Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
There are a few issues missed in the OP. One is energy distribution - both the US and Australia have issues with population densities. It's easy to provide services for 90% of the population who are relatively clustered, but what about the other 10% spread across 90% of the country? Ironically, the ultra-rural parts of the US I'm familiar with have been moving towards renewable energy because the high cost of oil has made the payoff for renewable energy sources like wind turbines much quicker. I'm not sure if it's the same for remote parts of Australia.

FYI - I really liked pumped hydro as a solution to irregular energy output from renewable sources like solar and wind. http://www.fhc.co.uk/dinorwig.htm "Self-filling" hydro is a an ingenious solution to the problem of cloudy and windless days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU