Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, we should just take the car company's word for it. A reputable car company like Volkswagen would never fib.

Edit: Anyway, why don't they just put up highway sign structures like this:

...except make them parallel to the highway, stretching down the highway with no gaps, and put solar panels along the top? Put the panels on swivels so they could track the sun. Probably a billion times cheaper than embedding them in the road, right? I'll take my Nobel Prize now.

Heck, on the bike path use solar panels as overhead shade. As a cyclist, I'd appreciate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If distributed generation is a priority, it seems like it would be easier to bury a small self-contained nuclear reactor every few thousand people or so. Put in enough fuel for 30? 50? years and replace it when that runs out - no pollution (directly from the generation), no maintenance.

I'd love to see that but currently, SDG&E is trying to bury a huge amount of high-level waste from the San Onofre nuclear plant (that they broke) onto a beach in containers that might last 40 years.

So I just don't trust the industry.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

A covered bike path is hardly a difficult engineering feat.

Bridges too:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

Putting fuel in intermediate storage isn't really a serious issue though. Spent fuel barrels aren't exactly going to spontaneously crack open even if they're attended to by idiots.

There was an incident in the last few weeks when that almost happened:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-san-onofre-plant-20180812-story.html

The contractor, Holtec International, was cited for the incident that occurred earlier this month when a canister got caught on an inner ring as it was being lowered into a Cavity Enclosure Container at a newly constructed “dry storage” facility on the site of the plant that is in the process of being decommissioned, Edison said in a statement last week. The transfers have been placed on hold.

David Fritch said on Aug. 3 one of the canisters being lowered into the cavity enclosure “could have fallen 18 feet.”

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

Well, nucular waste barrels are designed to survive a full on trainwreck so I doubt this was a serious safety issue by itself. It’s just that “lol we just drop the things who gives a poo poo” is generally an unacceptable standard of workmanship at a nuclear site.

0.625" Stainless with less than a 40 year life, not the permanent stuff.

San Onofre storage canisters may start leaking radiation into the environment as early as 2020, possibly sooner.

The NRC reported a similar container at the Koeberg nuclear plant in South Africa failed after 17 years from chloride-induced stress corrosion cracking (CISCC), triggered by corrosive salt in the marine environment.

Koeberg is located in a similar corrosive marine environment as San Onofre: on-shore winds, surf and frequent fog. The Koeberg container crack depth was 0.61″. The San Onofre canisters are 0.625″ thick. The canisters at other California locations are even thinner (0.50″). There are over 2000 loaded canisters in the U.S. Most are 1/2″ (0.50″).

San Onofre started loading canisters with spent fuel in 2003. If San Onofre canisters have experience similar to Koeberg, that means a canister at San Onofre would start releasing radiation into the environment as early as 2020.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

qkkl posted:

The misconception here is that nuclear waste leaking into the environment is some kind of doomsday event. It isn't. Most likely if a barrel leaks the nuclear waste will just collect around the barrel and no one gets hurt. In the less likely chance that the waste leaches into groundwater the cancer rates in the local population go up by a few percentage points for a few decades. In the absolute worst-case scenario that is essentially impossible to happen accidentally and some fresh nuclear waste is dumped directly into the water supply then yes, several tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands may die from radiation poisoning after they drink the highly radioactive tap water.

There are better designs with longer predicted lifetimes than 40 years.

Also, I don't live too far from this, so it's not just theory for me.

P.S. Love my rate increases due to this "Too Cheap To Meter" screwup.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

karthun posted:

Here is an imgur link

We use about 2800 kwh a year. 220kwh in Sept.

When I replace the 40mpg 2000 Toy-Auto with an EV, I'm sure that will go up.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I got an EV in 2014 (used 2013 electric smart car convertible on eBay for $9000) and I don't think any other purchase has saved me so much money. There's a free charger a block from my house so in the almost 5 years I've had it I've paid for windshield wiper fluid and that's absolutely it. According to that chart I'm in one of the most eco-friendly areas to use it (local power is mostly natural-gas and renewables). But I don't drive it for self-validation as much as it enables me to be even more of a massive cheapskate. Every other car I've had has been an accursed money pit, and unlike the rest of them I can jump into this in the morning when it's -10 Fahrenheit out, hit the ignition and know the wheels are going to turn, I don't have to pray to God the engine will start. I can sit in stop and go traffic in complete silence and drop the top in the summer.

