Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RichieWolk posted:

This is a wasted effort; the public in general is stupid as gently caress and has no intention of changing that. Humanity would be better off just working to improve efficiency and technology; gently caress what stupid people think.

Are people that stupid and fearful or are they misinformed? How much does the media actively ignore nuclear power, or emphasize nuclear disasters, while minimizing fossil fuel disasters?

I heard a story on NPR a few days ago about how grid power isn't reliable in India so there is a big market for industrial private generators, and having reliable electricity is becoming a class divide.

Problems with infrastructure were mentioned but limited to coal and oil. Nuclear Power was not mentioned at all (yes I know there is strong resistance to Nuclear in India).

Nuclear has a PR curse. It will not be dispelled because when the media, politics, and the energy industries intersect; you'd better believe almost all the money exchanged is from fossil fuels.

Dirty Bombs are a brilliant political deflection combining the ratings-grabbing public fear of atomz and terrorists.

Adam Curtis covered Nuclear pretty well in the last episode of his great (and prophetic) 1992 series "Pandora's Box"

http://youtu.be/1ON-EnaRtAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LP97S posted:

Now this could be good because Exelon already has plenty of experience with nuclear energy, on the other hand maybe I should use the bad word in the US and say "Nationalize all power systems" to save the time and effort.

Don't be afraid to say it. It really needs to be done. Convert the grid to nuclear, subsidize distributed renewables, and then carve the nuke program into state authorities that can be privatized at the leisure of the State Governments.

Once we've developed all this we can sell the knowledge and technology to India and China :)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Blimps are an excellent addition to the commercial air fleet. If you can make PVs that are light/flexible enough it could power itself.

We will never stop using fossil fuels entirely. We use petroleum products for things other than fuel so the chemical infrastructure will still be needed. Casual air travel might use blimps, but there will still be jets when you need to be there in a few hours. In terms of efficiency a ship is very different from a car, giant diesel tankers will probably be around for awhile (I don't think the US Navy is keen on anyone else making nuclear ships)

Isolated facilities use big rear end diesel generators I believe. I've read about mini nuke plants that aren't much bigger than a substation.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not spending my money on anything! It's all snake oil!

Hey why isn't our consumer-driven economy getting better!?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

There is a type of person who, when congratulated for using less electricity than their neighbors, will deliberately start using more electricity. You will never convince this person to use less power voluntarily. This person eats entire meals of pure meat to spite vegetarians and drives an SUV a few times around the block to spite environmentalists

People who do not want to be convinced, eh?

:commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Install Gentoo posted:

It seems to me that we should simply force the power companies to permanently shut down the fossil fuel plants first when efficiency lowers demand. Some form of incentives to keep the renewables up? Tax credit stuff if they shut down coal plants first?

If we're doing 3000 TWh of electricity production from fossil fuels now (like that chart from a bit ago said), and we can cut that down to 2000 TWh worth - well that's a shitload less pollution and stuff. And it's effectively the same benefit as replacing that 1000 TWh production with renewables and nuclear.

In the economics of the "free market" fossil fuels remain the best option because all the infrastructure and technology is geared toward it, in addition to subsidies that the industry can lobby for. This will continue as long as there is some place to get fuel (arctic, antarctic, deep sea, domestic coal deposits waiting to be stripped)

You seem just short of endorsing nationalization, which is what should be done :)