Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's perfectly feasible

Can someone tell me if that's what Kaal's link actually means? I get that it extracts 7 times as much 7 times as fast, but is that enough to be viable?

And once it starts happening at scale, would removing those quantities of uranimum have any affect on the functioning on the oceans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

America installed 3.2 GW of solar PV this year:

quote:

Americans installed a record number of rooftop solar panels, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association. The group expects a total national installation of 3.2 gigawatts this year, 684 megawatts of which was installed in the third quarter alone. And fourth quarter rooftop panel projects could double to 1,200 megawatts – the highest number ever.

A drop in solar panel prices combined with the rise of leasing programs has made it less costly and easier for homeowners to invest in rooftop solar panels, Bloomberg News reports, resulting in a surge of residential solar installations. “While Q3 2012 was remarkable for the U.S. PV market, it is just the opening act for what we expect to see in Q4,” Shayle Kann, vice president of research at GTM Research, said in the statement.

More companies and government agencies are turning to solar energy as well, SEIA announced. Such programs rose 24 per cent in the third quarter to a total of 258 megawatts. This trend will continue with installations expected to soar an additional 25 per cent next year to 4 gigawatts. Even as our leadership lags in the face of climate change, the people are taking power into their own hands.

Via Bloomberg

http://inhabitat.com/americans-installed-a-record-number-of-rooftop-solar-panels-
this-year/

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Wow, great to see this charging along - Sorry I haven't been around, lucky it doesn't matter much cos plenty of people know a lot more than me, so thanks everyone for the great posts.

I'm after some videos, mostly site tours of various facilities, to try and make the whole thing a bit more accessible. Basically showing us how we get energy out of these resources - what's actually involved, etc.

Here's the best one I've found of a solar thermal plant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSkKGuR1HKE

A coal mine (could use a better soundtrack):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzt-45ePI7w

Oil drilling / Roughnecking (Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC_rRRlq1lc

Cheap, clean, natural gas: Earth's one good feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNdhFi3MHZQ

One I found while looking for wind farm stuff: "Turbine Cowboys" (22 min show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e76W7mg5V_M

Speaking of wind, this technically counts I guess - World speed sailing record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnjyusAgk8I

Dancefloor generator: A bit of a gimmick, but interesting nonetheless:

http://vimeo.com/58465094

Anyway that's just a start, so if anyone's got some good nuclear ones (preferably including the mining), or wave/tidal, solar PV, Geothermal, etc, that'd be much appreciated.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Natural gas is cheap and cleaner than other fossil fuels but it's still produces green house gases and other pollutants.

Also, it's mostly methane which is a greenhouse gas in and of itself and at offshore rigs they just vent it into the atmosphere directly to get at the oil underneath. (At land based rigs they burn it off as to not create a fire hazard and all)

I just wanted to get this off my chest because the idea of clean NG is a myth.Granted, it's way better than burning coal or oil.

Yes, as Wibbleman astutely pointed out above, the video was from satirical site 'the onion', and was in there in the hope of bringing a chuckle to whoever clicked it. Can't be all serious all the time.

I would have thought it was pretty obvious, although as satire it does a great job of parroting the lines of the pro-gas lobby.

I'm more intersted in Quantum Mechanics's stance on gas - I know BZE are vehemently anti-gas, do you see any place for it as a transition fuel, to help back up our generators until we get widespread reliable renewable deployment? Is that an acceptable compromise with the political and technological reality of our energy needs? Or should we reject it outright?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Can we please go back to talking about real energy generation instead of this steorn-type bullshit?

Yeah that's not a bad idea.

... So no ones got any videos then (like the ones I asked about in my last post)? Come on, surely..

Went to a Food Waste to Energy plant a few days ago, this one: http://www.earthpower.com.au/ They take truck loads of food (still in packaging), put it through anaerobic digestion, and get gas and fertiliser out.

I think a few pages ago someone said they went to a similar thing, in the US maybe? How common are they around the world?

I asked about burning the gas, and the lady taking us around said they didn't burn it, they put it through an 'alternator' to get electricity. It didn't sound right, and further investigation on the website shows it's not right, but when I pressed her about it she assured us that wasn't the case. Weird. I also asked how much power it generates (in terms of MW, or kWh per year, or whatever), and she said she didn't really know either. On the website it says at full capacity it's enough to power 3,600 homes, which seems high, but whatever.

Realistically, I see these things as more of a waste management strategy than an energy generation one, but it's good to see all these tonnes of waste not going to landfill. Sure, you can get methane out of a landfill too, but here you get fertilizer too.

The main problem I see with it is that they don't really check the loads for contamination. After it gets dumped by the truck, all the material just gets put through a 'pulper', which is basically just a washing machine type set up, where it gets whooshed around a big vat of hot water for 30 minutes, which removes some of the bad stuff. But a lot still gets through, so the digestors fill up with contaminants, and they have to close them for 12 months and spend millions of dollars cleaning them, which makes it very difficult to make a profit out of them.

Anyway it was a fun morning. Not sure if we're going to be able to use them in our business, but it's good to know what's out there.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Sydney is launching a plan to overhaul our energy supply, if anyone is interested there's a detailed 118 page plan here:

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/vision/on-exhibition/current-exhibitions/details/renewable-energy-master-plan

website: http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/vision/sustainability/energy/renewable-energy

They talk about 100% renewable, but reading through the plan they only seem to aiming for 30% renewable, and most of that comes from swapping natural gas for renewable gas, which seems to be collected from wastes (agricultural, landfill, etc). They aim to get the bulk of it from within the bounds of the city, through roof mounted installations (PV, solar thermal hot water, and micro wind turbines on buildings over 30 stories high), and tri generation plants inside buildings, which seems like a good way to reduce transmission losses.

They also mention a bit of ocean and tidal, and there's a good list of case studies of renewable installations around the world at the end.

Anyway it's a pretty good crack, lots of graphs and maps and figures, thought it might be of interest to people here. Critical eyes are always good. They're presenting it at town hall on Monday night, I'm planning on going. Any Syd goons up for it? Quantum Mechanic?

In other news, a gas company has announced a $450 million solar PV farm in rural NSW:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/carbon-economy/agl-unveils-australias-biggest-solar-energy-plants-20130731-2qy10.html

150 MW, 375 Hectares, 50% government funded, 450 jobs during construction, expected to produce 360,000 megawatt-hours of electricity annually. I'd prefer they put a solar thermal plant there personally, but hey, should be a good boost for the industry, and a step in the right direction I suppose.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

blacksun posted:

Quantum Mechanic or Hobo Erotica care to respond to this?

