Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Sylink posted:

Is it likely that we'll ever get cheap near disposable PV tiles to slap on everything and everywhere? I'd imagine if you could buy PV like paper it would provide tons of energy to just about everything when combined with dense battery tech.

The problem is the battery. Renewables would be a lot more viable if we could just store the energy in a practical and economical way. It doesn't matter if wind mills become 50% cheaper or solar panels 100% more efficient - as long as we don't have The Battery their use will not go beyond supplemental generation.

This guy might be on to something but who knows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfTAaeQfCts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Can you have a nuclear power program that enables you to build power plants but not nuclear weapons?

I mean it's pretty problematic for countries like the US to openly state that nuclear power is the best and most cost effective way of supplying power if it then denies it to a bunch of poor countries because we don't want nukes in unstable areas. We do it with Iran but we don't really want nukes where there could potentially be a civil war or a neighboring country might invade either. If the US transitions to nuclear power it sends a message and it needs a plan for how you deal with it on a global scale.

I'm not saying the US should deny other countries using it. I'm saying that is what the US government will do and that it probably won't be a tenable position.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A century ago, a gas turbine was likely a finicky and dirty machine that was barely more than a proof of concept. There are some very fundamental limitations to solar power, but you just pointed out a relatively simple engineering hurdle that will be ironed out (along with many others) in due course.

I think there's generally a bit odd perspective on green technologies - often it seems like an attempt to pursue the second worst option. Like growing food ecologically with the trade off that we'll need more land and water to do it. It may or may not be better than spraying pesticides all over the place but farmland isn't good for ecosystems or the climate and it's not "natural" in any way. When I look at my country it's forrests as far you could see cut down and turned into farmland. Growing food ecologically might be a bit less bad - but still pretty bad. We shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking we're doing the planet any favors because we are still the problem.

If these land intensive technologies in food and energy production is the future and we're eventually going to be 11 billion people this whole planet is going to be just one giant production facility for humanity - cities, industrial farmland and now mirrors and PV. The goal should be to use as little land as we can and turn back what we have taken to its natural state. If we don't get the technologies to make our food and energy in small foot print facilities there's not going to be anything natural anywhere near human habitats.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Paper Mac posted:

I'm not talking about running pumps, I'm talking about building skyscraper greenhouses and importing all your nutrients (where do they come from? they're either mined/synthetic or you're stripping soil somewhere). It requires a pretty massive buildout of infrastructure and you're either burning oil to provide nutrients or you're depleting soil somewhere else, so it doesn't really solve the sustainability issue.

Well it's economically cheaper to burn oil than pretty much any other energy production method - it's just that the true cost is carried by the climate and ecosystems much like conventional farming. It's difficult to compete with conveniently packaged energy from fossil fuels or just cutting down a forrest, throwing some seeds on the ground and pumping some water onto it - that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

The point is, many crops are limited in where they can grow by how much sunlight they receive. Since vertical farming is like farming in the far north re: incidence angles, most crops will need additional energy input to produce light for them to grow. Unless you want to use nuclear power to create this light you probably are using something nonrenewable to do it. The buildings also need to be heated and cooled properly, and water has to be pumped up to the top in order to reach plants up there. I agree that vertical farming is cool and it uses space better that flat farming for sure, but the energy requirements are way higher to get the same output, it's not even close.

You do save on transportation costs if you are selling the food locally, which can help offset this. I don't have time to look for research on this, but I imagine it will only ever make sense if we have some non-fossil fuel form of energy production that makes energy cheap, but still rely on (now-expensive) petrol for transportation, making growing things locally much more important than it is right now.

I don't think anybody is saying we have the technology to make a transition right now - but it should be the end goal. Right now we're trying to use plants designed for seasons, open fields, sunlight etc and put them into a very different system. There's no reason to think we can't make organisms tuned to convert nutrients into food at a much faster and efficient rate then conventional farming can sustain. Maybe that's future speak on the level of fusion power but if we can't do that we're simply hosed.

