Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Yeti Fiasco posted:

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that efficiency is awesome, but not saving grace that will somehow make the world better.

Despite all these advancements in efficient electronics, the US energy production increases each year to fit demand because they're simply using more of it, even with all their super energy saving kitchen appliances.

This is due primarily to increasing population, though. Energy use per capita has been mostly static or decreasing since the 70s.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Flaky posted:

Is there some point at which everyone will just decide 'actually, 2 babies is more than enough'.
Yes.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Flaky posted:

So basically once people are secure enough in their social development, turns out they actually quite like having babies?
I don't really know why you responded with this. The rebound phenomenon is found in one study, disputed, and small in comparison to the overall pattern of decline, something that you could have easily seen for yourself. It's certainly of academic interest, but virtually irrelevant to the general observation that improving quality of life and women's education is the surest way of reducing birthrates.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

God drat I don't know how to read a reddit. Everything's hidden in a billion trees which then have further trees and I have to manually hunt for all the actual answers?? Am I missing some button that makes things readable and makes sense?
The threading might be better if everything started out collapsed, with only the first comment in a thread showing. Then you could expand one when it seems interesting to you. But yeah, I don't know how people stand the format as it is.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Just throw it into an eccentric orbit, the sun will eat it eventually.
You can't "just" throw something into an eccentric orbit if you're starting from a nearly circular one, sadly. It takes almost as much delta-v as the basic "throw it into the sun" would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Anosmoman posted:

I liked solar a lot more before I saw this

Solar in Germany :negative:
The fact that this goes negative makes me think it must be solar radiance minus black body radiation from the earth itself. But that would also mean it's not a very good guide to the productivity of solar power, since only the former figure would be relevant for that.