Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
When you talk about energy generation, perhaps a branch of the discussion might be to incorporate what that energy is being used for - and if there are alternatives to how we are using energy now.

Consider weatherization of homes, for example. I'm somewhat familiar with this, and it's one of the most cost-effective things you, personally, can do. More efficient construction methods would reduce the need for air conditioning (thus electric) and heating (various).

A supplement to this tangent is solar thermal heating. There are, for example, youtube DIY videos (and commercial versions) of solar thermal panels for the purpose of heating homes and businesses, and they are rather effective. I believe there is also underground air conditioning, but I'm less familiar with that. Would this be an acceptable side discussion for this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Anosmoman posted:

The problem is the battery. Renewables would be a lot more viable if we could just store the energy in a practical and economical way. It doesn't matter if wind mills become 50% cheaper or solar panels 100% more efficient - as long as we don't have The Battery their use will not go beyond supplemental generation.

This guy might be on to something but who knows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfTAaeQfCts

This is one of the big things, yeah. Look at say, Star Wars technology. Pretty sci-fi, but... a lot of the tech in that fictional universe would be possible in the real world if we had equivalent power storage capabilities. Hell, we have ion engine vehicles in space now.

That's why gasoline is still king, though - it has superior energy density versus batteries that we have in wide use right now. Ideally, we need to become much more efficient in our consumption of energy while waiting for energy storage tech to catch up.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
I saw this video on Thorium (it's... not the most visually appealing video) and it has some crazy information in it.

Like... U.S. nuclear reactors being extremely inefficient based on Navy technology, who didn't care about efficiency.

Also, Nixon killing Thorium research in the 1970s.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
There's a non-powered way to heat homes using passive solar heating.

It works pretty well and can help in some areas. Not sure how much it would help in Chicago versus weatherizing.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

PhazonLink posted:

Speaking of solar, anyone hear about France having a small segment of solar road that costs like a million $ for just 50 feet or something.

If by a million for 50 feet you mean $5.2 million per kilometer, then yes.

Unfortunately, normal asphalt roads are loving expensive anyway. Comparatively speaking (and this info can be found elsewhere than this article):

quote:

Construct a new 2-lane undivided road – about $2 million to $3 million per mile in rural areas, about $3 million to $5 million in urban areas.
This was built in a small town, so using high-end rural/low-end urban of about $3million per mile and converting to kilometers would be a bit under $1.9 million per kilometer.

274% of the cost, I suppose. They don't really know how long it will last. Comparatively, asphalt is expected to last around 20 years. I wouldn't say it gets that old before it's poo poo to drive on in Oklahoma, though.

Still probably a bad idea:
https://twitter.com/percytwits/status/548754743557128192

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

fishmech posted:

Uh, dude, according to that article, it's a kilometer long but only 30,000 square feet of solar panels - that means at a full kilometer long it can only be 9 feet wide or about 2.8 meters wide. The pictures in the article support that, it's only actually covering the middle portion of a single lane. That's not even wide enough to count as a full highway lane in most of the US or Europe. If we take that price as a baseline, then at minimum you need to spend $10.4 million per kilometer of actual two direction road with very narrow lanes, more for lanes of a sane width.

That means the solar road is at minimum 5x the cost of a normal road, to achieve no real benefit.

I don't think it's a good idea anyway, but I had overlooked that it was a (partial) single lane. I was thinking less than 300% the cost seemed low, but didn't really investigate it. So, 548% the cost... really not worth it at all.

Looks like a foot or more on either side of the panels in the images, plus the centerline obviously is still asphalt.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 30, 2016