Not entirely sure what you mean by this, the post seems to speak for itself. Maybe I'm misreading a tone, but if you're trying to imply that I'm anti nuclear in certain situations you've got the wrong guy.

That said, there are plenty of articles describing how the cost curve for solar PV continues to plummet, and they serve as an excellent way of quietly smoothing the energy demand spikes which electricity retailers charge huge premiums for. But as QM said, they're not great for utility scale deployment, and they can be expensive. And since not all solar resources are equal, there are going to be circumstances where nuclear is the way to go, maybe even in Australia. As I said in the OP, once it's up and running it packs a hell of a punch, and has safely delivered a whole bunch of TWh of power across the world.

I still like videos so here's a nice time lapse of the biggest rooftop installation in Sydney going up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQU6R1_ZUXg

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Been a good few months for wind around here:

quote:

Wintry blasts blow away wind energy records

Blustery weather in the middle of August has sent a slew of wind energy records tumbling.

NSW wind farms generated 35 gigawatt-hours of electricity in the week starting August 18, beating the previous high for the state by about 9 per cent, consultants Intelligent Energy Systems said.

Those gales, though, had a bigger impact the previous week, when South Australia and Victoria generated record wind energy, while Tasmania and NSW recorded some of their highest totals.

Wind farms supplied 290 gigawatt-hours of power to the National Electricity Market from August 11 to 17, shattering the previous record by 18 per cent, IES chief executive Brett Gebert said. The following week's 250-gigawatt-hour total was the second highest on record.

For the first of those two weeks, wind energy to the NEM exceeded the total from Victoria's brown-coal fired Hazelwood power plant - possibly for the first time - by 13 per cent, and fell just 10 per cent short of NSW's giant black-coal Bayswater Power Station.

''There was no coal-fired power in SA at all - just gas and wind for those two record weeks,'' said Ketan Joshi, a research and communications officer at wind farm operator Infigen Energy.

In the peak week, wind farms supplied the power needs of about 2.3 million homes, about 7.6 per cent of total demand, IES said.

NSW lags SA and Victoria in wind farm capacity. AGL's Macarthur Wind Farm in western Victoria, the largest in the southern hemisphere with 420 megawatt capacity, eclipses NSW's total capacity of 282 megawatts.

Last month, AGL said it was delaying plans for the 300-megawatt first stage of a $550 million wind farm development planned for Silverton, near Broken Hill, because of uncertainty over the national Renewable Energy Target.

The Coalition has vowed to review the target next year if elected next month. The Rudd government wants the next review to be delayed until 2016.

The NSW government has also held off confirming planning guidelines for wind farms for about two years. Companies such as Infigen say the guidelines are the toughest conditions for such projects in the world.

''Those guidelines will play a huge role in how the effects we've seen in Victoria and SA play out in NSW,'' Mr Joshi said. ''There's a huge capacity for NSW to have the same effect, at times, of wind energy crowding out fossil fuels pretty significantly.''

During the windier of the two recent weeks, AGL's wind farms were all operating at about 70 per cent capacity, the company said. That compared with industry averages of 25 per cent top 40 per cent, Mr Joshi said.

By the second week, though, capacity at Macarthur was still at 50 per cent while other AGL wind farms ranged from 44 to 63 per cent, the company said.

I'm sure those numbers aren't that big internationally, but it's good to know we're getting better by some pretty significant margins.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/carbon-economy/wintry-blasts-blow-away-wind-energy-records-20130826-2skhk.html#ixzz2dGioBpRV

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

That Sagan article is beautiful, as always.

Did this get much press in the US, if any? How's it looking?

World's Largest Solar Thermal Energy Plant Opens in California
http://inhabitat.com/ivanpah-worlds-largest-solar-thermal-energy-plant-starts-production-in-california

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

It generates nothing next to a gas, coal, or nuclear plant, and takes up about the same size if not more.

We're talking about ~ 400 MW, which is a fair whack, and about half of one of the plants you mentioned, not really 'nearly nothing'.

Are you including the land footprint of the mine etc in the comparison?

Assuming we prefer not mining and burning fossil fuels, what's the biggest size differnce you'd tolerate to make it worth while?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

But lets take a quick look:

SEGS Solar Generating Plant: 1,600 Acres @ 398 MW
Sequoyah Nuclear Generating Station: 525 Acres @ 2,333 MW

So, for the acreage, I get 4.44 MW per Acre for nuclear, and 0.249 MW per acre for solar.

In other words, for the 1,600 acres I could get 7,104 MW. And 130.725MW for equivalent acreage compared to the acreage that Sequoyah Nuclear Generating Plant. And that is an OLD 1980s era plant.

This is cool, can you do it for coal?

Also another way of thinking about the space is to compare it to the homes powered.

Article says 140,000 homes, on 3,500 acres (yikes, not 1,600) - so that's 0.025 acres per home. If a home is say 2000 sq ft, that's 0.45 acres, so its equivalent to using roughly half the roof space of a house to power it. Without factoring in transmission losses of course. Seems like a fairly reasonable deal.

hobbesmaster posted:

Also unfortunately these solar plants are going to require really long transmission lines and probably not be able to be operated by the same company if they can even be in the same state.

This isn't unique to solar thermal technology though is it? Just to any power plant that you build in that area. As for the companies:

"The first successfully operating unit will sell power to California’s Pacific Gas and Electric, as will Unit 3 when it comes online in the coming months. Unit 2 is also set to come online shortly, and will provide power to Southern California Edison."

Pander posted:

But it is nowhere near as disconcerting as the water intake required.

Again, how unique is this to solar thermal, as compared to coal or nuclear? They're all running on the same principle of making steam. Are we talking about the water needed to keep the heliostats clean (in which case you'd need the same for PV), or just to spin the turbines?

In other words, are you saying this is bad technology, or just a bad place to put a power plant?

Also the article says: "The sunlight concentrated from these mirrors heats up water contained within the towers to create super-heated steam which then drives turbines on the site to produce power." Does that mean they're not using molten salts? And if so, does that mean it doesn't have overnight storage? I couldn't find a clear answer on the website either.

