Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Hobo Erotica posted:

AS for the energy per m^2, I appreciate the clarification, but I feel it's semantics. I like the example I use, because it's easy for people to understand. It's the heat we want in Solar Thermal, that's where the energy for our electricity comes from, and the point is that there's a lot more in a small area than we might think from our sunbathing experience. And I think 'melt steel' is a more powerful illustration than 'boil coffee'. I do accept this could be lazy science writing though, and am curious to hear more.

I mean if energy is 'the potential to do work', then I think the way I describe it is basically right. There is enough in that amount of sunlight to do that amount of work. Ideally I link it to the video I posted (or a more professional one with James May for example, but I like the first one because it's just a guy in the backyard).
The problem is it doesn't describe the amount of work. How big a piece of steel? How focused does the sunlight need to be? There's a big difference between melting a giant steel girder with a cheap mirror, and melting a milligram of steel foil with a large, very precise set of optics. Both would describe melting steel, but they are quantitatively completely different and equating them is sloppy. You can say that coffee takes approximately 4.18 joules per gram-Kelvin to heat up, but "melting steel" is vague and hard to quantify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU