop: Biden is set to issue a $1.5B loan to restart a closed Michigan nuclear power plant, paving the way for a shuttered U.S. reactor to reopen for the first time.

Biden to Offer $1.5 Billion Loan to Restart Michigan Nuclear Power Plant | Bloomberg
https://twitter.com/AriNatter/status/1752471759280890059

quote:

Biden to Offer $1.5 Billion Loan to Restart Michigan Nuclear Power Plant

(Bloomberg) -- The Biden administration is poised to lend $1.5 billion for what what would be the first restart of a shuttered US nuclear reactor, the latest sign of strengthening federal government support for the atomic industry.

The funding, which is set to get conditional backing from the US Energy Department, will be offered as soon as next month to closely held Holtec International Corp. to restart its Palisades nuclear plant in Michigan, according to people familiar with the matter.

Holtec has said a restart of the reactor is contingent on a federal loan. Without such support, the company has said it would decommission the site.

The financing comes as the Biden administration prioritizes maintaining the nation’s fleet of nuclear plants to help meet its ambitious climate goals — including a plan to decarbonize the electricity grid by 2035. More than a dozen reactors have closed since 2013 amid competition from cheaper power from natural gas and renewables, and the Energy Department has warned that as many of half of the nation’s nuclear reactors are at risk of closing due to economic factors.

A spokeswoman for the Energy Department’s Loan Programs Office declined to comment, citing business confidentiality.

Nick Culp, a Holtec spokesman, said the company was “very optimistic” about the Energy Department loan process.

“This is a historic opportunity for the country and Michigan,” Culp said. “As we transition away from fossil fuels, nuclear is going to be a critical part of not only reaching our climate goals but doing so in a way that ensures the lights stay on.”

Holtec acquired the 800-megawatt power plant in 2022 after Entergy Corp. closed it due to financial reasons, but began pushing forward with plans to restart after pleas from Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer.

The Juniper, Florida-based company’s plans for a restart got a boost after Wolverine Power Cooperative, a local power company, agreed to buy as much as two-thirds of the plant’s output starting as soon as late 2025, though additional hurdles, including sign off from federal nuclear regulators, remains.

The funding would be backed by a loan guarantee program designed to revitalize old energy plants that was created in President Joe Biden’s climate law. If successful, Palisades would be the first nuclear reactor financed by the Biden administration.

The announcement, expected in late February, comes as Republicans have targeted the Energy Department loan program as they seek to score a political victory in an election year. But the funding has backing from several Republicans including Michigan Representative Bill Huizenga, who was the led signer of a letter from nine lawmakers urging Energy Secretary Granholm to approve the loan.

“Repowering Palisades could significantly grow the region’s economy, strengthen our domestic energy security, and return safe, reliable, and carbon-free generation back to the electrical grid,” wrote the lawmakers, who included five Republicans.

Didn't seem anyone was talking about it here, good news, and more reasons to hope Biden gets 4 more years.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Four years of what? Life? Poor dude can’t even put sentences together anymore :(

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2024/02/04/solar-power-in-kansas/71920670007/

quote:

The land owned by the Knoche family is just one spot in a statewide fight in Kansas, which has both the nation’s fourth best wind resources and, as solar power technology has become more efficient, strong solar as well: the same sunlight that drives photosynthesis in large-scale crops like corn can generate energy in solar panels.

Today, the state gets 47.13% of its electricity from wind and 0.33% from solar.

Yet now, 14 of the 105 counties in Kansas block wind turbines and 12 block solar farms. These include outright bans, height restrictions, unworkable setbacks for turbines, size limitations for solar farms, caps on the amount of agricultural land that can be used and, in McPherson County, an “indefinite moratorium” on solar applications.
A sign reading No Industrial Solar in Johnson County, Kansas in response to a proposed solar project in the county. February 24, 2023

These efforts mirror those in hundreds of counties and townships across the nation, where the merest hint of a potential project quickly brings forth a Facebook group, yard signs, organized protests and – increasingly – zoning rules and laws that make new renewable energy impossible to build.

Seen as just one flare-up in a nationwide trend to oppose local green-energy projects, the fight in Johnson County shouldn’t be surprising.