The website is pretty cool though: http://ivanpahsolar.com/

And since we all know I love videos, here's a good one of the construction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wVXgGTrPro

In any case, has there been any press over there about it? Has it been positive, negative, or balanced? I mean it's the biggest in the world, is anyone going all "USA!" over it?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes. If you put some gas turbines the size of a 747 in the desert you'd have the same problems. Well actually not really the water ones because they don't need water.

The point is that you can put those turbines right next to where you need it instead of some massive operation in the middle of nowhere.

What are you fuel costs though? How much gas does a 400 MW gas plant go through in a day? What's the emissions intensity?

I get the point that the land footprint of large scale solar necessitates being put further away from cities, but after looking around on google maps, it's 48 miles from Vegas. If you move that map around, you could build at least another 10 much closer than that to the city. Some even within or just on the edge of city limits it looks like. Maybe just a single tower in some places instead of the triple. That's getting up towards 4 GW.

You'd hope the costs would come down a bit on that scale, cos it'd cost a bit of course, but could something like that theoretically work in Vegas?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Can anyone tell me how much gas a 400 MW plant would use in a day though? And the price?

(I know it's fairly simple but I've got another assignment to do and I'm just curious.)

Here's one I prepared earlier for Coal for example - could probably use a fact check actually:

quote:

Coal has an energy content of about 37 MJ/kg. Now if you’ve got a plant that’s rated at 1 GW, that means 1 billion Watts. A Watt is a joule per second, so 1 billion watts is 1 billion joules per second. Now with coal’s energy content of 37 Million joules per kilo, to get that billion joules per second, you need to burn 27 kg of coal per second. Or at least you would, if these plants were 100% efficient – as in converted 100% of the energy in the coal by burning it. But they generally only run at around 35%. So you actually need to burn around 80 kg of coal a second. Which is 4.8 tonnes per minute, or 288 tonnes per hour, or 7,000 tonnes per day. 2.5 million tonnes per year. Just in one power plant. That’s X truck loads.

But of course you don’t just get pure coal out of the mine, To get that much coal, you need to mine X kg of rock. The mining requires X amount of energy, etc etc etc.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 27, 2013

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

John McCain posted:

That passage is super hosed. 1 GW = 1e9 W. not 1e3 W. The numbers are all correct but you need to fix those units.

Hahaha holy poo poo what the hell. It's been like that for a long time, I must have just numbed myself to it. Thanks.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Anosmoman posted:

I think there's generally a bit odd perspective on green technologies - often it seems like an attempt to pursue the second worst option. Like growing food ecologically with the trade off that we'll need more land and water to do it. It may or may not be better than spraying pesticides all over the place but farmland isn't good for ecosystems or the climate and it's not "natural" in any way. When I look at my country it's forrests as far you could see cut down and turned into farmland. Growing food ecologically might be a bit less bad - but still pretty bad. We shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking we're doing the planet any favors because we are still the problem.

If these land intensive technologies in food and energy production is the future and we're eventually going to be 11 billion people this whole planet is going to be just one giant production facility for humanity - cities, industrial farmland and now mirrors and PV. The goal should be to use as little land as we can and turn back what we have taken to its natural state. If we don't get the technologies to make our food and energy in small foot print facilities there's not going to be anything natural anywhere near human habitats.

Not really energy generation but since you're talking about land and water footprints for agriculture, this (I believe) is the future:

Vertically stacked hydroponics / aeroponics:

Singapore:

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/08/singapores-vertical-farms.html

UK:

http://www.newworldhydroponics.co.uk/verticrop

NYC:

These all require far less water and land than conventional farming (Up to 90% less water, and depending on how high you go, 90% less land). If done in controlled greenhouses you can do it without pesticides or fertilizers as well. Growing food ecologically isn't bad, we're just not doing it right.

With a growing population and increasing urbanisation I don't see any way that these techniques aren't going to become a major part of our food production systems. We'll still need conventional farming of course, but the more load we can take off by going vertical - locally and hydroponically - the better.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Paper Mac posted:

Vertical farming is insanely energy intensive and expensive.

Depends on how you do it. The motors in the first pic, in Singapore, use 60 watts. They use water and gravity to do most of the work, and produce 500 kg of food per day. If I'm reading the article right, I think it's with 120 towers x 60 sq ft per tower = 7,200 ft.

The verticrop system in the second pic is expensive yes, but it's more of a prototype. In a goddamn zoo of all places.

The third one, in NYC, feeds a restaurant, and the guy does it because it's cheaper, fresher, 'green-er', and healthier than buying food from farms.

If you use artificial lights then your costs run up, but if you use natural light, there are no real extra costs beyond whatever infrastructure you use to set it up, which can be as basic as a few PVC pipes, and a cover if you want to enclose it.

That's not even counting the external costs of conventional farming in the form of fertilizer production, habitat loss, soil degredation, pesticide run off, transport, wastage, irrigation, etc.

People are doing it already because it is cost effective. There is nothing inherently expensive about 'growing up'.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Install Windows posted:

Or you can just use the land that's sitting right there.

This seems at odds with your last few posts concerning the land footprint for solar thermal.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Paper Mac posted:

I'm not talking about running pumps, I'm talking about building skyscraper greenhouses and importing all your nutrients (where do they come from? they're either mined/synthetic or you're stripping soil somewhere). It requires a pretty massive buildout of infrastructure and you're either burning oil to provide nutrients or you're depleting soil somewhere else, so it doesn't really solve the sustainability issue.

Vertical farming isn't about building skyscraper greenhouses. It's about rooftops, balconies, walls, fences, pillars, courtyards, anywhere there's a blank space that gets some sun basically. You guys have put the skyscaper bit on yourself. Since you mentioned it, if you can show us some examples of these multi story greenhouses, how much they produce with what inputs as compared to conventional farming, go for it. I don't know of any that exist beyond eco-blog fantasies, so I'd be interested to see. But I'm just talking about growing vertically wherever we can.

Install Windows can say "just plant it in the land that's sitting right there" but most places in a modern metropolis that don't have dirt, which is why we need to go vertical. I live in an inner city apartment and I'm a terrible gardener but I've got thyme, chives, 3 x basil, mint, rosemary, and parsley, ready any time I want them. There's also tomatoes, chili, spinach, silverbeet, celery, beetroot, and strawberries, but I haven't harvested or eaten them yet. And I'm only using half of the available space. And none of it reduces the square footage of the balcony. And the only nutrients I have to to input is water and a bit of worm juice from small worm farm out there. Just water would be fine though too.

I guess I was responding to this:

quote:

If these land intensive technologies in food and energy production is the future and we're eventually going to be 11 billion people this whole planet is going to be just one giant production facility for humanity - cities, industrial farmland and now mirrors and PV. The goal should be to use as little land as we can and turn back what we have taken to its natural state. If we don't get the technologies to make our food and energy in small foot print facilities there's not going to be anything natural anywhere near human habitats.

My point is that there are ways to reduce our land intensive footprint for food production, and the first, simplest, and easiest one is to grow vertically. This means just what it says - I never said anything about skyscrapers.

(I wrote this last night so I might respond to the last 10 posts later on)

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Paper Mac posted:

No, vertical farming is all about building skyscraper greenhouses, it's the primary use of the term. "Farming" on balconies, rooftops, etc. is just urban gardening. I work with an urban gardening co-op and I've never heard anyone use the term "vertical farm" for anything other than this:

If you want to use "vertical farming" to mean "urban gardening", that's fine, but you're going to have to deal with the fact that the common understanding of the term, and the photos you posted from the Singapore project etc, refers to dedicated vertical farming structures.

I don't have a problem with the suggestion we should be doing more growing in cities, I agree and I work to that end. I don't think it represents a meaningful solution because the nutrients are still by and large stripped from the topsoil of farmers (importing manure etc) or are synthetic, but I still think it's a good thing to pursue in the event we can ever get our nutrient flows sorted.

No, definitionally it's more brittle, because the refined material inputs required to grow vertically (in the sense I'm describing above) are higher than using dirt. If your system is more reliant on single-source fossil fuel inputs, its more brittle. I'm not referring as much to mono vs polyculture, although you still can't get decent polycultures in a hydroponic greenhouse (polyculture is as much about soil microbial communities as it is about species diversity).

To be specific, my argument is that the space savings vertical farming affords do not address the primary sustainability problems with extant agricultural systems, which are not really related to footprint. The productivity of industrial farming on a per-area basis is nothing special and there's no reason to suspect that it can't improve by increasing eg labour intensity.

Ok, I appreciate the clarification I guess, but I never actually used the term 'vertical farming' (at least until that post in response to others using it). I talked about growing verticlally. If that was misleading then I'm sorry, but There were no sky scrapers in the example pictures I posted. The closest thing was the Singapore one and that was just 30 ft high, and was actual vertically oriented stacks, rather than a series of horizontal floors.

Like I said, I've never seen an actual skyscraper one, so if anyone's got some decent analysis I'd love to see it.

As for install windows, there are plenty of problems with the present food production system - like chemical run off and crazy distribution networks, but I'm on my phone and it's late so I might address them tomorrow.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Install Windows posted:

There is no need to go vertical because farmland exists and is serving us just fine.

It might be serving us OK for the moment, but can it be improved?

The average item in the supermarket has traveled ~ 1,500 miles. If we can cut that down by growing some of it where we eat, that's a start. Again, I'm not talking about building skyscrapers, I'm talking about rooftops, balconies, walls, fences, pillars, courtyards, etc.

Here's a pretty good article about it:

quote:

at the most basic level, fewer transport miles do mean fewer emissions. Pirog's team found that the conventional food distribution system used 4 to 17 times more fuel and emitted 5 to 17 times more CO2 than the local and regional (the latter of which roughly meant Iowa-wide) systems. Similarly, a Canadian study estimated that replacing imported food with equivalent items locally grown in the Waterloo, Ontario, region would save transport-related emissions equivalent to nearly 50,000 metric tons of CO2, or the equivalent of taking 16,191 cars off the road.

It goes on to say that food miles are far from the most significant factor in our diet's environmental impact (and can sometimes be outweighed by other factors), but growing close to where we eat has advantages beyond food miles too:

I can have all of the herbs I want or need available right there, any time I want them. This means my cooking improves, and so my diet improves. It means they are as fresh as possible. It means there is no chance they will get thrown out before I eat them (like 30% - 50% of the food we grow at the moment). It means I don't have to make as many trips to the supermarket (maybe, depending on how you shop). It means they don't need pesticides and fertilizers. It means the organic waste from my worm farm has a good place to go. It means I can show my kid where things come from and how plants grow. It means we watch TV a bit less. It means my balcony is a little bit cooler, and nice to look at. It mean the city has a bit more green in it.

Of course we will still need the big farms to grow wheat and corn and most of the rest, but if we can take a little bit of the strain off that system, great.

Another way to think about it is empowerment. This thread is obviously about energy generation, but none of us can commission a nuclear power plant, or build a wind turbine. It's out of our hands. About the most we can do is stick some PV panels on our roof, and they'll set you back a few grand at the least, if your landlord even lets you. And so we have this feeling of powerlessness.

'Climate change', or the unsustainability of our lifestyles, are such huge global problems, and the solutions spend so much time being debated at an intergovernmental level. The individual can feel shut out. The big oil and gas companies have all of the power, we're screwed, so there's nothing we can do. Look at the climate change thread. This can lead to apathy, which is dangerous.

Planting a garden, is something that anyone can do (and is literally 'energy generation' - sorry to anyone who just wanted to talk about electricity but this is definitely on topic). It's not going to immediately solve everything of course, but just making a start is such an important step. Feeling like we can have a bit of control is crucial to actually taking control.

I might be getting a bit carried away by this point, but I hope you can see what I mean. Most of what I listed above applies to home/balcony gardens, but spreading it throughout the city can have similar rewards.

So to get back to the original point, if after all that we've decided that we do want to grow locally, and we live in urban spaces, the most efficient way to do that is to grow vertically. There's a lot of space we can use, and it's worth using, for a lot of reasons.

So as well as the more commercial ones I posted originally, here are some more home style ones:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

I don't think anyone is criticizing small scale urban gardens, where an individual can water them and tend to them, and can stick to crops that deal with having very little light. I just don't think it will ever be a viable replacement for horizontal growing once you try and scale it up. Any of the sustainability gains from not having to transport your food long distances are lost because most crops require additional light and water inputs, which generally will come from fossil fuels just the same. There is a huge loss of sunlight energy at the angles one has to grow at, I bet those commercial vertical farms use a ton of energy on lighting.

