Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Geothermal energy is great, for heat. As for electricity that's a very mixed bag and someone else will have to respond.

If I take Sweden as an example. There's been a massive expansion in the last 20 years, basically wherever possible, of geothermal heating. The reason is that as long as electricity is cheap it is an extraordinarily effective way to heat a home. All you need is to front the initial investment and then you drill and pump. Downsides are an increased demand on the grid which can (and does) create problems downstream. But as for heating through electricity, I'm not even sure if there is a more effective alternative.

You are probably mixing "real" geothermal energy, which uses the heat coming from the core of the earth with residential geothermal heat pump system. The heat pump system has shallow wells and gets its heat from the soil that is heated by sunlight, so it is technically solar heating system, which means that the temperature gradient is not that big. So it is only really usable for heating, not for creating electricity. But it is really efficient form of heating for sure. Just a bit expensive to install. The real geothermal power plants on the other hand have hunderds of degrees heat gradient can be and are used to create electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I feel that is a bit semantical, but yes that was my point by putting anything other than geothermal heating under iffy. I know for instance that Iceland has lots of "real" geothermal power, but I also know that style is not really applicable anywhere not sitting upon a dormant/active volcano.

Right. Many people seem to mix up these technologies so just thought to make sure.
In Finland they have made an experimental geothermal power plant for disctric heating. The difficult part is that they had to drill more than 6 kilometers deep wells. Would be a lot easier in Iceland for sure. The need is obvious, annually over 80% of household energy usage is used in heating the houses or heating up water. So any ways to make this more efficient or co2 neutral would be great help. It remains to be seen if that kind of system can be even close to viable in reality.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Pyre File posted:

Just drill the Yellowstone Caldera, what could possibly go wrong?

Sulphur dioxide released from the massive volcanoes would certainly help with the global warming! For a years..

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Since the 70's the French have made most of their electricity with nuclear power and are as of now an exporter of electricity. So obiviously it seems to me to be a working solution. What is it that prevents any other developed country to pursue similar strategy? Is it purely political opposition, or are there actual reasons why it would not work? In my laymans perspective it seems like a proven solution to drive down co2 emissions, at least in developed world with sufficient institutional and infrastructural support.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Olkiluoto 3 is active! :toot: Not yet producing power for the grid, that'll happen in february.

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10010571

Didn't find an english source for it. OL3 will stand for 15% of finnish electricity generation.

Here:
https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/short_news/europes-biggest-nuclear-reactor-receives-permission-to-start-tests/

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

The Finnish new reactor Olkiluoto 3 is finally connected to the national grid and is producing electricity :science:

https://yle.fi/news/3-12356596

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Kesper North posted:

does it get rid of waste heat via cooling finns

Sadly the heat is just wasted. There have been talks and plans about using the heat from plants for district heating but there are several issues. The plants are far away from cities so the piping would have to be long. Also the water is only about 40C so it would have to be heated further to be of use. So lots of inefficiencies.

Also, of course, the opposition of anything nuclear so it has political issues as well.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Saukkis posted:

A decade+ ago I guy from Montana I was chatting with mentioned that he was in the process of upgrading the windows on his house to dual-pane. I was pretty stunned by this as a Finn. I was born in '79 and I had never lived in a house that didn't have at least dual-panes, I may not have even seen a house used for living with single panes. Triple-panes seem to have been a stardard for quite some time and if you invest in insulation you probably get quad-panes with argon filling or something.

During most of my childhood and youth we lived in an old house with dual-panes and a normal practice during winter was to tape the gaps in windows. During some winters we taped a plastic sheet over the windows.

Yeah. Our windows are from the 80s and are tripple pane. They still work quite well but are pain in the rear end to clean. Six surfaces on each window to wash. Which reminds me that it is about the time of the year to wash them again
:negative:

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

They work. Air from outside enters the house through the windows. Older construction so no any fancy valves for replacement air there.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I thought that multi-pane windows weren't supposed to let in outside air

It depends. In older construction, such as my house which is built in the 50s, the outside air comes in through the windows. More modern construction usually has separate pipings and valves for it. In those cases the windows are indeed very sealed.

