Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Flaky posted:

Cars are another standout. Although they have improved mightily in the performance and safety departments, all that came at the cost of fuel efficiency.

I'm pretty sure all cars have vastly improved fuel efficiency. It's just that americans used the fuel efficiency to build bigger cars, not save on fuel costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Hobo Erotica posted:

Speaking of Chinese Solar potential...

China to install 3,000mW solar thermal power by 2015

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2012-11/22/content_15950340.htm

m = milli
M = mega

Interesting article, though.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

CombatInformatiker posted:

I've read 1.5 chapters of that book (Google didn't let me read any further), and it seems to be a little simplistic (multiplying the chance of an accident by it's severity and conclude that there's no increased danger? Come on, you can't be serious!) and clearly biased towards nuclear energy, so it's not something I'm looking for.

Watch the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BHdsjo-NR4

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Wait what, 20,000 deaths?? I thought like only a couple people died and not even from radiation?

19000 people died from the tsunami.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I know germans are pants-making GBS threads stupid about nuclear power but they don't actually think the plant caused the tsunami do they?

You're missing the point. The facts were deliberately distorted in order to give the idea that fukushima caused the deaths. However, it's phrased so that they can always say "well we didn't say fukushima caused them, just that they're linked." Of course they're linked! The tsunami killed thousands of people, and damaged the plant. The statement is insidious and disingenuous in order to support an anti-nuclear agenda.