Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So is this thread gonna be our D&D energy Thunderdome? :haw:
Also where is the section about Space based Solar in the OP? :colbert:
I know Japan and the U.S DOD is looking into using it in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Turks posted:

I really can't see how space based solar makes any sense given the astronomical (:v:) cost of launching anything into space. Consider how many tons of mirrors a solar thermal plant rated at 200MW needs, and even if you magically quadrupled that figure by putting it in space you'd probably still be better off putting it on the ground. Same goes for PV.

Launch prices should start going down as more competition starts to sprout up in both private (spacex vs ULA vs Virgin Galatic) and public (Russia vs Chinese vs ESA) agencies.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Turks posted:

There's also the matter of how much energy it takes to launch things into space. How long would a space based solar array have to work just to pay off the energy debt of launching it?

http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2012/03/space-based-solar-power/

quote:

If I take my ultra-lightweight panel producing 1 kW/kg, I must launch 100 kg of rocket, at a cost of 5 GJ. A 1 kW panel will deliver 0.5 kW to the end-user, after transmission/conversion losses are considered. The 5 GJ launch price tag is then paid off in 107 seconds, or about one third of a year. Add the embodied energy of the other components in space and on the ground, and I could easily believe we get to a year payback—now bringing the total (manufacture plus launch) to two years and an EROEI around 10:1. If my 100× light-weighting proves to be unrealistic, and we can only realize a factor of ten improvement over our rooftop panels, the solar panel launch cost climbs to three years, so that adding other components results in perhaps a 4:1 EROEI.

This is also a very conservative estimate.
Even if its not *that* great it would still be worthy of subsidy since the promotion of space development and resources would be well worth its cost.

Edit:
Let me just say that I have a vested interest in Space Development since I see as the only real way Mankind will be able to begin the long process of restoring the biosphere once the rest of the world *hopefully* finishes the process of transition to low fertility around 2050 and human population begins topping out at around 9-10 billion.
The Challenge of our generation is to figure out how to prevent our civilization from crashing due to environmental stresses so that we can arrive at the population peak and begin the long process of undoing the damage to the Earth.
Expanding to Space will give the biosphere breathing room to adapt to the human dominated world we have created.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 4, 2012

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Turks posted:

Even if I concede the point that the EROEI is not as bad as my intuition told me, that link goes on to describe how it would be much more expensive and not save that much land area compared to ground based solar.

it's outside the scope of this thread but I also don't actually believe that space exploration can save us from ourselves. The only long term solution I know of is to lower our population to a more sustainable level, which apparently affluent and well educated societies do by themselves. Populations always expand until limited by resources, so getting more resources in space won't help so much as subverting this trend through cultural means.

:ssh: That's the point im trying to make my friend, but in order to make sure that all societies will eventually be able to make the Demographic transition and stay there mankind must gain breathing room to grow for some time while gaining practical knowledge of how to live in an efficient way.
Living and exploring in space would give people excellent insight into how to use limited resources in an efficient manner, since failure would mean death in space.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I'm pretty sure I tried to equate his mars plans with Galt's Gulch too.

There, from the horses mouth.

There's also a good quote from the man about taxes being theft, dudes super libertarian nutty.

And?
Like you do know that there is a range of libertarian positions right and that most of them don't involve purestrain objectivist lunacy?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I used to support nuclear power but an atomic energy lobbyist used the wrong pronoun while attempting to speak in support of some gender issues so I'm back looking for an ideologically pure source of energy.

Twitter and tumblr outrage would make an amazing energy source.
Because its driven by perpetual motion. :c00l:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What do you guys think of the big solar plant they are doing in Morocco?
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/04/465568055/morocco-unveils-a-massive-solar-power-plant-in-the-sahara

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What are the other problems with reprocessing waste other than the cost and political concerns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey you know what's good?
Solar panels