Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What makes this a 4th generation reactor? The underlying technology? The fact that it's modular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dante80 posted:

40% of US electricity is now emissions-free
Good news as natural gas, coal, and solar see the biggest changes.

Just before the holiday break, the US Energy Information Agency released data on the country's electrical generation. Because of delays in reporting, the monthly data runs through October, so it doesn't provide a complete picture of the changes we've seen in 2023. But some of the trends now seem locked in for the year: wind and solar are likely to be in a dead heat with coal, and all carbon-emissions-free sources combined will account for roughly 40 percent of US electricity production.

(...)

I don't get how natural gas is such a good thing..they are not going to destroy all those power stations and lines in a decade, they are building to last.

Natural gas fills some gaps that are difficult to cover with renewables, at least until storage starts being built at scale. I'll use Texas as my example, since that's where I'm from. Texas has equal or greater renewable capacity than any other state in the US. We faced record heat this past summer, and solar and wind both performed very well. The problem, as always, is when the sun isn't shining and there's no wind. Fortunately that's not a common occurrence, but it does occur. Similarly, NG can be spun up very rapidly if necessary. It's expensive to do so, but it can fill in for peak demand and surges.

Ideally we'd be firing up new nuclear to provide a stable baseline, but for reasons that have been pointed out, it's politically unpopular, and economically disastrous. Until someone comes up with a truly modular reactor that can be built and deployed rapidly (and is politically feasible), we're going to need some combination of excess capacity and a lot of storage to cover the gaps when generation slows.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

GABA ghoul posted:

German farmland is mostly a toxic sterile wasteland extremely hostile to any life that is not maize, sugar beets, wheat or canola and that is mostly used for producing animal feed. Building wind parks there is going to create habitats and massively increase biodiversity.

suck my woke dick posted:

Yes, German farmland is a green-tinted toxic wasteland that's about as ecologically valuable as a parking lot. It will not be missed, and major farmland zones can be paved over as far as I care.

Why is German farmland so toxic? How does it compare (in general) to other neighboring countries with a significant agricultural footprint? Can this be improved/resolved within a reasonable timescale, or are we talking about "Let it go fallow for a generation and see what happens." I've never heard this before and don't disbelieve these statements, it's just news to me.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

cat botherer posted:

Yeah, large-scale stationary hydrogen storage isn't nearly as problematic. Combined-cycle natural gas plants could also be converted, which would reduce costs a whole lot. The key issue it seems is relatively low round-trip efficiency. Electrolysis tops out at 80%, and then you've got maybe 60-70% for CC generation, so under 50%. That's still potentially compelling due to the problems and expense of of Li-ion batteries. However, with the recent success of much cheaper sodium-ion batteries in China, that advantage might erode.

Someone may have asked this previously and I missed it, but can you expand on this? I feel like I've been hearing about great new battery technology that's just around the corner for the past 10 years - is this real, or is it more vaporware?