Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Thorium reactors are a promising technology but since they aren't ready for commercial deployment yet an accurate analysis of cost can't be made. The outline for an Australia using only renewables was done with existing technologies in mind but even then true cost can't be known without actually trying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

So is this thread gonna be our D&D energy Thunderdome? :haw:
Also where is the section about Space based Solar in the OP? :colbert:
I know Japan and the U.S DOD is looking into using it in the near future.

I really can't see how space based solar makes any sense given the astronomical (:v:) cost of launching anything into space. Consider how many tons of mirrors a solar thermal plant rated at 200MW needs, and even if you magically quadrupled that figure by putting it in space you'd probably still be better off putting it on the ground. Same goes for PV.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

There's also the matter of how much energy it takes to launch things into space. How long would a space based solar array have to work just to pay off the energy debt of launching it?

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Even if I concede the point that the EROEI is not as bad as my intuition told me, that link goes on to describe how it would be much more expensive and not save that much land area compared to ground based solar.

it's outside the scope of this thread but I also don't actually believe that space exploration can save us from ourselves. The only long term solution I know of is to lower our population to a more sustainable level, which apparently affluent and well educated societies do by themselves. Populations always expand until limited by resources, so getting more resources in space won't help so much as subverting this trend through cultural means.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

^^^^

I'm not sure exactly how to parse your post here, but if you wanted 6000 square miles of PVs surely it would be more cost effective and easy from an engineering standpoint to just cover buildings with them?

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Aureon posted:

Hydro as a backup is a terrible idea, unless you mean basin pumping.
Hydro is active 24/7, it's completely free and has no running costs, why would you turn it off to build solar?

For something to be a backup, it needs to be on-demand power, with low build costs and not necessarily low activity costs.

Having something with an uptime higher than 0.95 as a "backup" is kind of ridiculous if there's nothing preventing it from running full time free of charge.

95% uptime and being cheap are both amazing reasons to use hydro as a backup, especially combined with it's ability to wind up and down extremely quickly. If we run it full time it isn't actually 'free of charge' because it would mean we need to build additional storage to ween ourselves off non renewable energy sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Aureon posted:

it's also known as basin pumping.
It's also very limited in scope, unless you build reservoirs for it especially, and not terribly efficient (around 40% if memory serves)

It doesn't need to have massive storage, just enough to run for a couple of days. Plans for national (or even international) renewable energy grids call for large scales such that the whole thing will not go down at once. Australia is great for this since it is always sunny/windy somewhere, and because of this your backup at most would only have to reach some proportion of the minimum energy requirements for those few occasions where it is both cloudy and still over large parts of the country. 40% efficiency for storage is also exceptionally good, especially for a system that won't lose energy over time unlike thermal or chemical systems.

Edit: this article mentions that pumped hydro has an efficiency of 70-75%

Turks fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 8, 2012