I can't wait until Tesla Model 3's have been out for a few more years and the average Joe can start picking them up used. People can't realize how many intangible perks there are to EVs until they've spent some time with one, and I think the Model 3 will be turning point for word of mouth and affordability. That is if Moron Musk can stop committing Twittercide for 5 loving seconds.

There's a free-charger at the coffee shop near where I live as well as metered ones at the Amtrak station. I've got 257k miles on the Toy-Auto so eventually, it will need to be replaced. EV makes sense.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

It's extremely easy to overeat while still eating vegetables. Just look at the entire western world, they're all getting fat.

Yes, but it is extremely difficult to overeat while ONLY eating vegetables.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hydrogen fusion will free us from this tyranny

20 years from practical since 1979

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I think a lot of people are just sick of "well in 20 years we'll totally have cheap practical fusion" used as an excuse to not invest in other things or worry about future energy usage.

This. And the perfect analogy is how the automobile industry used the promise of fuel-cell cars to kill California's electric car push in the 1990's.

Oh yes, we have some fuel cell cars now. Just do the math on the efficiency of the entire cycle.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Smiling Demon posted:

Has there been any real development with batteries? Last time I looked into things pumped hydro storage, a technology more than a century old, was significantly better than any battery.

In the automotive space, VW and others have a large investment in solid-state battery solutions (slated for cars in 2025), rechargeable zinc-air batteries may become a real thing, prices for LiOn are approaching $100/kw-h capacity years ahead of schedule.

In the backup area, 'flow' batteries are becoming a thing.

Oh and Elon's big powerwall in Australia appears to be working out nicely.

https://electrek.co/2018/05/11/tesla-giant-battery-australia-reduced-grid-service-cost/

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

fishmech posted:

You just keep being massively ignorant. Model 3s don't function, their interior design is worse than a Yugo that's been robbed, and the bumpers fall off when it rains. What we were talking about is the Bolt, and GM's sold inifinitely more functional Bolts than there are Model 3s ordered (and remember, vast amounts of the orders aren't being filled because Herr Elon decreed that the $35k model is going to be on hold indefinitely).

You can't even drive with iPad, unless you love being rammed into roadside obstructions at high speed. "Autopilot" is a recipe for death, while the Chevy Bolt will actually carry you to where you're trying to go.

Maybe so, but I suspect most of the Model 3's are here (So. Cal). The numbers I see on the roads (I commute in Studio City by bicycle) is impressive as heck. They all just SHOWED UP.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I don't this accounts for storage:

Carbon emissions and costs associated with subsidizing New York nuclear instead of replacing it with renewables

Highlights

• A comparison of costs and CO2 emissions of New York's nuclear power and with renewable scenarios until 2050 is provided.

• Shutting nuclear down today and replacing it with onshore wind will save $7.9 billion until 2050.

• Renewable scenarios lead to CO2 savings up to 27.4 Mt until 2050.

• Reinvesting cost savings from renewable scenarios into additional wind capacities will increase CO2 savings up to 32.5 Mt.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959652618326829

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

bawfuls posted:

what if.... we built all that wind power and shut down coal plants instead of nuclear plants??

I got into an argument with a German national on just that point. Why shut down functioning nuke plants while you're still burning coal.

His response: Jobs. Claimed a lot of workers in the German coal industry.

Hmm... have I heard this somewhere else?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Rime posted:

Trust me when I say that this is so far from on the ground reality that it may as well be CGI.

I have a friend who worked on the construction of the San Onofre Nuclear Generators.

Huge mistakes (like installing one of the reactors backward), lots of hazards that were not reported included an issue with the site that involved having to pump a poo poo-ton of concrete under stuff because of where it was built.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

What's more, an aircraft reduces its weight as it consumes the fuel. Batteries don't get lighter.

Still, battery aircraft already make sense as General Aviation Trainers (far lower fuel and TCO), and may eventually make sense for General Aviation in general.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

You can try floating that in the Aeronautical Insanity thread, but don't be surprised if it goes down a little spicy

We'll see how this plays out in the next decade, but there are battery based trainers now being offered.

The schools hold on to aircraft for a long time, so this won't be like autos. Will take far longer.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Whats the range, useful load and charge time?

