Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I mean, you can always just put your industry in a corner of the map so it's not simulated.

Hmm.

I may have fallen for the very same trap in Sim City as Humanity did.

This is funny. drat. That's almost better than "fever" climate change analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

If only fossil fuel companies were investing billions in green energy, oh wait they are. At least the UC pension fund can always be funded by increasing tuition.

The only green thing I've seen in announcement they're investing into lubricants and cooling/heating liquids used by everything from wind turbines to electric vehicles. Which is undoubtedly a good thing and better than burning it off into the atmosphere but if that's all they did that's a completely different company.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Curiou

Mr Interweb posted:

"The cost of generating solar power ranges from $36 to $44 per megawatt hour (MWh), the WNISR said, while onshore wind power comes in at $29–$56 per MWh. Nuclear energy costs between $112 and $189."

holy poo poo

well, sucks for nucular, but that seems like good news for solar and wind at least, right?

Any idea how much it’s for natural gas and coal?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is air travel just completely worthless in a carbon neutral world? Even biofuels still emit carbon.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Am I following that correctly? Instead of filling a plane with jet fuel you'd simply pour in liquid ammonia?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Aren't there many things we could turn off - theoretically that would save tons of power? Do we really need the Whole Foods sign bright green at 3AM even when the store is closed?

I'd be curious how how a policy like that would scale across the United States. Miami has a interesting thing where all the street lights are off during turtle mating season. Why have them on at all outside of say weekends?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

It would be a drop in the bucket in terms of energy savings, but drops do add up. In europe where energy costs are higher they're much more paranoid about wasting power so you have fun stuff like motion sensor lights in bathrooms with 10 second timers leaving you in the pitch black if you're in a toilet stall because those LED bulb pennies add up.

I've noticed in some parts of the Midwest and Texas for typical white collar office complexs Air Conditioning turns off at 7PM until 7AM the next day. It's off all through out the weekend.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

fishmech posted:

We already picked all the low-hanging-fruit of energy savings over the past 40 years.

I'm surprised every time I go into the mall of corporate headquarters lobby it's a freezing 66-68 degrees. I sort of wish we'd just acclimate ourselves to 72f or even 74f and that's how they do it in other countries.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Are there any upcoming revolution with energy storage or are just stuck with giant lithium batteries?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Are there any examples of hydroelectric power that aren’t environmental disasters?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I mean, if we use fossil fuels under our “carbon budget” and don’t go over... sure?

Replacing coal with natural gas is a good if not great thing assuming we then replace natural gas with a renewable in less than a decade but that is all theory and not reality.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

My local utility is repowering its gas plant but also added a Tesla (unfortunately) battery storage system.

Why is this bad?

MomJeans420 posted:

*edit*
Re: fossil fuel use in the future, even the most moon shot scenario for the world that is at least somewhat realistic still sees more fossil fuel use than you'd expect, despite taking CO2 emissions down to 1975 levels. You don't need to worry about that though, because that's not going to happen.
(from BP's Energy Outlook 2019)

I'm a little lost here - are you just explaining that even in an ideal scenario that there will still be significant use of fossil fuels?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

Battery storage isn't bad, but I would have preferred not going with a sketchy company who may or may not be around for warranty issues 5 or 10 years down the line.

Re: ideal scenario, I was responding to your statement of having to replace natural gas within a decade. That chart is looking at worldwide energy usage, so while having any significant coal usage is not "ideal," that energy mix is incredibly optimistic and quite frankly not going to happen. The ideal mix would be incredibly cheap and safe storage with a minimal footprint, plus renewable to fill that storage. Barring some amazing breakthrough, that's not going to happen worldwide in the next few decades. Assuming you have a finite amount of money/resources to lower global CO2 emissions, subsidizing cheap LNG to India would probably be better than the money we'll spend to go from 50% renewable to 100% renewable (assuming places like California get there within their mandated time, which I'd bet they won't). However, that's not PC, hence people like Warren wanting to ban fracking despite the fact cheap LNG is the responsible for more of the US' decline in CO2 emissions than any other technology (coal to gas).

How is that projection optimistic? I'm surprised that we're still using coal in the next few decades...