But to Donna Knoche, 93, and her husband Robert “Doc” Knoche, 95, it’s bewildering – and annoying.

For them, leasing acres to a solar farm would simplify their land’s care, keep it available for farming when the lease runs out and allow it to continue to be passed on through the generations.

“We figured it was just one of those sorts of things that you could do – like buying a house or leasing a car. You could just do it on your own and not have to deal with all this complexity,” Donna said.

Instead, it has become a five-year battle.

“I had no idea it would drag on this long,” said Doc.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2024/02/04/us-counties-ban-renewable-energy-plants/71841063007/

quote:

A nationwide analysis by USA TODAY shows local governments are banning green energy faster than they’re building it.

At least 15% of counties in the U.S. have effectively halted new utility-scale wind, solar, or both, USA TODAY found. These limits come through outright bans, moratoriums, construction impediments and other conditions that make green energy difficult to build.

The impediments come as a gigantic effort to build green energy also is under way. U.S. energy from commercial wind and solar is expected to hit 19% by 2025, and those sources are expected to surpass the amount of electricity made from coal this year.

But green energy must increase radically over the next 11 years to meet U.S. goals. And those projects are becoming harder to build.
Because large-scale solar and wind projects typically are built outside city limits, USA TODAY’s analysis focuses on restrictions by the county-level governments that have jurisdiction. In a few cases, such as Connecticut, Tennessee and Vermont, entire states have implemented near-statewide restrictions.

While 15% of America’s counties might sound like a small portion, the trend has significant consequences, says Jeff Danielson, a former four-term Iowa state senator now with the Clean Grid Alliance.

“It’s 15% of the most highly productive areas to develop wind and solar,” he said. “Our overall goals are going to be difficult to achieve if the answer is ‘No’ in county after county.”

However, opposition also has shot up, according to USA TODAY’s analysis. Of the 116 counties implementing bans or impediments to utility-scale solar plants, half did so in 2023 alone.

This surge in obstacles is unprecedented since green-energy technology gained broad acceptance.

“The local regulation landscape for renewables is changing quickly,” said Tamara Ogle, a member of the land use team at Purdue University Extension, who inventoried Indiana’s renewable energy ordinances in 2022.

Local obstructions sometimes take the form of outright bans or moratoriums. But other rules also block green power: burdensome limits on size, height or locations. Some places put caps on total size, or implement complex rules that prevent solar from replacing specially designated areas such as “prime farmland.”

These limits can mean wind or solar farms are allowed in theory, but may be impossible to build in reality.

USA TODAY’s analysis considered a variety of limits to determine which ones were restrictive enough to effectively block new power projects. One example is a “setback” requirement for wind turbines. The larger the setback – a mandatory distance from a neighboring property line or structure – the larger the plot of land required for each turbine and the fewer that can be built.

“Every year we’re seeing restrictions that are more severe,” said Matt Eisenson, senior fellow at Columbia Law School’s Sabin Center for Climate Change Law. “You now have counties in Nebraska that have 3-mile setbacks for wind turbines, so if you have a square plot of land, you would need 36 square miles to site a single wind turbine.”

Solar farms might be allowed, but subject to size restrictions that make them impractical. For example, in Virginia, 14 counties have set maximums on either the percentage of land or the number of acres that can be covered in solar panels, significantly restricting the size and number of possible projects.

Other jurisdictions create shadow bans of sorts. Projects might not technically be banned, but officials simply reject all green energy plans on a case-by-case basis.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You left out the best part:

quote:

Opponents decried what they call industrial wind and solar and said the installations have no place in an idyllic landscape of corn, wheat, soybeans and cattle.

They said solar panels would drip toxic chemicals from their glass into the ground, contaminating wells. The land under them would heat up and kill all surrounding vegetation. The solar cells and batteries planned to accompany them would be at risk for catastrophic fires that country firefighters would be unable to contain.

The problem with these concerns is that almost none of them are true.

