Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
EDIT: never mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Who the hell wrote that and why do they still say "plumbum" and "wolfram" :psyduck:

VV I kinda figured it was weirdly translated... VV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niobium#Naming_of_the_element

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

PhazonLink posted:

Clearly the nuclear power plant that's 1 AU away is undependable.(and deadly)

We should burn more coal.

Still causes more cancer than any coal plant I've worked at...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Optimizing axial burnup is also an option.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Nocturtle posted:

Has this been discussed?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-new-mexico-nuclear-dump-20160819-snap-story.html

I'm generally supportive of nuclear energy, but it's troubling to see that an accident involving a single barrel of nuclear waste could cost billions to clean up. The waste that caused the accident was from the US nuclear weapons program, but the contaminated facility was/is supposed to store commercial reactor waste as well. It's also not great that safeguards like the air filtration system failed. It's nice to see that the company contracted to manage the site during the accident received an additional contract to clean it up.

Rescind statehood for Nevada, build a real repository, lock Harry Reid in it.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

Except that there are reactor designs and fuel cycles which don't require Yucca Mountains?

Those designs / cycles still very much require repositories, just not for actinides, and not for as long.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

floppyspud posted:

i just cannot wrap my head around it. 100 people dying in a nuclear accident means we should never touch the technology again, but 250,000 in a dam failure and its the power of the future? im not anti hydro, it was the fault of really bad engineering, just like... shouldnt that just obviously be contradictory?

It's because they think if their electrons don't come from nuclear, they won't get glassed in WWIII.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

VictualSquid posted:

But the root cause of the strong anti-nuclear sentiment in Germany has always been the embarrassing stupidity of the pro-nuclear lobby, imo.

This is the most German thing I've ever read.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

That it has anything to do with energy generation.

ICF is more about reducing demand than providing supply.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TheMuffinMan posted:

have u guys heard of eric dollard

from what I know it’s funny his name has the word dollar in it considering what he stands for

https://ericdollardmoonman.ytmnd.com/

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
4th generation was originally just an initiative to keep Soviet engineers and physicists from ending up in the wrong place, but without developing actual nuclear power plant designs.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Son of Rodney posted:

This thread also thinks nuclear is somehow, magically, against all reality a solution to climate change, so I'm a bit wary about those bring ups. Also I've mentioned it before: base load generation does not equal fossil or nuclear generators, it only means theres a necessary minimum power requirement that needs to be fulfilled. Wind can be baseload, solar can be baseload, the issue is not falling under a minimum threshold.

So you're German right?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Not thinking of "Feminazi"?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

in a well actually posted:

Four 200 mw reactors cost a lot more than one 700 mw reactor; thanks, square-cube law.

That's not really the case, for exactly the same square-cube law you mention. A lot of the safety systems required, and required to be highly redundant and nuclear specific, fall away as the square dominates the cube.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

in a well actually posted:

I don’t understand how having four safety systems is cheaper than one safety system, though? Or hooking one safety system up to four reactors is cheaper than hooking it up to one?

People are making it sound more intricate than it really is. As the surface/volume fraction goes up, passive heat transfer becomes more dominant over the heat generation. And, from an PWR/BWR core's perspective, as long as it's below the boiling point of its coolant, its fuel is practically incapable of being damaged by overheating. Also, certain water volumes in the primary system can't be scaled down proportionately, meaning that they will dominate transient heat production even more.

Now, I've had a few compost fires in my day, but those compost piles were >1 m³. My kitchen compost bucket never catches fire. If there were compost cooling systems for sale, I wouldn't be installing a 1:200 scale system for my kitchen compost bucket -- I'd just not need it.

Now, an 870 MW BWRX-300, for example, won't manage all of its cooling needs passively, but its need for multi-pressure emergency core cooling won't just be proportionally scaled

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I don't think the 200 MW Indian unit is SMR to that degree,
"SMR" is a silly term, and pretty much only NuScale was delivering on what it was promising in a utility scale.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

MightyBigMinus posted:

yea as of the total implosion of nuscale its officially time to start considering anyone talking about smr's kindof a schmuck

Ok?

It's an indictment of the "modular" part of the acronym. They were selling a PWR/SG/containment that could be serially produced and delivered in a significantly pre-assembled state. Which seems to only be done at a reactor size slightly above that everybody else in this SMR discussion is pitching for the application of remote mining sites / military bases (but without the cycle lengths / infrastructure independence that they're claiming).

It's a long-term improvement that this SMR push did inspire a number of designs that genuinely take advantage of nuclear design experience to simplify designs in the 100-500 MWe range, based on the physical consequences of their size and the use of more passive cooling / pressure relief methods. And to minimize the number of nuclear-grade systems, structures and components required from the very beginning of the design phase.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Luxembourg's generation can be found under France.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Gucci Loafers posted:

Unpopular opinion, many of these activists have zero background in energy or industrialized society and haven't been bothered to pick up a single book on the topic. Climate Change is becoming a religion. To them, O&G is just a evil boogy man and everything they do must be wrong.

Germans just thought if they prayed away the nuclear power hard enough that they wouldn't get glassed in WWIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Nothing wacky about it. 16 2/3 Hz was a pretty popular German standard in the early days of trams.