That's interesting how LNG is reducing our carbon foot print and I've read how most (if not all?) of it is from fracking in the Permian Basin. I some ways I don't have an issue with this given that no one really lives their and it's just a desert. It's freaking crazy that in a way fossil fuel companies are now kind of the good guys?

I suspect any banning of fracking would just really ban it from areas where there's sizable population along with way more regulations especially methane leaks. Fracking in Colorado and some of the East Coast States has been an absolute disaster. Energy companies should foot the bill and relocate anyone near a fracking site.

If fracking was entirely done away with - I think that would just make demand for coal increase? Along with additional oil imports from the Middle East.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 28, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Blorange posted:

Batteries used for cars have an estimated 10 year lifespan because that's when the battery capacity is estimated to drop under 80%. While that's a deal breaker for an electric vehicle, 80% capacity is still quite functional for grid backups. We'll be seeing a lot of these storage facilities running on old vehicle batteries as we get more electric cars on the road.

How are the older Nissan Leaf's holding up?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Blorange posted:

This project is making use of Leaf batteries: https://www.tdworld.com/electrification/power-reusing-electric-vehicle-batteries

It's an emerging field, but there are enough old batteries lying around now that building battery banks out of used cells is becoming commercially viable.

I was more so curious about the vehicles themselves than anything else but that's a positive use case.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Smiling Demon posted:

You can not take can not take different usage profiles (vehicles, grid storage) and assume similar lifetimes. That dataset is a self-reported survey of what the cars estimated range at 100% charge is.

All of this is irrelevant of course as even if these batteries worked exceptionally, they still would not form a feasible solution to the problem at hand.

Why can’t we take different usage profiles? Is that sample size insignificant?

Anyhow, your original argument was these batteries wouldn’t last longer than 3-5 years - this data proves that completely false.

And the problem is global warming due to fossil fuel emissions into the atmosphere. The use of an EV overwhelmingly reduces that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

fishmech posted:

You don't get why people hate the company who puts out lovely cars with known-defective battery packs?

I have yet to be persuaded that Telsa is on say the same footing as Enron.

Is their CEO just a loud playboy? Are there significant financial issues with company? Problems with quality? Yes but even if they went bankrupt auto manufactures would be immediately be swarming over that corpse like vultures. There is certainly value - the degree of that may be up to discussion - but claiming that it's all worthless strikes me as completely wrong.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Smiling Demon posted:

:words:

This is a goalpost shift. We were discussing energy generation, hence the title of thread. EV use is good, though public transportation is still better.

From earlier you stated...

Smiling Demon posted:

I think you are being absurdly optimistic in your projections here. 10 years was a very very high estimate, I doubt you'll being seeing much beyond the 3-5 range, particularly for Tesla. I really can't see storage facilities running on used car batteries given that such facilities would be hopelessly impractical with brand new batteries. Adding in parts of variable utility (and safety) is not going to make things better.

You earlier claim does not hold up to scrutiny nor have you presented any data that shows otherwise but the data we do have show they last a hell of lot longer than 3-5 years. We're not looking at different use profiles in this context but they don't work in cars beyond a few years.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Smiling Demon posted:

I have not said anything about the batteries use in cars, nor do I care to discuss this topic. The context you keep dragging things to, I just don't care about. If you interpreted the context otherwise, apologies if I wasn't clear, but your interpretation was never intended.

You directly responded to a claim that car batteries only last ten years and followed up that they only lasted 3-5. I'm not dragging you into anything, you were already there.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fly Molo posted:

Example: their poo poo machinery kept puncturing their batteries. Which are tiny vape batteries hooked up in banks of hundreds or thousands, and cooled very poorly. The whole pack can catch fire if a few lovely batteries catch on fire, since Tesla’s battery safety tech is atrocious, and far below industry standards.

They then superglued those batteries back together and stuck them into production cars. A whistleblower tried to blow the whistle, and got fired and SWAT’d by Tesla for his trouble.

To stop a similar situation from happening again, Tesla turned off all tracking of what parts go into which cars. If there’s a recall, they no longer keep any records of what parts are in what cars. So yes, safety is not their first, second, or third priority, and literally killing people because of their incompetence is common practice.