Water and phosphorous are limited resources so eventually something has to give. We can't just keep dumping this stuff into the ocean without a care in the world. You think high gas prices are bad for the poor - wait till aquifers start running dry, deposits become depleted and farmland turn to desert. We know this will happen and is happening right now. It's true that we produce enough food for everybody right now but are we absolutely sure that with another 3 billion people consuming more resources we'll be able to continue to do that with current systems? It's important we are certain of this.

Paper Mac posted:

That's not my point- the problem with industrial farming methods is that they're brittle, relatively energy-intensive, and rely on non-renewable inputs. Vertical farming doesn't really do anything to address those problems. To the extent that scarcity of arable land is a pressing problem for particular societies, I don't really see "build ersatz arable land in skyscrapers" as a meaningful solution.

Well I wasn't really thinking specifically about vertical farming - I was just making a general observation that we should probably start thinking about producing our food in a different way. I just take issue with the idea that using less chemicals - organic farming - is sustainable when the problem is really much larger in scope.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I just can't imagine a bunch of people who are apparently seriously interested in energy generation, enough to run a scientific contest, to be so ignorant on nuclear they'd just lash out in such obvious ignorance and emotion.

It's the exact same thing with GMOs though - some environmentalists just got it into their thick skulls that sciency things are bad. The dishonesty of their arguments and tactics resembles creationists and climate change deniers in many ways.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

enbot posted:

Solar roads are great for places where they make utterly no sense to install. Like, they'd be great in say arizona, except why on earth would you want to install solar panels where they would be beat to hell vs. just using the endless amount of open land. And if space is an issue then you are in an area where the road will be heavily obscured during the day anyway.

But hey, it sure gets money from gullible venture capitalists.

It's up to almost 2 million :stare:

Look, paving roads with glass and electronics is loving stupid. Glass is soft and brittle and it's not going to last for 10 or 20 years of trucks grinding sand and pebbles against it. What kind of traction do you get on wet glass after 5 years of grinding sand against it? How do you roll it out - do you have an army of technicians and electricians installing hexagons by hand? Also testing it to 250000 pounds is nonsensical - what happens when a 250000 pound truck drives over some random bit of road debris focusing all the pressure of an axle into a single point?

Stop giving them money.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm all up for hating on blind enthusiasm for awkward ideas but you are aware that there isn't only one kind of glass, right?

Also 20 years is rather on the hopeful side for the estimated lifetime of any electronic system, I think you're maybe getting a little carried away here.

10-20 years is the lifespan of blacktop so that's the standard it should be judged by. Paving over our roads every 3 or 5 years or whatever is neither green, cheap nor feasible. If they have glass that can withstand 18 wheelers grinding rock against it for years that's great but it sounds amazing.

Also ever noticed how rougher road surfaces produce more noise? Well this

reminds me of something.

:xd:

It doesn't even matter. There's so many things wrong with it.
- They want to use recycled glass to make it greener than blacktop - which is already 99% recycled.
- Pressure sensors, micro processors, LEDs, wiring, solar panels, tempered glass - this is *not* greener than blacktop.
- Those LED's under that glass won't be visible in direct sunlight. Think about a smartphone in direct sunlight.
- Instead of lighting up entire roads maybe we could save energy and just put lamps on cars.
- How are you going to thaw snow on the road with solar power... when it's snowing?
- Thawing snow requires a shitload of energy. We should probably just shovel it off to the side.
- This is a really inefficient way to deploy solar and you'll need an incredible number of transformer stations.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

crazypenguin posted:

They really are cheaper. We do have to solve the grid batteries problem before that's actually provably true, as right now you can argue the other way because we haven't (as far as I know) got a good grid battery solution, but I think you might even have to solve this problem for a pure-nuclear approach. After all, building 10 nuclear plants to supply enough to meet peak demand is likely more expensive than 5 + a grid battery system that can meet the peaks.

Demand varies too, something still has to account for that.

So if grid batteries are the cost effective route anyway, and solar/etc is on pace to be cheaper than coal in 4 years (or so I've read), then they're an obvious part of the solution.

NASA is working on vacuum magnetic bearing flywheels which I think is pretty interesting. They don't require any toxic elements, are fairly long lasting, have decent storage density and good roundtrip efficiency. Failure modes involve explosions though.