European style cities that just stop instead of trailing off into suburbs seem like a better answer. Growing the city's crops right outside the city would take a big chunk out of those 1500 miles.

EDIT: Rooftop farming is a lot more reasonable than vertical farming, we should certainly do that where we can.

Fair enough, I guess I was responding to two main things: The idea that growing vertically is inherently inefficient / stupid (e - or necessarily means 'building special sky scrapers', although I appreciate the distinction), and the idea that current farming is just fine as it is so we don't need to do anything else.

To respond to your post, I'd reiterate that I'm not talking about replacing horizontal growing, but augmenting it, and that most of what I'm talking about doesn't need additional light. Also I still haven't seen any actual examples of these commercial vertical farms that people keep talking about, or any analysis of their EROI.

That said, I'm all for the euro style city idea too.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 13, 2013

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Paper Mac posted:

Yes you have, as I mentioned, the Singapore picture you linked was literally from a Singaporean commercial vertical farming project. They have 9-story dedicated towers. The EROI is massively negative, obviously, if you look at the chart above you can see that the skyscraper-farm doesn't do anything to reduce most of the energy costs of producing food. If you want to know why they're a stupid idea, Monbiot wrote a thing a couple years ago:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/aug/16/green-ivory-towers-farm-skyscrapers

Ok we still seem to be getting some wires crossed. The Singapore facility isn't a 9 story sky scraper. It's a 3 story glass house, and it's not arranged with one storey on top of the other, it's a continuous revolving tower. And we haven't seen any EROI analysis for it, except for your post claiming its 'massively negative'. The only real EROI analysis we've seen is that chart you posted, which shows that conventional agriculture (in the US) gets an EROI of 0.13. So current agriculture is already 'massively negative', and we don't know what the Singapore one would be.

The other thing is that growing vertically in urban areas doesn't just eliminate the transport factor. There's also zero run off. No water wastage. They can be grown without pesticides or herbicides. They use less space (which is of varying significance depending on the location), and they bring food closer to people so they can see and connect with it better. Depending on how it's done, it can take chunks out of the Agricultural Production, Packaging, and maybe the Processing parts of your bar graph too.

Again, I'm not saying stop traditional farming and grow vertically everywhere. I'm saying grow where can, as illustrated by the pictures I've posted so far.

The Monboit article is pretty good, but not really relevant, since it talks exclusively about Despommier's sky scrapers, which I'm not.

Jeffrey posted:

Using other electricity to produce light for vertical farms is only going to make the goal of getting energy out of them further away. You are taking a bad product and proposing to make it even worse.

Again, I have never talked about using electricity to produce light. All of the examples I've posted use naturally available light.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Arghy posted:

Hahaha man awesome video here also michio kaku should be loving shot with a gun by science for selling out. Jesus its like someone made a video about lies and misconceptions then slapped it all together.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=040_1384817880

*hahahahahha several QUADRILLION BEQUELS OF RADIOACTIVITY! please explain what this number is announcer lady since you seem to be such an expert!

Ok so conspiracy-esque production values aside, would anyone care to address any of the points raised by the video, or are you comfortable with just sarcasm and calls for homicide? I mean unless your position is that it is literally completely fine with absolutely nothing to worry about, there are some issues at hand. Here are some of the points raised which you night be able to address:

Is there a danger that we will see lung cancer and leukaemia in 2-5 years? Or other cancers 16-17 years? Does cancer take a while to develop after inhaling radioactive elements?

Is this scenario contained in any nuclear engineering books? Or are they in uncharted territory, making it up as they go along?

But perhaps most importantly, these tanks. How much water do they hold, and how much is added every day? Were they hastily built, are they bolted not welded, are they sealed with rubber? Are we comfortable with that? Was there a leak detected? What happens if they burst?

What happens if there is another earthquake?

How much water is seeping through the site, is any of it contaminated, what are the effects?

And lastly, the 1500 fuel rods in the storage pool. What's the plan here? Do they stay there or come out? If those rods are exposed to the air, what happens? Would they burn, how bad would it be? What if they touch each other?

This isn't an indictment of nuclear power in general, I think it's got an important role to play in a future energy mix. These are questions about this specific situation. The video might be overstating it, but since you responded to literally none of it, it's hard to know.

This is particularly pertinent given a recent incident in Australia:

quote:

Radioactive acid spill at ERA Ranger mine in Kakadu

THERE has been a major radioactive incident at a mine site inside Kakadu National Park overnight, with about a million litres of acid believed spilled, workers evacuated and production shut down.

A leaching tank containing the contaminated slurry burst at about 1am this morning, apparently with such force that it bent a crane and other infrastructure nearby at the Ranger mine.

Justin O'Brien, CEO of Gundjeihmi Aboriginal Corporation representing the site's traditional owners, said the acid had contaminated a large area of the work site, overtopped a low bund and entered a storm drain.

"A million litres of radioactive acid burst out of a tank at such a velocity that it damaged all the infrastructure nearby," he said.

"We are advised that the spill will make that part of the mine, which is the heart of the operation, inoperable for at least a month or two."

The Ranger mine's operator, Energy Resources of Australia, confirmed the tank failure.

"Upon discovery of a hole in the side of the tank, personnel were removed from the nearby area before the tank failed and a mixture of slurry escaped," ERA said in a statement.

"The slurry moved outside the bunded containment area, but has been captured and contained on site. As the material was contained within the processing area there is no impact on the environment surrounding the Ranger Project Area."

A spokeswoman said workers had been evacuated and production shut down, but was unable to confirm how much material had spilled or what damage had been done. There had been no injuries.

Mr O'Brien said a jet of fluid had been discovered spraying from the side of the leaching tank at around 12.30am this morning. He said workers were trying to use a crane to lower a piece of steel to stop the flow when the initial hole expanded and another developed.

"The 10 to 20 people who were working on it were asked to evacuate," he said.

"Thank god they did, because the whole thing burst apart with such velocity that it bent all the metal walkways around about, damaged the bund, bent the crane and smashed the windscreen of the crane."

The incident could not have come at worse time for ERA, which recently ceased open-cut mining and is now seeking approval to develop its newly discovered Ranger 3 Deeps deposit underground.

The Ranger 3 Deeps resource is believed to be one of the world's best underdeveloped uranium deposits, containing around 10 million tonnes of ore that is expected to yield 34,000 tonnes of uranium oxide.