They also don’t check the brakes on their production cars before selling them. Y’know, to save money. They’re not Enron, they’re much, much worse.

You're going to have to show me credible sources here...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

silence_kit posted:

I say the following not as a Tesla fan--I have no interest in buying a Tesla. It doesn't make sense to me to be an early adopter for new car technology. Cars are expensive to me and I rely heavily on a personal automobile to get around.

There are a lot of posters on this message board who are ideologically committed to being anti-Tesla as a reaction to the Tesla CEO being a huckster and there being a contingent of obsessed delusional Tesla fans. Because they are 100% ideologically committed to being anti-Tesla, they reflexively believe that the company has zero value.

There is a lot of truth to what the 'Tesla reactionaries' are posting (e.g. Tesla is not as good at assembling cars as Toyota, they aren't doing a very good job of supporting their products after sale by not providing very timely repair service and support, and the way they market the cars' driver assistance features is dishonest and dangerous) but it is pretty clear that the 'Tesla reactionaries' are grasping at anything they can to whine and complain about the company. It is pretty funny to me to see how they continually adjust their 'automobile figure of merit' so that Tesla is last place.

That explains quite a bit.

I've also seen this just strange aversion to nearly any kind of wealth by namely rather leftist groups? I get that Telsa or cars just in general aren't good for environment but at the same time that doesn't discount the enjoyment or lifestyle that has been enable through the creation of the automobile.

Maybe some people just buy cars because it's cool but on the flip side people also buy cars because they have places to go and why not do it something nice?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

fishmech posted:

Cool nobody said it was Enron except you though.

What exactly do you think auto manufacturers would be "swarming" over in 2019? And who said it's "worthless" in the first place behind you? The truth is they suck hard, which isn't the same as being Enron or being worthless. They're 100% not a safe source of batteries.

No one else did say that but that's my general take on frequent claims the company is bad for X, Y and Z reason.

fishmech posted:

What exactly do you think auto manufacturers would be "swarming" over in 2019?

Everything. From employees, real estate, operations, facilities, etc.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Fly Molo posted:

Do your own research, idiot.

:lol:

This was my first Google result

Here's What's Really Going On With Tesla Nixing a 'Critical' Model 3 Brake Test

That entirely debunks the earlier argument that they just don't test breaks. It's much more complicated than a simple yes they do test breaks or no they don't.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Tesla's are too expensive for what they are, and they are not going to replace ICE cars that way. And Elon is too busy dumping on Public Transit to promote his own projects which are basically doomed to fail from the get go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs

He's also promoting untested technology like his autopilot system for use on public roads and its quite literally killing people.

I'll watch the video later but it strikes me as odd to attack the autopilot system when people already from car accidents all the time in the first place.

Personally, I'm all for massive public transportation with bikes secondary but that isn't reality.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How far back in those threads do I have to go to see the musk madness?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

The older Model S cars couldn't do a full track lap without throttling / limp mode, so I don't think the cooling was adequate for that purpose. That may have changed now.

You need to do research on fracking, and watching Gasland doesn't count. However, similar to trying to have an honest discussion on Tesla issues, it's almost impossible to discuss because anti-fracking people are like the anti-vaxxers, except they don't live in West LA and purchase Goop products. Name one way fracking in Colorado has been a disaster, it's a heavily regulated state and there are extensive studies involving all oil and gas operations there, not just fracking. But then you have people like AOC who post a pic of a drill rig, call it a fracking site (which it wasn't), then use a FLIR camera to show "emissions" when it's really just the heat from the drilling mud. Most issues from oil and gas operations tend to be things that affect any oil and gas production, like a parted well casing (the pipe and cement that keep the fluids from your oil reservoir from entering the freshwater reservoir), but since understanding oil and gas production requires at least a basic knowledge of geology and the ability to understand a technical subject, it's easy to convince the majority of the population that fracking is scary/bad.