Old rurals workin' real hard to justify the stereotypes right there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

A very disappointing article where they do enough research to find all the indications that a whole heap of the local ordinances are the product of front groups and concerted campaigns, and then they don't connect the dots, at all. Gosh, people at meetings across the country are participating in opaquely funded opposition groups with closed planning meetings, show up using the same talking points and new terminology? How could this be happening?!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

A very disappointing article where they do enough research to find all the indications that a whole heap of the local ordinances are the product of front groups and concerted campaigns, and then they don't connect the dots, at all. Gosh, people at meetings across the country are participating in opaquely funded opposition groups with closed planning meetings, show up using the same talking points and new terminology? How could this be happening?!

Eh, energy generation is very far from putting food on the plate (or being a car park spot for the family car) so it is easy to organise against. This is not new. Nuclear in the 80's because of the hundreds of hectares of land it takes and the hundreds of tonnes of waste that needs to be buried, hydro dams ahead of that, solar and wind after and coal throughout. Additionally, like mines/dam developments/etc, companies struggle to get their consultation and community engagement right. Local stakeholders are always the first priority and it seems only now green movements have an issue with them now that it impacts their dreams.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
in German, but tl;dr:

Czech government halts tender to build nuclear reactor because they're going to re-tender for 4 reactors instead.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

suck my woke dick posted:

in German, but tl;dr:

Czech government halts tender to build nuclear reactor because they're going to re-tender for 4 reactors instead.

:yeshaha:

that should be enough to replace all the coal plant capacity

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Local stakeholders are always the first priority and it seems only now green movements have an issue with them now that it impacts their dreams.

Is it really meaningful to talk of a US ‘green movement’ as a thing distinct from oil industry lobbyists?

Opposing alternatives to oil, gas and coal is where the money is, and the movement has never been organised or independent enough to go against that incentive. You can’t do studies, write reports or show up as a talking head on news media unless someone is paying your salary. And the energy industry is pretty much always that someone.

It’s only actually governments, and to a lesser extent large non-energy corporations, that are an even attempting to do anything about carbon emissions. And that’s for self-interested technocratic reasons that will always wilt in the face of sufficient popular opposition.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Eh, energy generation is very far from putting food on the plate (or being a car park spot for the family car) so it is easy to organise against. This is not new. Nuclear in the 80's because of the hundreds of hectares of land it takes and the hundreds of tonnes of waste that needs to be buried, hydro dams ahead of that, solar and wind after and coal throughout. Additionally, like mines/dam developments/etc, companies struggle to get their consultation and community engagement right. Local stakeholders are always the first priority and it seems only now green movements have an issue with them now that it impacts their dreams.

Except he’s absolutely right and if these guys had done the slightest bit of homework they would have discovered this has been happening since at least 2012 and seems to be a concentrated effort by anti wind and solar money (probably the Kochs at least, likely others as well, all tied to oil and coal) to push for these onerous restrictions at rural county level government. They’ve been quite successful at seeding fear and doubt among an already prone to conspiratorial thinking rural populace who are convinced wind and solar are going to poison their land and drive their cows crazy and other batshit bullshit (windmill cancer?!)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yes, "windmill cancer" is a thing that certain interest groups have been pushing. What's supposedly causing the cancer is infrasound and electromagnetic radiation.

You can read about all the fun propaganda talking points the coal & gas industry has been coming up with here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_turbine_syndrome

And that's just the health related claims. There are vast numbers of other insane claims like them eradicating bird populations, changing the weather, leading to blackouts or not being deployable in large numbers, their shadows disturbing wildlife, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Oracle posted:

Except he’s absolutely right and if these guys had done the slightest bit of homework they would have discovered this has been happening since at least 2012 and seems to be a concentrated effort by anti wind and solar money (probably the Kochs at least, likely others as well, all tied to oil and coal) to push for these onerous restrictions at rural county level government. They’ve been quite successful at seeding fear and doubt among an already prone to conspiratorial thinking rural populace who are convinced wind and solar are going to poison their land and drive their cows crazy and other batshit bullshit (windmill cancer?!)

Outside agendas whispering into the ears of local stakesholders is not new or something invented by the dickhead Koch Bros (Greenpeace are gurus at it). It is part of the scene and just another thing that has to be factored into project development costs. This doesn't mean that local stakeholders are in the wrong for pushing for consultation like with any project, a lot of the time they didn't know they can agitate to not have to stare at a great big windmill from the kitchen they were raised in.