There's these guys who are building a 6MV test storage facility somewhere in England. The more outlandish idea I've seen involves hauling rail cars filled with rocks to the top of a hill and then generating electricity when you roll them back down. There's a lot of stuff going on in that field as a new market more or less created by renewables - it's pretty interesting to follow it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

That of course is going to work but you're going to lose a lot of the energy in the process which will further increase the amount of solar/wind you need. It will certainly be more efficient than pumped hydro which is a pretty hilariously inefficient process.

Also, all energy storage is going to have the problem of catastrophic failure - that energy is stored and wants to get out after all!

Pumped hydro sits around 70-75% roundtrip efficiency which I think would be manageble if it was scalable and didn't have the environmental impact. Of course energy storage is an added component to renewables that make it more expensive and complex but there's a potential there if we can figure out a cost effective way of doing it.

The rail thing actually doesn't look too bad now that I look into it. I can't figure out how much space it takes up but it's low-tech proven technology, no energy loss for long term storage and the environmental impact is neglible assuming it doesn't require vast tracts of land. They claim 85% efficiency but that's from a sales pitch so whatever.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
In my corner of Europe everything pre-70s oil shock got terrible insulation. It's so bad that it's more economical to tear them down and just build a new one.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

crazypenguin posted:

For what it's worth, Australia might actually be a place where they can get away with being nuclear-phobic. Don't they have pretty consistent year-round sunlight?

Most the problem with solar is seasonal variability, not daily variability. With the storage you need to get power from wind, you're basically well over what's necessary to accommodate solar's daily fluctuations. And with thermal solar, the problem is even smaller still.

The real big problem with solar is when you're getting a 200x difference in power generated in January vs July. There's not enough storage in the world to store for 6 months and then discharge for 6 months. You just can't smooth that out.

I liked solar a lot more before I saw this

Solar in Germany :negative:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Pander posted:

Pretty sure it was, and it was generally eyerolled at.

Attitude's generally been along the lines of proof before belief.

Yeah the thing is they don't need to jump through all these hoops if it really works. Build one - even just a small one - and sell electricity to the grid. If the scientific community refuses to see the light you have a cool monopoly on cold fusion. The only thing better than a patent would be nobody believing in your tech or being able to replicate it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The Nordic market isn't representative of anything you can do on a global scale since there's vast natural resources here simply by virtue of area to population but it's at least a positive story.

Reuters posted:

Wind blows away fossil power in the Nordics, the Baltics next

* Rising wind power output pushes Nordic prices down

* Low power prices cut gas, coal power profitability

* Denmark, Finland seen shutting abt 2,000 MW of condensing power

* Norway mothballs 420 MW Kaarstoe gas-fired power plant

By Nerijus Adomaitis

OSLO, Oct 15 (Reuters) - Wind power is blowing gas and coal-fired turbines out of business in the Nordic countries, and the effects will be felt across the Baltic region as the renewable glut erodes utility margins for thermal power stations.

Fossil power plants in Finland and Denmark act as swing-producers, helping to meet demand when hydropower production in Norway and Sweden falls due to dry weather.

The arrival of wind power on a large scale has made this role less relevant and has pushed electricity prices down, eroding profitability of fossil power stations.

"Demand for coal condensing power in the Nordic power market has decreased as a result of the economic recession and the drop in the wholesale price for electricity," state-controlled Finnish utility Fortum said, booking an impairment loss of about 25 million euros($31.67 million).

Nordic wholesale forward power prices have almost halved since 2010 to little over 30 euros per megawatt-hour (MWh) as capacity increases while demand stalls on the back of stagnant populations, low economic growth and lower energy use due to improved efficiency.

Short-run marginal costs (SRMC) of coal generation were 28.70 euros per megawatt-hour (MWh), the Nordic power regulators said, while costs of gas-fired power generation were much higher, at 53 euros/MWh in 2013.

"The Nordic system price will likely more often clear well below the production cost for coal fired power production," said Marius Holm Rennesund Oslo-based consultancy THEMA.

"This will, in our view, result in mothballing of 2,000 MW of coal condensing capacity in Denmark and Finland towards 2030," he added.

Adding further wind power capacity at current market conditions could lead to power prices dropping towards as low as 20 euros per MWh, the marginal cost for nuclear reactors, Rennesund said.

