Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I hope everyone involved in the above ridiculous discussion realizes exactly how dumb the idea of telling people to spend $20 now so they can save $5 over the next 15 years is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

computer parts posted:

Would you also like to share your opinions on home insulation and higher efficiency vehicles?
If you give me $100 now I will give you $101 (adjusted for inflation) on your 80th birthday. What a great deal for you!

If you want people to do something inconvenient your return is going to have to be a lot better than pennies a year over the next 2 decades. CFLs and LEDs aren't going to win over many converts on cost savings just because the savings are small and the time frame is far too long.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Maybe you should take your misguided, five year old arguments elsewhere? CFLs are a clearly superior choice to incandescents today with payback periods measured in months, and the same will probably be true of LEDs by the end of the decade.
I was referencing the LED vs CFL debate above. Sorry if that was unclear. Overall greenness of LEDs over CFLs is a better argument for adoption than saving a few bucks over a multi-year timeframe.

computer parts posted:

So I take it your answer to my previous question was "exactly like lightbulbs, chief"?
If you told me the benefit of re-insulating my house or buying a new car would be a savings of less than $100 over 10 years I would be a fool to do it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Taerkar posted:

Is it enough to retire on? Of course not, but it'll make that retirement just a little bit nicer.
It's still the weakest of several arguments. Seriously, most Americans can't figure out why pay-day loans are a bad idea. "Saves you $0.25 a day!" isn't much of a marketing slogan.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

It's the exact same argument that caused the surge in demand for fuel efficiency, so maybe you should rethink your position. Pay day loans prey on people who live hand to mouth, not people who can afford to buy LED bulbs
Do you honestly not see a difference between a large savings with a small (if any) additional up-front cost as in the case of fuel efficient cars, and a small savings with a significant additional up-front cost?

If you look at the numbers you'll also notice that "greenness" has been a significant driver of hybrid vehicle sales even when the math isn't in their favor.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

the fact that we'd be strapping ourselves to yet another non-renewable resource that we'd have to get over in another hundred years or so, it seems like biting the bullet and splashing out for true renewables would be the best course of action here?
Uranium supply isn't renewable but it is for all practical purposes unlimited.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Part of the heating system would be a series of pipes, filled with these salts. Excess heat would melt them during the day, then they would give off the heat as they resolidified during the night. They'd be essentially maintenance free and last for decades.
Miles of underground pipes full of molten salt doesn't sound entirely maintenance free.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I'm not concerned about reactors maliciously melting down in spite of all of our best efforts because nuclear just hates our children and freedom. I'm concerned about what happens when we inevitably gently caress it up.
Honestly? Chernobyl happens. That's pretty much the worst possible combination of bad design, bad management, bad operating and bad emergency response. Even when you take the most completely outrageous numbers for human suffering resulting from the Chernobyl disaster we could have one a year and still not match the sheer number of premature deaths burning fossil fuels cause.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

silence_kit posted:

So if we assume that uranium is 25% of the operating cost, then raising the uranium cost by 5x would roughly double the operating costs of running a nuclear plant. Doesn't sound insignificant to me, unless I am missing something or doing the math wrong.
It isn't insignificant, but the costs of nuclear generation are heavily end-loaded. Startup and shutdown costs are huge, but actually generating power is relatively cheap.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CombatInformatiker posted:

The problem is that you can't just view it from a global point of view, you have to look at the local effects. If radioactive waste were to leak into ground water, you can't just say that it's insignificant compared to the total amount of radiation on earth, so you have to make sure that it cannot contaminate your soil or your water. Keep in mind that there are a lot of countries with high energy demand which do not have the US's luxury of large, uninhabited wastelands where is doesn't really matter if some radiation leaks into the ground.
The best storage solution for less prosperous nations would be to simply ship their waste to someone else to reprocess into fuel. Barring reprocessing, there are a number of effective disposal techniques. Most involve locking the waste into a solid matrix (concrete, glass, Synroc) and then putting it someplace you can keep an eye on it, or burying it someplace where you won't have to. In the US these efforts have largely been derailed by NIMBYism and political insanity about 50 million year plans and the possibility of aliens or neo-cavemen discovering repositories.

Or you could get rid of waste the way the Italians do. Hand it to the mafia along with a big suitcase full of money and then pretend it never existed in the first place.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Gotta love an article that calls nuclear power "unsafe, expensive, [and] polluting" but handwaves away hydropower like drowning a few hundred square kilometers ain't no thang.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

Article showing that 99.9% uptime is possible with just renewables, in America.
In 15 years, maybe.

