Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Windmill question. Why do windmills, located in the same grouping, have so much variation in rpm? I'd think differing wind speeds, but they are about as close together as they can get, so that doesn't make much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anything that isn't solar or wind gets laughed at by a certain, fairly significant, segment of the environmentalist population. Large scale nuclear isn't going to happen until that changes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

The cost incurred by the effects of global warming will be many orders of magnitude greater than even the cost of going to a global grid that is 100% powered by nuclear power plants, and even if we tripled the regulatory cost of every new plant going from this point forward, and even if we replaced literally every old nuclear power plant with a new one.

So the problem is that the free market is unable to internalize these massive forthcoming global-scale costs; that's not something that free markets have ever really been able to do, and nobody really expects them to. The return on investment may not be seen for decades and would largely not be reaped by the owner of the nuclear power plants but by society itself benefiting from less fallout caused by global warming. Thus, the task should fall to governments, who in the past have done exactly this kind of thing to significant and great effect, who are able to overcome the limits of the free market, and who typically operate on the much longer time scales that are required to tackle a problem as large and as far-reaching as global warming.
The cost he's talking about is time and expertise. Monetary as well, but that's not the primary.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Easy desalination was one of the side benefits of the liquid salt thorium reactor setup iirc. Makes sense to use as many of the by products as you can.