The main reason for the window ventilation is that the outside air gets preheated inside the window before entering the room space. So during winter the temperature difference is lower so it feels more comfortable. Newer more impearmeable windows, for this type of construction, come with a fresh air valve to allow the same function but in a more controlled manner. The flow rate of the valves can be adjusted and they can have filters and so on.

So here is illustration how a modern window of this type works:

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Yes indeed, the outer layer needs to vent some air to prevent the moisture from accumulating between the windows. This usually happens if the house is for some reason overpressured. Typical example is upstairs rooms in a two floor house. The warm air wants to rise to the second floor and the pressure increases above the outside ambient pressure, and the warm and moist air is pushed out through the windows. Then it gets trapped inside and the moisture condenses when it meets the cold outside window.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I think reality is starting to hit, and ironically, Russia's invasion is helping deliver it

Finland was already building another new nuclear reactor, but for ..reasons it was from Rosatom. The whole project is now scrapped and will not restart even if the war ends. Russian nuclear industry is poisonous now. But I guess it is better that it is scrapped now instead of having massive issues later.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, Russia really hosed everything with their stupid was, but the silver lining is its making it abundantly clear that fossil fuel dependency is more dangerous that previously thought.

Thankfully Finland did finish their other reactors at Olkiluoto before the war and they plan to reach out to France and America for fuel sourcing.

Indeed, in the bigger picture this is a really welcome wakeup call.

MrYenko posted:

I seem to remember that all of the high-level fuel waste produced in the US over the entire course of our nuclear power history since would cover a US football field to a depth of about thirty feet. As opposed to the gigatons of coal, oil, and gas we’ve turned into ash and smoke and pumped into the air. It’s a question of whether we want to be responsible and sequester our waste in an easy-to control, easy-to monitor way, or continue to pump it into the air for our kids to breathe.

Just have to love these "football field" measurement units. How many olympic swimming pool is that?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

https://m.dw.com/en/germany-to-fire-up-coal-plants-as-russia-turns-down-the-gas/a-62182321

In a move that goes against the principles of his environmentally-friendly Green Party, the country will also have to increase the burning of coal, Habeck said.

Shut down nukes, get hooked on Russian gas, burn more coal.
Nice

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

So Germany now shut down its last remaining three nuclear powerplants. To everyones surprise some energy producers announced a mild increase in the price of electricity.

“In parts of NRW [North Rhine-Westphalia], the new price is 49.44 cents gross per kilowatt hour, which means an adjustment of around 45 percent for an average consumption,” said a spokesman for Eon Energie in German."

:eyepop: :lmao:

https://thedeepdive.ca/e-on-hikes-energy-prices-45-as-germany-winds-down-its-last-nuclear-plants/

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

Ultimately by shutting off nuclear there's less necessity to temporarily shut down renewables when the grid capacity is bound by non-flexible production methods, so in the end it'll propably remain at roughly the same intensity until gas or renewables can replace coal.
What? This sounds really weird.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Well sure, if you just import half of your energy from greener countries when the sun isn't shining :)

One weird trick that the nukechuds hate.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

floppyspud posted:

how many scientific studies do i have to show to an anti-nuclear person before they either start absorbing information, get a better argument than "tell that to the 50 people's that died families," or give me a source? help me d&d

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

At least they're not causing cancer so there's that.

Anyone know what's up with Finland? Seems like some nuclear generation is down and coal had to kick in. I couldn't easily find any information in English at least.

One nuke plant going through maintenance, other nuke plant had a problem and needed to be taken off the grid. Also, maintenance work in Sweden transmit grid so imports had to be scaled down. In addition it happened during a period of low wind. So basically multiple shits hitting the fan simultaneously.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah same here. My pumps are Daikin Perfera and by default they only offer timer based scheduling. Some third party manager would be needed.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

gently caress yeah tomorrow will be a sauna night for sure. Thanks Kinect Energy.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Finnish renewable dependant energy policy strikes again. Tomorrow we have peak electricity price of 235c/kWh, while the daily average is 110 c/kWh.
Who knew that it is stupid to rely on wind and solar when we have winters where there is no real wind or sunshine, and electricity demand is at its peak. Absolute idiocy.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Glah posted:

Finland isn't relying on solar and wind in winters, that's just market priced electricity schemes working as indented. Were our grid relying on them totally we'd be getting outages. If you don't want a volatile electric bill, just get a normal contract from electric company with steady rates where peaks are taken into account and calculated into annual estimate.