15 years ago we were going to have fusion power in 15 years.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dusseldorf posted:

Excess energy can also be put into things like Aluminum production, especially if the plants work off peak hours.
You can't really start and stop a large industrial operation like a smelter to take advantage of surplus electrical capacity.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Nuclear is not renewable.
The global supply of uranium is inexhaustible in any reasonable time frame. Nuclear is renewable if you define "renewable" as energy sources capable of producing at or above current output levels for millions of years.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Just because our supply of something is near infinite compared to current or future use does not mean that it is renewable. There is a certain amount of uranium in the earth's crust, if we were to mine it all we would not have any more.

Renewable energy comes from energy delivered by the sun (directly or indirectly) or in the case of geothermal, the earth's core.
Both the sun and the Earth's core are entirely finite resources. They produce a finite amount of usable energy over a finite time span. We just think of them as "renewable" because both the amount of energy produced and the time span over which it is produced are very, very large numbers. Nuclear fission is essentially in the same ballpark of shitloads of energy over millions of years.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

redreader posted:

I'm seeing this posted on facebook a lot: http://ukiahcommunityblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/fukushima-28-signs-that-the-west-coast-is-being-absolutely-fried-with-nuclear-radiation/

I see that it quotes infowars once, and the first 5 points are entirely bullshit. (#5 quotes 'mox news'). However it does quote researchers saying various things that do sound scary. It seems like the blogger tried to gather every single report about fukushima possible, and compiled them without caring about whether they were bullshit or not. Are those points all bullshit, or just some of them?
All entirely bullshit or at least totally unrelated to radiation.

You know how I know? Because radiation isn't like some kind of secret ray that only black helicopters can detect. If poo poo is radioactive enough to actually do damage it's pretty obvious. Like way too obvious to hide. Any idiot could buy the equipment off Amazon and test himself so these articles wouldn't be full of "some people say" they'd have numbers.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 27, 2013

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Arghy posted:

they will gladly explain to you whats going on.
At great length.

In fact most would be thrilled that another human has showed interest in whatever incredibly esoteric subject they study.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CombatInformatiker posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion:
It is my understanding that nuclear power plants typically provide base load power, is that correct? If yes, how would nuclear replace current peak load power sources?
Correct. To handle peak you either just build more nukes or have gas plants on hand. Unlike coal fired plants nuclear fuel costs are very low. Having them generating when they aren't needed isn't such a huge waste, and you can always use the extra to do something like desalinate water.

Edit: If you can get away with having your nukes pump water uphill all night you could probably use hydro to cover peaks.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Nuclear power is relatively safe and clean as long as it's properly overseen, controlled and regulated.
And the only other option is unsafe and dirty even when it's properly overseen, controlled and regulated. That's the rub. Your choices aren't nuclear power or clean energy, they're nuclear power or coal power. Coal power is killing us right now by the millions, so hypothetical nuclear accidents don't seem all that threatening.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Hobo Erotica posted:

Also my original questions weren't meant to start the same old nuclear argument again, I really just wanted to know what's the deal with the fuel rods in Japan. What's going to happen to them? What happens if they touch, or are exposed to air? Are they going to move them, and if so, how?

Or are TEPCO just not being forthcoming with any of this and so we just don't know? If so, where does that leave us? Is there some sort of international regulatory body that can step in in this kind of a situation? If not, should there be?

If the hot fuel rods are exposed to air they'll heat up, burn, and melt. That would be a bad thing for obvious reasons. They'll probably be removed and packed into casks for long term storage at some point. A lot of material is going to have to be very carefully disassembled and packed away during the mitigation process. It is going to take a long time and be incredibly boring, so I doubt it will get much news coverage.

TEPCO isn't being particularly forthcoming with the press, but the government seems to have whipped them into line. What information does come out is in Japanese, so we aren't hearing a whole lot in the rest of the world.What I've seen translated is all pretty mundane. At the moment the Japanese government seems to have a handle on things so I don't see any reason for the international community to do anything other than provide support as requested. Though with the proliferation of nuclear technology into less developed states I can certainly see the utility of having an international nuclear accident task force ready.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Is this "Nuclear Emergency Tracking Center" a thing to trick idiots into buying geiger counters they don't need or what's the deal?
You got it in one.