The federal government is presently considering whether to grant ERA approval for a new underground mine.

Traditional owners have so far maintained an "open mind" on the proposal, but Mr O'Brien said two breaches of the company's radiation plan and now a major radioactive spill in under a year was undermining that goodwill.

"That openness is diminished day by day, incident by incident," he said.

The ERA site is separate from but entirely within World Heritage-listed Kakadu National Park. Mr O'Brien said that with the heaviest rains of the wet season approaching, traditional owners feared the radioactive acid could be washed downstream.

The site is close to the Magita Creek, which is now flowing, and about 7km upstream from the Aboriginal community of Mudgunberri where about 60 people live.

"We understand the spill entered a stormwater drain. We have been advised that it went no further, and has been contained within that part of the stormwater drain. Well, let's see," he said.

He described the mine as a "hillbilly operation", and demanded the federal government seek advice outside Australia before making a decision on whether to approve the Ranger 3 Deeps underground development.

A spokeswoman for ERA, which is majority owned by mining giant Rio Tinto, promised further updates later in the day.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/mining-energy/radioactive-acid-spill-at-era-ranger-mine-in-kakadu/story-e6frg9df-1226777706547

Oh and a becquerel (symbol Bq) is the SI-derived unit of radioactivity. One Bq is defined as the activity of a quantity of radioactive material in which one nucleus decays per second. The Bq unit is therefore equivalent to an inverse second, s−1. The becquerel is named after Henri Becquerel, who shared a Nobel Prize with Pierre and Marie Curie in 1903 for their work in discovering radioactivity. (from wiki).

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

The Bq is not the unit we're interested in however as it's not a unit of exposure. The entire thing is jibberish.

I don't get the Bq thing anyway.. it's just 'per second'? Beats me.

Anyway thanks for answering all those questions.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Pander posted:

As Jeffrey said, in absolute terms a Bq tells you roughly how many atoms within a sample undergo nuclear decay of some sort per second.

It is essentially worthless outside of specific nuclear calculations. It doesn't tell you how dangerous a source of radiation is. It doesn't tell you what kind of radiation it emits. It doesn't tell you what is lost or created. It doesn't specify energy release.

All it does it count the atoms that undergo decay. It is impossible to know from context how important a release should be by Bq. 10^15 Bq from a very small source is very dangerous. 10^15 Bq over a water tank spill that spills into a water source is essentially meaningless.

Radiation is rather complex to judge in terms of all but short-term effects for highly potent non-alpha emitters. After Chernobyl estimates of cancer rates across eastern Europe varied wildly, and it's been demonstrated in practice that there's been very little, if any, effect from the disaster. Long term effects are completely bewildering, and it's possible that ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable) may be a flawed concept.

The spill sucks, and I don't want to sound like the pro-nuclear whore that I am, but I'd wager that acid is going to do more harm than radiation unless there's (for whatever insane reason) a whole lot of concentrated tails of radioactive ore lying in the way of the acidic water. I can't see the article due to paywall, so if there's anything more than what you posted I lost it. Without specifics, I'm not too sure about what that acid's been through. In light water reactors, boric acid is used in nuke plants to provide reactivity control. The borated water in the core IS radioactive. But it's not nearly radioactive on the level of the core itself. Calling it a "radioactive leak" brings to mind nuclear bombs or waste, but it's really mostly tritium or other particles likely diluted enough to be considered minor.

In short, the toxicity of uranium is a far larger worry than the radiactive part. It's true for a lot of nuclear applications. The general public's fear of invisible radiation outweighs the more realistic dangers in most situations.

Getting back to the mine, it's awful poo poo and that company sounds like it could use some serious oversight/fines. Realistically, all power requires environmentally damaging mining for installation and maintenance at the very least (and for coal/oil, burning on a far larger scale than nuclear). It'd be nice if it could be done without fuckups like that.

Thanks, Bq kind of makes sense now. So in the context of how it originally came up, which was the TV lady in the video talking about several quadrillion Bq (in the barrels/tanks?) - is that appropriate or not? (The sound has stopped working on this computer so I don't have the exact quote, sorry, I think it's around the 4:50 mark). But we're getting a fair way off track here, I was more interested in the rest of it.

And yeah that's all there was to the article I posted, if you google it you'll find a bunch of others though. Interestingly, the one I posted was from a fairly right-wing paper, notorious for their 'anti green' stance, and even they didn't really down play it. But the point was more to show that these sorts of accidents do happen to holding tanks, even in tectonically stable areas, and I was trying to get an indication of the sort of risk we're looking at in Japan.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Quantum Mechanic posted:

we've managed to stop our new you-beaut neoliberal government from poo poo-canning a renewable investment bank that makes money.

We did? I tuned out of politics for a while, that's great news.

Also my original questions weren't meant to start the same old nuclear argument again, I really just wanted to know what's the deal with the fuel rods in Japan. What's going to happen to them? What happens if they touch, or are exposed to air? Are they going to move them, and if so, how?

Or are TEPCO just not being forthcoming with any of this and so we just don't know? If so, where does that leave us? Is there some sort of international regulatory body that can step in in this kind of a situation? If not, should there be?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Those are just random Geiger counters connected to the internet.

That's kind of a neat idea. Assuming they're reliable and the data can't be manipulated of course. Hopefully it can be used to show everyone it's all cool.

I mean, with this many nuclear plants:

And all the readings on the map being 'normal', maybe it ain't so bad.

Trabisnikof posted:

Saying coal/gas is about as useful as saying solar/nuclear.

It's really not.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Its still incredibly silly to treat coal and gas as equivalent in any meaning way except they both emit carbon. Their production impacts are vastly different, their interface to the grid is different (including their emissions per kw/h), secondary markets effecting price are different, and most importantly their regional distribution is vastly different for the two fuels.

Maybe its only as bad as saying renewables/hydro, but its still not a helpful simplification. Especially when energy is so geographically dependent, the differences between coal and gas for specific counties can be a huge deal.

They're hydrocarbons. They both require the extraction and combustion of finite fossil fuels.

They're different, sure. As you say, the distribution, technology, emissions, impacts, price, all that. But they're not different in the same way that "Solar/Nuclear" are different.

CommieGIR posted:

Makes sense, but comparing it to a nuclear plant doesn't really make sense to me.