But you are right that if fracking was banned, we'd be burning a lot more coal. It's just not CO2 emissions that are bad, especially if you live near a coal power plant. But for doing away with LNG in the next decade, as discussed in this thread, what are you going to replace it with? Someone posted a really good summary of the various energy storage methods a page or two back, and others have talked about needing to overbuild substantially if you went 100% renewable and actually had an economical storage method, which in general you don't. It is interesting though because it's not a one size fits all issue, what works in California may not work in the midwest, which may not work on the east coast. I live in California, which has incredibly aggressive renewable energy goals, but it's one thing to pass a law saying 60% of your energy must be renewable by 2030, and another thing to actually make that happen. We have coastal gas plants that are supposed to close by 2020, but even that won't happen because it's just not feasible at the moment. Unless you consider rolling brownouts viable, but no power when it's really hot actually kills more people than you'd expect.

Gasland was a great documentary but still a documentary. What would you recommend for reading up on fracking?

I've done a bit of light reading and I do see how in "theory" it can be safe but the issues from it that I see are the injection of wastewater back into the ground. The operator misses and puts it all into the water table. I can't recall if the flammable tap water was in Colorado - I think it was in Pennsylvania? - but that certainly seems to be massive disaster directly caused by fracking.

That's an interesting predicament we might be putting ourselves into with banning fracking. I guess society would just have to start turning stuff off and do without? To be honest, I wouldn't be opposed to that entirely but good luck getting a leader elected into office that would do just that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Nobody will accept rolling blackouts as a valid solution.

I'm fine with some fracking, but it needs to be even more regulated than it is currently. Natural gas is going to be better than coal period.

What we can't be doing is eliminating solutions that are better than coal until the coal is gone.

I'm not saying blackouts. I'm arguing that we simply turn stuff off entirely.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Who is “we” and what is “stuff”? The only practical way to do this is for the power companies to shut off neighborhoods entirely through rolling blackouts.

We is society and stuff is whatever uses electricity. I am not saying a "blackout" simply there is on longer power. At all.

I am of course, speaking hypothetically but I'm curious what we would be able to power if we immediately mandated everything had to be powered by a renewable sources. I imagine it's not much at all.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

No, its not. And your arguing that the Oil and Gas firms, the same ones openly caught lying about Climate Change, are somehow noble in this endeavor?

It's a matter of simple physics that burning natural gas results in less carbon emissions than coal. Reducing emissions is inevitably a good thing. It may not be the end all be all solution but it is something.

I do find the predicament of methane emissions due to fracking an issue but I would need to see that there's so much of it that it's net worse than burning coal.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Its a matter of simple physics that its also a massive greenhouse gas that is leaking in the documented radar images above, making the argument that it is 'cleaner' a really poor one. The gas seen above is not being burned, and yet its still making as much an impact on climate change as coal.

What are you hoping to prove here? Fossil Fuels are the problem. Period. Petroleum, Natural Gas, its all got to go. It would've been great 30 years ago if Natural Gas had replaced coal, but its too little too late, and now we have to find a way to stop. Now. Cold Turkey. There's no "Well, down the road maybe." No. Now.

Natural Gas, and the Energy Companies behind it, are clining to this poo poo as savior from renewables, the same companies who OPENLY fought against Climate Science and AGW Theories.

There's nothing from your images that I'm able to gather that proves natural gas including methane leaks are worse than coal.

And, I'm not trying to prove anything. I am merely commenting on the reality of the situation that society demands electricity and using sources that emit less carbon is a good thing. I don't see how climate denial sponsored by fossil fuel companies is relevant - we already know this is true.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Its relevant because they own those gas wells? They own the pipelines. They own the infrastructure, and they are the ones lobbying against environmental regs that would help control those leaks because they don't want to pay to fix them. Yet, we're supposed to assume these guys will be better than coal?

Yes, they kind of are?

Trump’s Methane Rule Rollback Divides Oil and Gas Industry

tl;dr - Some Fossil Fuel firms think rolling back methane regulations are a bad idea. They aren't.

CommieGIR posted:

The reality is: If we don't fix this Now. Within 10 years. We're in deep poo poo. We're already in deep poo poo environmentally, but you are just worried about keeping the lights on rather than the larger issue at hand.

This is why this entire thread promotes nuclear energy and renewables.