Let me get the specs on the one I have seen:

Pipistrel Alpha Electro 2-seat electric trainer:

Payload: 200 kg
Endurance: Up to 60 min (+ reserve).
Take off over 50' obstacle MTOW: 885 feet (270 m)

The 17 kWh battery pack is dual-redundant and designed to be either quickly replaceable within minutes (swappable) or charged in less than one hour.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

bawfuls posted:

This molten salt thermal storage company just got a $26M first round and their concept looks interesting. It started at Stanford and then got into Google's incubator.

Paper on the tech here, with numbers: https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.4994054

Looks like the two turbines shown in this cartoon are in reality the same single turbine:

They use a brayton cycle turbine to drive a temperature difference between molten salt and some kind of antifreeze (n-hexane in the paper) cold reservoir, then run it the other way to generate power. Their cold reservoir is 180K and their hot is 823K.

For the temperatures they're targeting, they end up with a maximum theoretical roundtrip efficiency of 75% (that's electric->thermal->electric) which is very impressive IMO.

Better than electrolysis/fuel cells.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

PG&E (LA Utility) is going BK: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-14/who-could-get-hurt-by-pg-e-s-fire-driven-bankruptcy-quicktake

Mainly because of the fire lawsuits (estimated costs could hit $30 billion) but I'm sure dealing with SONGS (nuke plant they broke) doesn't help.

I have SDG&E and my rates (14¢/kwh ... and that's a discount) suck partly because of SONGS. But I don't use much electricity anyway. Only 288 kWh for the month.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

SDG&E and SONGS is a different utility than PG&E. PG&E is shutting down Diablo Canyon (a different nuke) because it isn't worth the money to upgrade to meet incoming one-through cooling standards. At this point PG&E biggest asset is probably their downtown SF HQ building.

Also PG&E occasionally blows up neighborhoods on the gas utility side, lest you think their issues are only with the E.

You are right ... it's owned by Southern California Edison (78.2%) and San Diego Gas & Electric (20%).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

What's the thinking on Molten Salt Nuclear Reactors (and Stable Salt Reactors)?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Rime posted:

Got to gently caress around inside of, and manually restart, a 122 year old Westinghouse Pelton Wheel AC Generator last night.

loving. Awesome. :woop:

The quality of engineering and machining on this thing was un-loving-believably beautiful, and it shows off. The slip rings on this are 100% original (everything is, it's never had a part replaced), whereas the slip rings in modern wind turbines regularly fail in about five years.

A fully functional work of industrial art.

My father ran an 8 story Manhattan parking garage that was built pre-automotive. The elevator motors were installed some time prior to 1920 and were still going strong in the 1970's (the elevators were 100% manual, cable and counterweight design).

Incredible design and quality.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

AlexanderCA posted:

I'm not a very experienced mechanical engineer. But in my jobs so far I've never encountered planned obsolescence.

Nissan CVT

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I’d say major appliances are worse, most automobiles are better and electronics are way better.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Harik posted:

Me. Repeatedly, at $25/pop and they lasted 18 months on the outside. The LED was fine, the 110AC circuit was always what crapped out. Eventually they got better and one day I replaced the last early one and haven't touched any of them since. Call it an early adopter tax. Now I'm just shaking my cane that the world settled on piss-yellow imitations of incandescent as "white" and buying anything less ugly is specialty.

You can still find poo poo made to last, but it's in places where 50+ year lifespan is expected. Big-ship engines are one of them, when well maintained they last forever because the cost of replacing them is scrapping the entire multi-hundred million dollar freighter.

Good furniture from craftsmen now is as good or better than what you could buy 100 years ago. There may have been a decline for a few decades as the idea of mass-produced goods was pushed hard, but pride in something well done has had quite a renaissance lately. It's just not available at walmart.

Crafted Steel Bicycles.

I see people cycling on the same Peugeots, Fujis etc. that I was assembling at a bike shop when I was in High School, in the early 1970's.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The Dipshit posted:

Man, I want a steel bike for a commuter.

There's several builders out there. My folder (Brompton) is steel as is my recumbent (Bacchetta Giro 26).

The best way to get vintage stuff is at garage and estate sales. Lots of bikes that haven't been ridden in decades.

I use the LA subway system and I see classic steel bikes on almost every trip.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't the steel stuff incredibly heavy and thus rather energy-inefficient for the human powering it?

So a fine steel bike weighs in at 18lbs. A carbon-fiber bike can be 14lbs (if you spend a few $1k). A 'common' steel bike (something that sold for $200 in 1975) may weigh in at 24lbs.