If there is no wind Finland is heavily dependent on import energy, with corresponding price fluctuations. Without imports there indeed would be outages. So functionally yes you can argue we are dependent on wind and or imports, but as we see its completely hosed situation anyways.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Glah posted:

Well yes, the system is built in a way where when demand can't be met, we'll import it. And the market price fluctuates accordingly. That's kinda the point with market electricity schemes, you'll have more volatile electric bills because you're betting there being more good times than bad. But I wouldn't be saying it is "absolute idiocy" when prices peak when there's -30c outside, because well, you can't expect the demand of electricity to stay stable, especially during winter.

If you want to play it safe as a consumer just get normal contract with fixed rates. You might not be laughing on your way to bank when there's cheap energy and partying it up like some Tokyo salaryman in the 80's, but then conversely these price peaks don't really hurt you either. That's how I do it.

Build it in a way that it can be met, obviously. Or close enought to not make the system poo poo the bed in basic winter conditions. That means building a system that doesn't rely on wind and so on, because they cannot meet the demand, when it matters the most. Wind power is only as cheap as it is (when it is windy) because all of the cost is of not having wind is directly sourced to the customers who need the electricity anyway. The downside we see right now.

Also, it is not just about you or me as a consumer. It is way more detrimental to industry, where stable prices are important. You cannot just decide to not run your steel mill or something when the prices are absurd like tomorrow.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Glah posted:

I wouldn't call current conditions "basic winter conditions" when it's been -20 to -30c in the south and more (less?) in the north for almost a week coinciding with problems in regular power plants, rather than once a decade phenomena. Now I'm not saying that that kind of price fluctuations is in anyway not problematic for consumers. I'm not even saying that we don't need more baseline power. Hell build four more nuclear reactors, I don't mind. I'm just saying that using a consumer electricity market scheme pricing peaking during a freak weather as an example of how crap wind power is and how it is absolute idiocy to build it maybe isn't most informative opinion about Finnish energy infra.

It is not idiocy to build wind power. It is idiocy to rely on it, considering where we live and when we need the power. Also, it is idiocy to price the wind power the way it is done now.

e: Just got a text message from Finngrid authority. Begging to please use less electricity because the grid is literally running out. System working as intended I guess.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I didn't get spot pricing so hahah heatpump goes brrrr or something?

I mean if you dont care that many industries and people are hosed then hahah I guess? I have fixed pricing but thats not reality for all.

DTurtle posted:

Why should Finland expend a lot of money and effort into building a 100% self-sufficient energy grid, when it can instead import energy from the rest of Europe (and export excess energy in times of abundant energy)?

In ideal world, sure. But as it is the close by generation and trasport infra is no where near sufficient. The grid is running out of power as it is. Plus, if we would import from central Europe we would be importing coal or gas powered electricity. Apart from Scandinavia, from which we import most of the energy anyway. We shut down several megawats worth of fossil energy generation in the past and now we see the results.

The big issue is that wind power companies can just sell their electricity as they create it, at cheap price when it is windy and demand is lower. Most other forms of elecricity cannot compete with that price when it is not cold, meaning it is not profitable to keep them available when they are needed. Now that wind does not exist, and the grid is in danger of getting overloaded we have no capacity to adjust. The wind power should be priced in the way the we could keep this very needed adjustment capacity.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Speaking of nuclear baseline. In 2023 Germany produced 9% less electricity and became a net importer even when electricity consumption decreased by 5%.

Wondering what will happen when the demand again rises. More coal or gas or both?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

The big elephant in the room is of course that leaving these habitats in pristine condition now is not gonna do much good when all the various effects of >2.5 °C of warming start hitting us. Inaction means death to those species too and there is no alternative to wind power in sight to achieve current emissions goals. The plan is for 80% of the energy sector to be decarbonized by 2030. That's in less than 6 years. It's gonna be close as hell, if we really manage to pull that off and there is absolutely no way to do it without speeding up wind power expansion from the piss poor state that the Merkel governments left us.

You could of course start by not shutting down the already built and existing nuclear power infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Finland is building an underground heat storage using pressurised water.

https://www.renewableenergymagazine.com/storage/world-s-largest-thermal-energy-storage-to-20240409