Sure it does. Why not? They produce THIS much power, which is the same as THIS many nuclear plants. I mean they could have said coal plants as well (which are also usually around ~ 1 GW), but what's the problem? Having a comparison like that helps, a lot of people would have no idea what 22 GW is.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks to those keeping the thread on track. I've obviously been offline for a while, good to see this still going.

This is a bit of topic, but since it was mentioned:

Adenoid Dan posted:

I get tired of hearing about all these highschool geniuses making these discoveries at science fairs. This one, the microwaved water on plant growth one, the one about skimming the plastic off the surface of the ocean. Run it by a real scientist (who's willing to hurt the kid's feelings a bit by saying they're wrong, instead of just saying, "that's interesting, why don't we repeat it in a lab and see if it holds up? ") before running articles about it. It's so misleading to pretend they might be on to something.

Would you care to elaborate on this bit? I assume you're talking about this: http://www.theoceancleanup.com/

I've downloaded parts of the feasibility report and briefly skimmed through, and it seems pretty legit so far. I haven't had the time to go through it properly, and was looking forward to giving it a good critical analysis, but is there anything you think it gets wrong to begin with?

(as opposed to, say, this one http://thecleanoceansproject.com/, which is insultingly light on details).

And to bring it back to the topic, we can turn all the plastic back into oil and use it for fuel I guess.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

The problem is that the plastic is not mostly large pieces, it's mm to cm sized fragments, and wave action mixes it deep into the water column if it's not calm. It's also not particularly concentrated, it's spread out over vast areas. Removing pieces that small would be very costly, monetarily and environmentally, since it would remove or kill (plankton is fragile) so much of the life in those areas, which don't have a lot of life to begin with. The setup would also have to survive harsh weather for years without being prohibitively expensive.

http://deepseanews.com/2013/12/how-do-you-figure-out-how-much-plastic-is-in-the-ocean/

http://inhabitat.com/the-fallacy-of-cleaning-the-gyres-of-plastic-with-a-floating-ocean-cleanup-array

OK so we are talking about slightly different things then. Your first link doesn't explain much other than "collecting the data is hard, and cleaning it will obviously be harder (and nets pick up sea life)"

And in your second link, it says "Editor’s Note: This piece was written in response to a story published in 2013. As of 2014, Boyan Slat has conducted a feasibility study for the Ocean Cleanup Array and published a 530-page report that addresses criticism – check it out here."

I'm not saying it'll definitely work, just that I think they've put more effort into it than you think. The feasibility report is over 500 pages. They've done the modelling - on where the plastic is (vertically distributed from surface), how big it is, and how efficiently the floating arms will catch it by passively letting the winds and currents do the work. Seriously, have a proper look: http://www.theoceancleanup.com/.

After all that, maybe it still doesn't stack up, I'm not an oceanographer. But it's more than just a high school science fair that hasn't been run by a real scientist, as you originally posted.

That second link you posted does raise a serious problem that environmentalists, including people I work with, wrestle with all the time. By working on the "clean up" part of the problem, it's like we're tacitly endorsing the systems that produce the problem in the first place. Don't worry, keep on producing, we'll just clean it up afterwards!

In my mind, we need to do both, and one can actually help the other. By getting people out to clean up the mess (like https://www.take3.org.au, responsible runners, or 4 pieces in the US), they see the scale of the problem, and are more likely to look for solutions and avoid disposable plastic packaging.

At the end of the day, it is a huge problem, which may well be intractable. But thinking about it can be a fun exercise, it may even work, and of all the pie-in-the-sky plans, Slat's project seems to be the most likely so far. BUT YES WE NEED TO FIX THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM AND CLEAN UP EFFORTS SHOULD NOT TAKE AWAY FORM THAT.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

I'm not an oceanographer or anything like that, but every response I've seen to this from scientists (like Miriam Goldstein, who studies the garbage in the gyres) has been negative. And when it was originally reported on, it was just a highschool kids project. The fact that they've done their own investigation of their idea doesn't particularly impress me either.

Remember, they're talking about filtering the first 2-3 meters of the ocean surface. It's pretty clear they are thinking only of macroscopic animals and ignoring the plankton, which again are very fragile and can't avoid the booms.

(Edit: ignoring is not right, but I believe they have a simplistic view of what can affect an ecosystem)

I'm not in that field so I'm leaving my judgement to the experts, who are saying it won't work without harming the ecosystem.

Fair enough I suppose.

Can I ask what you'd do then? Do any of those other scientists have any better ideas?

As to the plankton, this is what they had to say:

quote:

"Because they are effectively neutrally buoyant, both phytoplankton and zooplankton are likely to pass underneath the barriers along with the current. But even assuming the worst - the Ocean Cleanup Array would harness all the plankton it encounters, this would constitute a maximum loss of 10 million kg of planktonic biomass annually."

They then go on to say "Given the immense primary production of the world oceans, this would take less than 7 seconds to reproduce". While I'm not sure about that, 10,000 tonnes per year seems pretty manageable to me.

They also say "Qualitative data suggested that the barrier does not catch zooplankton as the net behind the boom appeared to have caught an equal amount of zooplankton as the net next to the boom". (But surely a better way of knowing would be to look i the net, no?

It raises a question I suppose - how much plankton would you be willing to remove to get the plastic out of the oceans? If all that plankton is hanging around with all that plastic, do we want it there anyway, or would we be better off taking it all out and starting again?

Since I went through it I may as well break down some data points:

* Total plastic in North Pacific Gyre: 140,000 tonnes (21,000 tonnes < 2 cm, 119,000 tonnes > 2 cm)
* ~ 90% (maybe a bit more) is in the first 3 meters of depth
* A solid boom of a specific length (1.4 km), on a specific angle (30 degrees) has the best chance of capturing all that
* Platforms cost 14 million euros (excluding equipment and mooring)
* In total, to extract 70 million kg (42% of total) from NPG over 10 years, cost is 317 million euros.
* That means the plastic has to have a value of 4.53 euros per kilo to be profitable (which was obviously never going to happen, but anyway).

There are some more charts and graphs in diagram in the report too but I couldn't pull them out.

Problems: Trial period was only over 1 month - given the effect of seasonal variability on the oceans I would want to see it over at least 12. I'd also like better data on exactly what it does to the marine life, but I guess that comes with building bigger models and seeing what happens.

