Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FreeKillB posted:

Interesting piece on why nuclear is so drat expensive.

Seems like a classic 'the perfect is the enemy of the good' phenomenon

Yeah it's basically three effects which all add up:

1. Increased safety requirements, Chernobyl and Fukushima both increased the regulatory burden across basically every nation on the planet
2. A lot of people are terrified of nuclear power, which adds upon factor 1) significantly
3. Nuclear construction has kept decreasing over the decades increasing marginal costs on everything involved through no longer having the advantage of economies of scale, something oil, coal, gas and renewable all benefit from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There's also just the dumb solution. Keep peddling waste from temporary to temporary spots for hundreds of years. A headache? Sure. A problem on the scale of fossil-fueled climate change? Pfffff.

EDIT: There's already so much toxic waste of early industrialization stewed away everywhere in nature that it's legitimately difficult for me to get worked up about one of the most heavily regulated and scrutinized forms of waste on the planet.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 20, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CourtFundedPoster posted:

Hey, so I've been skimming this thread for a while, and I think understand the trade-offs of all energy generation systems except one.

So, what's the pitfall with geothermal? You'll hear it doing the rounds of a lot of techno-optimist twitter, including people who work directly in the industry, which obviously induces suspicion, but I haven't seen as much direct push back with them as I have with pretty much every other energy generation proposal. On paper, it seems to solve the problems of nuclear (the public hasn't soured on it, it's comparatively cheaper to build) and Solar/Wind (can be built basically anywhere, isn't intermittent).

So, what's the catch? Is it just another vaporware case like fusion? Or are there deeper structural problems that make it hard to scale?

Sorry if this has been asked before, just curious as to what the current consensus on it is.

Geothermal energy is great, for heat. As for electricity that's a very mixed bag and someone else will have to respond.

If I take Sweden as an example. There's been a massive expansion in the last 20 years, basically wherever possible, of geothermal heating. The reason is that as long as electricity is cheap it is an extraordinarily effective way to heat a home. All you need is to front the initial investment and then you drill and pump. Downsides are an increased demand on the grid which can (and does) create problems downstream. But as for heating through electricity, I'm not even sure if there is a more effective alternative.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bad_fmr posted:

You are probably mixing "real" geothermal energy, which uses the heat coming from the core of the earth with residential geothermal heat pump system. The heat pump system has shallow wells and gets its heat from the soil that is heated by sunlight, so it is technically solar heating system, which means that the temperature gradient is not that big. So it is only really usable for heating, not for creating electricity. But it is really efficient form of heating for sure. Just a bit expensive to install. The real geothermal power plants on the other hand have hunderds of degrees heat gradient can be and are used to create electricity.

I feel that is a bit semantical, but yes that was my point by putting anything other than geothermal heating under iffy. I know for instance that Iceland has lots of "real" geothermal power, but I also know that style is not really applicable anywhere not sitting upon a dormant/active volcano.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Who doesn't love a good man-made earthquake.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone know anything more about this story? https://news.stanford.edu/2019/05/23/lessons-south-korea-solving-geothermals-earthquake-problem/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My home kills at least 2-3 birds a year. :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wibla posted:

Not to worry, they're building wind farms in :norway: instead :cripes:

There's actual vehement political opposition to wind farms in Norway? Also, don't you ever suggest that the norwegian economy should diversify and stop pumping up all the oil that it possibly can.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

3km is death sentence in any but the most sparsely populated parts of a country. Like even on the rural countryside, 3km makes any building almost impossible.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why? It can't really compete with nordic wind and hydro.

EDIT: Like here is a snapshot from right now

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 6, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

We need our power for our own phasing out our own fossil fuel production and transition. The last thing we need are increased electricity prices from further integration with the clusterfuck that is continental europe and it's power generation policies. We are really dependant on our access to cheap electricity, we don't use gas at all for instance.

Europe needs to fix it's own poo poo. And there's no way we'd be able to expand power generation up here to meet demand in the south and keep our prices down.

Is that really what is happening though...? Transfer costs are still a thing and wind power is at the point where it has to be exported south and east because it can and will push energy prices to 0€ during increasing periods of the year. Needless to say, this both makes increasing renewables more dicey (not what we want) and makes nuclear less profitable (also not what we want).