PART OF A PLAN

Denmark and Finland have about 11,000 MW of coal, gas and oil-fired generating capacities, Reuters estimate shows.

Pushing fossil-fuelled power stations out of the Nordic generation park is part of government plans across the region.

Denmark wants to phase all coal use in power generation by 2030 and to generate all power and heat from renewables by 2035.

Wind power is expected to meet half consumption in Denmark by 2020, up from 33.4 percent in 2013.

In neighbouring Sweden, wind meets about 8 percent of total consumption, and installed capacity has more than doubled to about 5,000 MW in 2014 from 2010. Its wind power association predicts the capacity to rise to some 7,000 MW by 2017.

In Norway, the government has pledged to change tax rules to catch up with Sweden.

These plans are beginning to bear results.

Naturkraft, a joint venture between Norway's Statoil and Statkraft, said this month it would put its 420 megawatt (MW) Kaarstoe gas-fired power plant in "cold reserve" from January.

Mothballing the 2 billion crowns ($302 million) plant, which had operated for only a few days per year, would help to save 50-80 million crowns per year, Naturkraft's chief executive John Terje Staveland told Reuters.

Earlier this year, Finnish utility Fortum shut its 695 MW Inkoo coal-fire power plant.

Sweden's Vattenfall said in May it will shut down its 409 MW coal-fired Fyn power plant in Denmark from May 2016.

The state-run utility sold its 314 MW coal-fired Amager power plant in Copenhagen to a Danish utility HOFOR, which plans to replace coal with biomass.

The developments in the Nordic countries is also beginning to affect utilities in the Baltic states as their grids get more integrated.

Estonia's energy group Eesti Energia saw its power sales to drop by 30 percent during the first half of the year after a 650 MW link to Finland came online at end-2013.

Cheaper power imports from the Nordics have halved Eesti Energia's profit margin to 12 euros per MWh in the second quarter, the company said in its quarterly report.

Lithuania, which expects to have a 700 MW interconnection to Sweden by end-2015, has said it would shut 900 MW of gas-fired capacity by 2016 due to negative margins. (1 US dollar = 6.6199 Norwegian krone) (1 US dollar = 0.7895 euro)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/nordicpower-windfarm-idUSL6N0S530M20141015

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Ardennes posted:

In the case of many forests for example in the Northwest, they may even be more recent than that since the timber industry usually replants. Ultimately, the most method would be using the waste from the timber industry for biomass, then replanting new trees in already established new growth forests. I don't see it something that really needs to be pushed that far, but it may be a interesting subsidization policy for the rural Northwest is Chinese demand for lumber falls.

I don't see the reactor on a boat issue not still facing a lot of NIMBYism though, and facing a lot of other hurdles. Ultimately I don't know what it fixes.

In any event decomposing plant matter produce methane and nitrous oxide as opposed to burning it which only release CO2. If you have access to large quantities of biomatter you really should either burn it or harvest the biogas from it. Landfilling is both a waste and terrible in terms of greenhouse gasses.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Pander posted:

How does harvesting biomass for burning differ from allowing it to decompose in terms of soil quality? I thought that decomposition of plant matter provided the nitrogen and other nutrients necessary to allow for plant growth in the first place, and that cutting and burning trees and plant matter elsewhere was what contributed to the eradication of rich topsoil.

I suppose it does but it's the case either way when we remove it from a field or forest and eventually dump it in a landfill.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Blue Star posted:

Are we running out of oil? Will we suddenly be like "Oh poo poo, there's no oil. Welp, civilization was nice while it lasted..."?

I hope not. But that's the perception you get from some places on the internet. Are we just hosed?

Nothing is for certain but it doesn't appear to be a problem for the forseeable future. The issue is the effects it have on climate.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Placid Marmot posted:

...in addition to the fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides that are inevitably required for any industrial production of biomass, which will include forests (which are not typically treated with the above), if they are harvested faster than the bedrock below them can release the minerals required to build fertile soil.