Anyway the next step is to actually test a pilot, which they hope to do in the next 3-4 years, progressively scaling it up until they get to the 100 km array.

Again, I know this isn't strictly on topic, but I feel it's appropriate, in a "discuss the feasibility of solutions to large, borderline intractable environmental problems" kind of way.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

That's just in the North Pacific Gyre, there are 4 others around the world, so in total it would be a fair bit more. Also should have said that's a conservative estimate.

But yeah, interesting to think of it in terms of aircraft carriers I guess.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

"In the north pacific gyre" meaning spread out across thousands of square miles and god only knows how much depth.

Well, yeah. That's what the problem is. The question is what to do about it.

Pander posted:

I think the better solution is keep developing better nanobot technology. Solar-powered self-replicating nanobots. Maybe in 50 or 100 years. I think the carbon dioxide emissions issue is a bit higher priority than ocean plastic. Both suck, but one's just a bit more pressing and solvable now.

I'm not sure that a platoon of 'self replicating nanobots' would really be a safer or more cost effective solution than a simple passive floating boom, but I'd be interested to know more.

And come on, let's not fall into the "either / or" dichotomy.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

So it is a problem, or it's not?

And which is more devastating, catching a few thousand tonnes of plastic contaminated plankton per year, or just leaving all the plastic there?

Do you have something to back up the idea that it would "destroy the desk/ecosystem"? Because in the most scathing critical assessment posted so far it just said: "Plankton biologists, needless to say, are skeptical."

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

every way of removing it so far produces much bigger problems

I don't think you've really shown that, but I don't mind leaving it there.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

The best way to clean it up would probably be to let it degrade and let it leave the system naturally

You'll forgive me if I say I don't consider this a viable option, right? They don't degrade. Well I mean the sun photo-degrades them into smaller and smaller pieces, but it's all still there. They don't leave the system, and it's definitely not natural.

$500 million to stick some booms out there and try and catch what they can seems like a deal worth trying (Or at least testing further) to me.

I'll take your point that we need more study into the harms of both the problem and the solutions, but at this stage my gut says action is required, that it should be passive (let the currents do the work), hopefully come in at a reasonable price per kilo, and that it shouldn't involve nets.

And yes we can all agree we need to immediately reduce the input.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

Doing nothing is often the least bad solution, even when there are remediation options that would fix the original problem.

Well it's something I don't think I've ever even considered, so thanks I guess.

Yeah fair point. The arguments have all been done, and I'm glad they have, but after all that I did intend for the thread to be for sharing news and articles on the energy generation front. I mean it's such a rapidly advancing field I thought it would be worth having a place to come and discuss the developments as they happen around the world.

quote:

Plastic in the oceans has nothing to do with energy generation

Um excuse me plastic is made from oil, so you can you can break it down and shake it up or whatever, and turn it into a really lovely fuel, thank you very much.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

thekeeshman posted:

One of the problems with the whole decentralized generation thing is simply that if you're going to go around to a whole bunch of people and try and convince them to do something everyone would be much better off if you convinced them to put in better insulation or more efficient boilers or other power-saving technologies, rather than things like decentralized generation. These things have better returns on investment than solar in most places, and create more consistent reductions in grid load.

I know there's room for more than one campaign at a time etc... but the low hanging fruit really is efficiency and not decentralized generation.

On that note, BZE (the group who's stationary energy plan was the impetus for all this), is pushing this very idea with their Energy Freedom inititaive. 9 steps for households to acheive energy freedom.:

http://energyfreedom.com.au/

Nine actions to get energy freedom

Insulation
Fully insulating your home can cut your heating use by 80%. High performance technologies are available to retrofit all types of Australian Homes.

Rooftop SolarYour home can be a solar power station! Rooftop solar gives you the power to generate your own energy. Prices and options for battery storage are improving every month.

Lighting
LED downlights save 80% of the energy used by halogens. LEDs provide quality, dimmable light and are easy to install. LEDs are covered under the VEET scheme and can pay for themselves in under a year.

Efficient appliances
By installing the most efficient appliances available, you can save 50% on energy use compared to mid-range products.

Heat pump hot water systems
These use 80% less energy than gas and standard electric-based hot water systems. They will save you money each year compared to an electric system and costs the same as a new gas system.

In home displays
Gives you real time monitoring of energy use in your home. In Home Displays can save you 9-15% on your energy bill. Available under VEET scheme and pays for itself in under a year.

Heating and Cooling
This is the most efficient heater and cooler you can have in your home. Save 60% on your heating bill compared to ducted gas heating!

Cooking
Cooking with induction cooktops provides the same performance as a gas cooktop but uses half the energy. Induction cooktops are safer than gas and avoid dangerous indoor air pollution.

Double glazing
You can save 9% on your energy use by replacing single glazed windows with double glazing. DIY, retrofit options are available to double glaze many existing window types.

I mean it all seems like pretty obvious stuff, but it does need pushing. It's all come out of their "Buildings Plan", and fleshed out with plenty of data and modelling if anyone wants to take a look: http://bze.org.au/node/1440

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Is lack of insulation really a problem in Australia? I mean there's plenty of older houses in the US that only have lovely older insulation, but you rarely see anything new without insulation, or anything newer than the second world war without any insulation at all.

Yeah I guess. I mean we need air con in summer and heating in winter, so can always do better with insulation. Heating and cooling still make up the biggest section of household energy use I think.

Actually a few years ago there was a bit of a scandal, the government was promoting a home insulation scheme that involved "pink batts", and some of the installers died. The other party has never let them hear the end of it. So now any time the government tries to do anything to do with sustainability or improving efficiency its "OH REMEMBER THE PINK BATTS HAH YEAH THAT'S RIGHT LET'S NEVER TRY TO DO ANYTHING AGAIN"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Er what I mean is, is there really a lot of Australian housing stock out there with no insulation at all or only very minimal insulation? The proposal seems to imply that there is.

Oh ok, good question then. So I just dug through the report (page 60 of the printed version):

41% of houses are brick veneer - poorest thermal performance of all construction types

69% of houses have some form of insulation, but only 18% have wall insulation

47% have window coverings designed to stop heat or cold

32% have outside awnings and shutters

2.6% have double glazing

Australian homes are also apparently 2-4 times as 'draughty'as those in north America and Europe

So, enough room to improve I suppose.