Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
you guys excited for solid state batteries?

sources say toyota made one with mid 700 mile range and under 10 minute charging time

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
have you guys heard of the aptera car?

it can get up to 40 miles a day from the solar panels that are part of the car. also they have options with the highest being 1000 miles off a full battery

TheMuffinMan fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 7, 2023

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
the aptera car

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

TheMuffinMan posted:

the aptera car

tried to upload a photo didn't work

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
the aptera car

https://www.designboom.com/technology/aptera-launch-edition-solar-car-01-31-2023/

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
yeah

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
are you guys saying an aptera car can't get 40 miles of range if under the sun all day?

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
California is stopping the sale of gasoline cars in 2035

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
A really great and obvious idea for energy production is to cover the water canals with solar panels. This helps less water evaporate and uses up very little added space.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
"A study by the University of California, Merced gives a boost to the idea, estimating that 63 billion gallons of water could be saved by covering California’s 4,000 miles of canals with solar panels that could also generate 13 gigawatts of power. That’s enough for the entire city of Los Angeles from January through early October."

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Part of the problem there is transmission, avoiding environmentally hazardous materials falling into the river, and possibly blocking sunlight to organisms that need it?

to hell with the organisms

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Part of the problem there is transmission, avoiding environmentally hazardous materials falling into the river, and possibly blocking sunlight to organisms that need it?

maybe there is a good way to filter pure H2O out of the stream of water

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
though i kind of like the taste of certain minerals in water

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
i saw a video over 10 years ago about how orange country in California recycled their water. I think it was greywater.

one of the last steps was blasting the water with UV Radiation to help kill the bad stuff. they said the final result was drinkable water.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
is solar and/or wind powerful enough to run ocean water desalination plants or do you need nuclear fusion or something.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
regarding nuclear fusion power out vs power in (the Qext represents that ratio below)

"The record for Qext was held by JT-60, with Qext = 1.25, slightly besting JET's earlier Qext = 1.14. In December 2022, the National Ignition Facility reached Q = 1.54 with a 3.15 MJ output from a 2.05 MJ laser heating, which remains the record as of 2023"

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
have you guys heard of cold fusion

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ahhh how i miss smoking weed

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC the NIF is also using really old lasers and the facility as a whole is more about weapons related research than about working on a civilian/commercial reactor. It'd be interesting to see how far they could push the envelop using modern technology and engineering based on everything learned with much more efficient lasers and so on. Maybe if that room temp superconductor works out maybe that can help.

"Over their 50-year history, lasers have gone from producing powers of a few hundred watts to greater than a petawatt, or a quadrillion watts. Several key technological jumps have allowed researchers to compress laser beams into infinitesimally short pulses, which amplifies their peak power"

one petawatt has 1,024 terawatts

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think you're responding to what I'm saying; you post indicates indicates that lasers for sure have gotten more powerful which isn't what I'm talking about?

what

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure I understand where the confusion is coming from, perhaps can you explain with some of your own commentary or provide the argument that the quote you posted is meant to support? Maybe we're talking past each other here.

i'm just gonna say thanks for your laser post it made me google a bit and learn more

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
"5 proposed paths to generate energy from fusion"

https://www.quora.com/If-I-made-a-fusion-reactor-how-do-I-generate-electricity-from-it

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Infinite Karma posted:

There are a few, off the top of my head. Fresh water is still a limited resource. Technology to store H2 long-term isn't great - the molecule is so small that it's very hard to contain without substantial leaks. Pure H2 and pure O2 are very valuable for non-energy generation uses, so burning them to create energy isn't economically smart.

what is pure H2 and O2 needed for besides energy production

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

DTurtle posted:

Pure H2 is expected to replace coal in steel production.

omg

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Kalman posted:

It’s not a loving SSD, it uses the correct units.

1 petawatt is 1000 terawatts.

gently caress.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

DTurtle posted:

Why?
Currently CO2 is the byproduct. In the future it will be H2O.

uhmmm

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

DTurtle posted:

If you write complete sentences, it might actually be possible to have a conversation .

yeah well if you don't project random poo poo my way, it might be possible to have a conversation

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what the relationship is between more CO2 and algae levels in the ocean

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
a new way to get lithium ....

https://engineering.princeton.edu/n...0and%20lithium.

TheMuffinMan fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 10, 2023

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://newatlas.com/energy/touchwind-floating-wind-turbine/

a lower cost wind turbine

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/new-tape-nuclear-fusion-reactors

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I thought with new catalysts/enzymes getting hydrogen from water is very low cost

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

Still far more costly than just getting it out of the ground for pretty much free, if you have a viable reservoir.
Obviously, you wont get to produce hydrogen from water at an actual energy win, so the energy has to come from somewhere else.

Basically, ground hydrogen can be fuel, while produced hydrogen can only be a battery.

plenty of energy to come from the sun though right via solar panels

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Deuce posted:

If you think about it, isn't the sun just a really big battery that's constantly discharging? :haw:

most of the sun is plasma

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
"Green hydrogen produced through electrolysis using renewable power costs US$10-15 per kg , depending on availability. Grey hydrogen produced with cheap fracked natural gas costs US$2 per kg in the US, while in Europe, Australia and Asia it costs US$5-6 per kg due to higher natural gas prices"

"The Honda Clarity vehicle obtained about 77 miles (124 km) per kilogram of hydrogen in the city, 67 miles (108 km) per kilogram highway and 72 miles (116 km) per kilogram in combined driving."

Unfortunately there was not enough demand for the honda clarity so it was discontinued.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

uhhhhh that's why i quoted my "facts"

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://scitechdaily.com/new-breakthrough-in-energy-storage-mit-engineers-create-supercapacitor-out-of-ancient-materials/

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://scitechdaily.com/unusual-findings-overturn-current-battery-wisdom/

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://bgr.com/tech/a-special-molecule-that-violates-the-laws-of-physics-could-lead-to-limitless-energy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
have you guys heard of utilizing energy during the day to move brick like things or heat metal?

that way you can have that potential energy be used during non sunlight hours.

For example, "when a thermoelectric material is exposed to a temperature gradient — for example, one end is heated, while the other is cooled — electrons in that material start to flow from the hot end to the cold end, generating an electric current"

bricks that have been raised during sunlight can be dropped to create electricity