It appears to be run by apocalypse-obsessed Christian Fundamentalists.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Adenoid Dan posted:

Yes, there are 5 gyres where floating debris gets trapped (although large amounts escape and wash up on shore), but they are still quite large, and the density of the garbage is pretty low.
For example estimates of density in the North Pacific Gyre are around 5.5kg/km^2.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Lurking Haro posted:

We could also use overcapacity to filter carbondioxide out of the air and sea, and make hydrocarbons once fossil fuels get expensive enough to make the process worth it.
Or to desalinate water or just generally do a million other things that require cheap electricity.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the issue is that mocking freep doesn't make you left-wing and to be honest American liberals really aren't leftists. The age of LF is over, and D&D is more or less reflecting the American political perspective....which is a pretty big shift to the right.
Do you have any kind of point that is at all relevant to energy generation, resource extraction, or any other topic in this thread? Because it seems like you're just repeatedly pointing out that you don't like Fishmech while making vague accusations about tone, and complaining that D&D in general isn't Marxist enough for you.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

JohnGalt posted:

Its not something that another president could reignite then? Also, how scientifically solid was it to put there? I work with a guy who was a hydrogeologist involved with the project in some capacity and he swears that it was a case of science providing the best possible solution (from a geologic perspective) and there was no real reason to oppose it.
Not going to happen with Harry Reid in the Senate.

silence_kit posted:

Don't people in this thread get tired of whining about how nuclear energy is politically unpopular in the US? Do we really need to devote another 60 pages of this thread to this subject?
The gently caress else is there to discuss? Fuel companies run everything and nothing is ever going to change. Maybe some hippies will build a waterwheel somewhere to power an organic pot farm and a few more governments and VCs will get scammed by whatever cold fusion mega-solar space windmill is being sold this week.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

What kind of service life does a large scale solar-thermal plant have? I imagine that highly reflective panels aren't exactly the most robust things in the world.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

computer parts posted:

I'm seeing around 30 years, maybe 50.
The idea of paving over Texas with solar just reminded me that Texas has massive sandstorms and baseball sized hail so I was wondering exactly how robust those big reflectors are.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hmm, speaking of which it brings to mind the little problem the solar bikepath in the Netherlands had:

https://twitter.com/PercyTwits/status/548754743557128192/photo/1
Did somebody forget it gets cold in the Netherlands?

Edit: Is it "the Netherlands" or just "Netherlands" like Ukraine?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

So roughly how big a hunk of Plutonium would I need to get a decent amount of horsepower out of an RTG?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

So according to wikipedia "one gram of plutonium-238 generates approximately 0.5 watts of thermal power." so at 750 watts and ~20% thermoelectric efficiency it's ~7.5 kg/HP. Also you need a heatsink that can dissipate the 3.5 kW, so if you want to heat something at the same time it's just dandy.
I sort of like the idea of a 9,000lb, 500HP, nuclear powered muscle car.

Get on it American auto industry.

Edit: And the heater would be fantastic!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Who the hell wrote that and why do they still say "plumbum" and "wolfram" :psyduck:

VV I kinda figured it was weirdly translated... VV

The Russian word for "Tungsten" is вольфра́м (Wolfram) so it's just a direct translation.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

A big untouched wilderness isn't really worth anything if all the humans are stuck in hellhole megacities which are polluted to gently caress and back.
For Deep Greens, Primitivists, and other such weirdos nature is an end unto itself.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Notice all that sweet sweet wind action up in corn country? :getin:
Lots of good offshore spots too. Difficult to use those since rich people get uppity about their views being "spoiled" by turbines. Posthumously gently caress Ted Kennedy and all the other rich douchers who don't like looking at badass windmills.

Edit: Flying into Copenhagen and seeing those turbines cutting through the fog is one of the coolest things ever.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 28, 2015

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

silence_kit posted:

In the US, don't we already have a lot of agricultural land where we could put windmills anyway? just a drop in the bucket, then it doesn't matter much.
You can't eat windmills.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Also countries that aren't America exist
I'd like to see you prove that.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm not sure if I would call Carter under-informed or "silly" in his opinions of nuclear power.
It is possible to be an intelligent person with stupid opinions.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

blowfish posted:

If uranium or thorium run out
If we run out of Uranium and haven't yet ascended as a species into beings of pure energy it will have been entirely our own fault.

There is a lot of Uranium. It is a not insignificant fraction of the total mass of Earth.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tias posted:

Renewable plants failing just become an inert building taking up some space
Just like old chemical refineries and waste dumps. Just inert building taking up space, nothing to see here.

Renewable power generation is an industrial process that is no less harmful to the environment than most other industrial processes. Remediation will still have to be carried out when renewable infrastructure is obsoleted or ends its service life.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tias posted:

I'm not replying to smug assholes who can't see the difference betwen a chemical refinery and a wave energy station. Bye.
Hey guys if it breaks there's absolutely nothing wrong with just leaving a power plant to sit and rust in the intertidal zone right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tias posted:

Dude, you were born a shitposter, and you'll die a shitposter. Provoke yourself if you want to, but I got better things to do with my time than replying to your shitbrained flailings.
You said it bro, not me. Getting all huffy at me for calling you out on a ridiculous statement is childish.

Tias posted:

Renewable plants failing just become an inert building taking up some space