Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

the posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. I was just wondering if there was any possible way that families could possibly provide their own power, or if there were any simple initiatives that could be provided on a citywide level to reduce consumption. I know that painting roofs a certain color was famously suggested by our President (and mocked by Conservatives).

One thing people can do if they're building a new home is to install a geothermal heat pump system.

This is quite expensive after-the-fact to tear up your yard and install, so it has a long payback time in that circumstance...

But when the home is first built, everyone should be installing them, really. In areas where it makes sense, I would support a law that makes it a requirement for any yard over _____ size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Hobo Erotica posted:

:words:

The best example here is refrigerators.

It seems to me that refrigerators are an extreme example, because they were so bad to begin with.

I have trouble thinking of any other super common appliance or device that was that inefficient.

Also, it seems like the really easy improvements are either done, or being pushed now through existing programs like energy star and CAFE.

So I guess the question would be, what program would you actually expand or create to force additional efficiency improvements?

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

If nothing else, you clearly want this to be true, really really badly.

Secretive behavior makes sense to a certain extent if you're trying to protect future profits, but the specific things he is hiding really don't.

Consider: the fact that the thing is available for "pre order".... this means that the supposed secret sauce catalyst will be open knowledge, if he truly plans to ship units (I doubt they ever will).

If the plan was, instead, to find some investors, build a massive power plant, and start exporting energy to everywhere around the globe... but keep the tech secret forevermore... then the secrecy would make a lot more sense. After the first billion dollars of profit, everyone would believe without needing to see.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

edit: oops, somehow I was back 10 pages in the thread.

Have a pretty picture in the meantime of our Nuclear Future

lapse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 6, 2015

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Edit: Oops wrong thread