Does it matter? Maybe if you're a 150lbs Cat-1 racer. Less if you're a 62 year old 235lbs bike commuter :-)

Oh, and steel is recyclable. And IMHO feels better.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

bawfuls posted:

ok but what about aluminum? Surely that’s the relevant comparison no?

Nothing wrong with it. I'm just too big for the weight limits on the aluminum folders.

But the classic steel bikes do have a nice feel.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Why?

(Don't say HMS Sheffield. Don't say HMS Sheffield. Don't say HMS Sheffield.)

Without electrical isolation between the steel and aluminum, the aluminum hull acts as an anode to the stainless steel, resulting in aggressive galvanic corrosion.

... and the HMS Sheffield.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

It is for the reason that the stresses on frame in a bike design prevent you from taking real advantage of aluminum strength to reduce weight, yes?

The lack of a fatigue limit (in AL) for one. Typically AL frames use larger diameter tubing to account for the lower tensile strength. This works well, but you also end up with a stiffer frame ... and some prefer the springiness of a steel bike.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Platystemon posted:

If you’re stressing the thing real hard, they will both fatigue.

If you’re not stressing them hard, aluminum is probably not going to reach its breaking point.

Yeah there are exceptions for things that cycle frequently and do so over long periods of time, but I’m sceptical they apply to the typical bicycle.

quote:

By continually applying loads to a material, in many cases loads way below the yield limit, you stress it and cause fatigue on it. ... So yes, aluminum can fail due to fatigue and continued stress cycles, but there is no fatigue limit as you can see on steel.

Note: I have broken (steel in fact) bike frames, most notably a Bob Jackson on a training ride when I was on the cycling team in college. Separated the downtube from the bottom bracket.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 14, 2019

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Platystemon posted:

A million cycles is a lot. If the frame is being stress cycled every second in an eight hour workday, it takes a month to hit a million cycles.

I’d be concerned about that if I were a serious mountain biker, but I don’t think road bike manufacturers are heavily overbuilding aluminum‐framed bikes for fear of fatigue.

I got into cycling as a sport because at 14 I broke a Raliegh bike's frame and my mom managed to get the shop to replace that with a Peugeot PX10e in 1972. Sweet bike.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

No nukes should be shut down until all coal and gas plants are.

That being said, the economics appear to be better for wind/solar/storage and the timeframe to add capacity is superior.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Pander posted:

The theory should be to add wind and solar and storage wherever it works to add it. Where it is infeasible to add it, due to land scarcity, population density, or poor wind/insolation resources, construct nuclear plants.

Then we need to focus on a standardized design that can get built and turned on in a rapid fashion. Right now it takes too long.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

The way to avoid Fukishimas is to not build nuclear reactors where they'll get smashed by tidal waves, or if you do at least make sure the diesel backups are high enough off the ground to not get swamped. The way to avoid Chernobyls is to not build pre-refit RBMK reactors. Both of these are incredibly easy and not at all hard to do.

Also, climate change isn't gonna make earthquakes and tidal waves happen more often lol

Might not be a bad idea to relocate the waste from San Onofre away from the ocean.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Eating meat more than once a week (and eating red meat at all), eating fruit that's out of season/doesn't grow within a reasonable range of where I live, having the AC so low/the heat so high, traveling so far for work and pleasure, having two-day shipping, all sorts of poo poo. In the hypothetical eco-communist future I'm gonna have to live more communally and not eat cheeseburgers anymore, I fully accept that.

Before you ask, no I'm not giving up cheeseburgers right now because they're one of the few enjoyable things left in my current life and I don't particularly feel like giving up minor luxuries while Jeff Bezos, the Koch Brothers, and the things they're responsible for emit more carbon in seventeen microseconds than I would ever save across my entire life by living like a monk. If we got rid of that half of the equation though, yeah poo poo I'd give up the cheeseburgers.

I gave that stuff up decades ago for health reasons. Your mileage may vary.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

I mean truth be told we may already be done for. I'm not as blackpilled as the median cspam climate change thread poster about it, but they're not entirely without reason.

Even the IPCC draws the line like this:

I understand this completely.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

this is the most explicit and plausible anyone has ever been: https://berniesanders.com/issues/the-green-new-deal/

for the click adverse, the baby tl;dr version

I do agree with that, I just think the global CO2 emissions plot I referenced is a fantasy. India and China will move into the middle class and besides, we have multiple feedback loops in full effect.