Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

Well, there is one way to get it done by 2025. Just shut it all down. Not a realistic approach, but definitely a possible solution.

And if crazy poo poo like the Texas cold snap keeps happening with no repercussions to the companies that helped to cause it, a nationwide blackout is definitely a possibility. Because during that event it wasn’t just Texas that was having a bad time. MISO Energy (ISO for the center of the country) was having a really bad time, and I am pretty sure was one or two unit trips away from losing it all. I see the grid adjacent to them, and I had never seen transmission transfers like I did that day.

I uh have a lot of experience and information in the same realm (MISO/PJM) and I uhhhh......agree lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Huh. I thought the US South/plains wouldn't start hitting grid capacity scenarios/warnings until July at the earliest. :thunk:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
to be fair, "2 years for parts" is becoming more common by the month in the world of power transmission. I've never seen anything like it. Every company is begging for spares from everyone else, and tons of critical parts have backorder estimates I've never seen anything close to before.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
My system has numerous 138kv transformers in service right now that were built and commissioned in the 1920s. And countless transformers/breakers that went online in the 40s and 50s. This stuff can last a long time if properly monitored and maintained.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Dameius posted:

Anything involving crypto is a waste, a scam, or both.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm not even sure what a 100% renewable grid would look like or be operated. Hydro is only available in select locations (and climate change will significantly change the conditions), and wind/solar can't ramp up or down and provide no frequency stability or inertia to the grid.