If the energy can travel south, theoretically, it should both increase growth of renewables and exert cost pressure southwards on coal and gas. Am I missing something here?

suck my woke dick posted:

Rapidly decarbonising your grid through only renewables and without wrecking your environment might be barely possible in Norway/Sweden/Finland. Even then, Finland wants to keep nuclear in the mix and Sweden has shelved nuclear exit plans. With insane radiophobes, blind renewables and nothing else everywhere optimists and corrupt fossil fuel boosters running amok across the rest of the EU I'd definitely want to insulate my power grid of I were running a Scandinavian country.

There's talk of nuclear power returning to the north with all the industrial expansion going on. Highly theoretical at this stage, but at the rate energy needs are expanding, hydro power is about to go from abundant to scarce in northern Sweden within the following decades.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 6, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I mean, I'm not really worried about central Europe pushing up energy prices because most of what we pay here for energy is monopoly-rent from waves of privatizations of our power grid. But that might be an uniquely Swedish experience. :suicide:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Making electricity a market commodity was the worst mistake in the history of energy politics.

Especially weird considering water, which also runs into every home and has huge investment costs, is run at-cost in regulated monopolies around here.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Goons nowadays seems to think it's cool to think fusion is non viable and that it's gonna remain so.

Honestly thought I'd clicked into the yugioh thread for five seconds.

Barring any technological groundbreaking breakthroughs I'm confident with putting it into the fantasy isle. We have a lot of technologies accessible today that we're already under-utilizing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

And hell, you've got Germany telling the EU Commission that "Natural Gas is Green Energy", its pretty blatant now days how bad this is.

The clearest indication that natural gas isn't going anywhere is that through the last two decades cutting off the pipelines to Russia has never even been on table. Instead it's expansion.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Putting aside the nuclear question, a bigger problem is that society is just uninterested and unwilling to steer as many resources towards non-carbon energy as is actually required. Where are our mass engineering storage projects, where are our massive state renewable projects. More and more money is being funneled, but it's still nowhere near enough and above it's still mostly incentive money rather than any kind of war economy where the state directly intervenes in education, construction and investment.

Market is dominant and markets say investment goes to gas. Hundreds of thousands of people every year across the US and EU are learning skills which are only usable in fossil fuel industries. It's so blatantly backward.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah for the most part Nuclear is getting some pretty high scores, largely because the plants last longer, emit less overall lifetime emissions, and tend to be incredibly cheap to operate once they are completed. That's before we get to energy density and safety being a higher concern therefore they tend to be safer overall.

Yeah Nuclear cost prohibitive factor is financing which uh, is not a real cost.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Hope the Euro winter energy crisis spawns a bigger than ever push for renewables in those markets.

It will on account of rendering current investments unfathomably profitable.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Again, opportunity costs exist even in the utter absence of profit motive.

Sure, but it's the opportunity cost of planners, nuclear engineers and boatloads of concrete. Money is not a real restrictive factor at all, read up on how government financing works. Capital cost is never the restrictive factor for government investments in the developed world.

On the contrary, wind power has real limitations as even with production capacity skyrocketing every year there's still so much pent-up demand in the system that money doesn't help.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuclear energy's problem is and continues to be energy markets. Its inability to flexibly accommodate demand cycles means it loses out to most other forms of energy generation when it comes to generating the only thing that really matters in a market, creating profitable revenue. Hydro, gas and renewables all decrease the profitability of nuclear power, at lower financial risk.

As long as you have energy markets rather than energy planning this will not change.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Turning Japan to one grid would truly be nightmare project.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Isn't it just the heatwave + maintenance?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dante80 posted:

A question. It is my understanding that the rated capacity for nuclear power is negatively affected to a degree in the summer due to the rise of water temperature in adjacent rivers/lakes/sea.
How much does this affect energy production realistically in a country like France?

Significantly, though not as as significantly as the underinvestment and problems with corrosion adding on-top in France's case.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/warming-rivers-threaten-frances-already-tight-power-supply-2022-07-15/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What I'm always curious about is how household storage will factor in long-term. With every single household with money to spare around here getting solar panels, batteries and electric cars at the same time more and more households are practically off-grid (bar winter ofc).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The leak was discovered due to waterside bubbles of natural gas so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Frankly, it's solving problems that don't need to be solved.