You are preaching to the choir my friend.

Climate Change is an extensional threat to our ecosystem and humanity itself but yet society is still demanding electricity. The renewable alternatives either aren't enough or don't exist - yet. The political will to reshape society into our carbon neutral society doesn't exist either.

Until there's an alternative, I'll pick the least bad one. I don't see how this is complicated at all. We have be pragmatic or we'll accomplish nothing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

You aren't following my points or the original argument from MomJeans420. The world demands electricity and that demand is growing. You have an alternative that emits less carbon than the other - which one do you choose?

The issue of methane emissions or the credibly of the Fossil Fuel Industry are two entirely separate discussions on their own.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Uh oh, you are asking for it now. Please prepare for the oncoming posts by turning your Bible to the Book of Nuke, Chapter 12, Verse 2.

:lol:

I'm all up for a lively discussion, it's cold, rainy and yet and miserable outside. As far as my knowledge is on Nuclear it can be done safely and it's just piece one of the puzzle - India and China are still building a few along with other sources.

My only concern is that after the Westinghouse filling for bankruptcy that was a near mortal blow to any new plant construction in the United States.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

Gasland is a fictional movie with some truths and half-truths, not a documentary.

:words:

drat, that's freaking informative reply. I didn't watch second movie but did the creator ever mention any of his mistakes?

And how do you respond to the argument raised earlier that methane leaks make natural gas net worse than coal?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah.

Anyone advocating for a reduction in quality of life is basically arguing to crush the poor.

If you look at the some of the arguments proposed by Deep Adaption advocates - they want us to drop everything we're doing right now and have the entire world focus on climate change. All remaining renewable power would be used and built for primarily carbon capture. Anything extra would be used to run the government or emergency services. Anything that emits carbon be would shut off, banned or confiscated.

Essentially, it'd be the cubafication of the world. We would be merely left with what we have at this moment, have to make do or find another carbon neutral way.

In a way, I sort of wish would we do exactly this but of course that's not reality.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 1, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Lmao getting rid of natual gas isnt going to bring down global civilization.

Now, get rid of diesel and gas, thatll happen.

Where do you think hospitals get their electricity from? Emergency services? Cell towers? The data centers that run all the underlying infrastructure?

Renewables don’t meet the demands of the above.

As for other posts I’m super busy at work at the moment, I’ll respond to those later.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 1, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That whole “Perfect is the enemy of good.” quote applies so well to our current circumstances.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

The whole "Subsidizing the loving oil industry is why we're in the god damned mess" keeps missing your ears, apparently. And apparently you also missed the part where he pulled a whataboutism and claimed China will do nothing to cut their carbon output, which I can only assume means we shouldn't waste our efforts?

No, emitting greenhouses gases is what got us into this mess.

You’ve been continuously asked the question, which is has been asked by myself and others - what are we going to replace fossil fuels with given the demand isn’t met by renewables?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Hi, my name is methane. I am currently leaking into the Atmosphere as we type this. Guess what I'm 4 time more potent than? CO2. I'm a greenhouse gas and there are active pushes in the Government right now to remove regulations on methane emissions, including kneecapping the EPA's ability to set said emissions.

Are we done here?

Nuclear. That's it. That's the only reasonable option. And its the option this thread has WELL ESTABLISHED already. You guys are new to this argument, there's nothing to add by raising your hand and go "Well, what if I blew your minds and suggesting a fossil fuel again?"

Take it and walk.

It has been discussed that Coal is still worse then Natural Gas. If you want to dispute that - okay fine - but another poster gave an excellent source showing that is the case. If you disagree with that I’m happy to see those arguments.

I’m already well aware methane is worse than carbon dioxide or that the fossil fuel industry has participated in climate denial. Meeting energy demand and those topics are entirely separate discussions.

2. Nuclear Power still doesn’t meet the needs of today’s energy demand. Neither does the current output of renewables with Nuclear even come close. What are we suppose to do?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

You're supposed to remove every energy consuming source you can that you don't deem critical infrastructure. Hope that helps clear things up for you.

Personally, I’m kind of interested in this idea but I wonder exactly how deep we’d have to cut.