Yes smoke is toxic. However, what makes it toxic, airborne particulates, do not remain in the air indefinetely so it's mainly an issue for the general vicinity of whatever is burning and the problem can be mitigated with filters. This is opposed to greenhouse gasses released when it rots which we can't mitigate. I'm specifically talking about biomatter that either ends up in landfills or is collected centrally for recycling. Burn it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

The people stopping nuclear power in the US aren't the general public, the NIMBYs, or the greens. Its the power companies and the price coal/gas.

But I'm sure someone here will argue that the greens are to blame for SONGS and that really Crystal River shut down because of NIMBYs.
The general public really, really don't like nuclear so I'm pretty sure they had a hand in it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Essentially in the UK we're building quite a number of wind farms, including a rather silly looking offshore one near me, but I believe most of them are built with government funding, or on crown land, rent free, and such. So I was wondering how they actually measure up in terms of efficient energy generation and economic viability, and I can't find the numbers I'm after on google, though that may be not knowing what to type.

Onshore wind is cheap, only beaten by natural gas. Offshore wind is quite expensive.

The DOE and NREL jointly run a database of energy generation cost estimates compiled from a range of different sources. http://en.openei.org/apps/TCDB/

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

That was sort of what I was wondering about, is wind power actually practical outside of governments throwing money at it.

Information seems to point at it being useful if you have a good location for it but possibly not likely to form the backbone of an energy economy.

As we have a fair few people who hate wind turbines with the fury of a thousand suns, it's pertinent I think to be able to respond accurately to them.

Wind power is limited so it can never be the principal energy provider. If anyone is arguing this they are wrong. However, it's very, very cheap in the right places which makes it really dumb to not to use it if you can. I mean if you can put up some turbines in a good spot but don't, and instead burn more coal, you are literally paying money to spray toxins into your environment.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

StabbinHobo posted:

should we do the tesla battery here or new thread?

People may buy them for the same reasons they buy Tesla cars - although it doesn't make any economic sense it's kinda cool and futuristic. As long as the economics is not there it will remain a thing for the tiny rich elite.

Bloomberg did a piece on battery developers working on stuff.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

Don't they use the same cell packs for SpaceX's Dragon capsules, which dock to the ISS? Either NASA doesn't care or they greenlit the use.

A car with a life expectancy of 20 years is not equal to a space thing that will fly probably once.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Phanatic posted:

A car where you can expect a failure not to instantly kill you and which you will have time to take to a mechanic before you plunge to a horrible fiery death is indeed not equal to things that by their nature must be incredibly overengineered.

The point is it doesn't matter if NASA greenlighted it to fly on rockets. NASA greenlighted the engine on the curiosity rover and I wouldn't put that in my car, plane, train or boat. Things are engineered for different tasks and being exceptionelly well - or poorly - engineered for one thing does not inform you of anything else. Tesla batteries could be immensely well suited for space travel and still be the most expensive and impractical batteries on Earth.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I'll believe all this battery tech when it's deployed and proven its self technically and economically and not just a bunch marketing hype.

Well,

Ars posted:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/05/tesla-already-has-38000-reservations-for-the-powerwall-but-use-case-is-narrow/
“There are two versions of the Powerwall; the daily cycling version and the power backup one,” Musk explained on the earnings call today. For people with solar panels, “the daily cycling one, it is true, in the US they are more expensive than being on the grid,” and simply selling solar energy back to the utility and buying the energy back at night. “This doesn't mean that people won't buy it [in the US]. Some people want to go off-grid on principle.” Musk continued to say that the 7kWh daily cycling battery was designed with Germany and Australia in mind, where solar power is plentiful and traditional power is expensive.

If it can cost more than it saves and doesn't blow up within the warranty period it will have proven to do what Musk claims it does. It's doable.

Bates fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 7, 2015

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

Guess who helps inflating the cost by protesting and delaying projects for decades.

Private investors have other reasons to not like it. It's extremely capital intensive with high (practically guaranteed) risk of cost overruns in the construction phase and the possibility of higher operation costs than projected. Add the risk of a perfect storm scenario where your 10-15 bill. reactor is suddenly rendered useless. At the same time you have to deal with unpredictable fossil fuel costs which may price you out at any point in the 40 years you need to recoup your investment while electricity demand is trending down and renewables are reaching parity. It's a lot of uncertainty and risk for a huge investment with a small to moderate return.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

crabcakes66 posted:

So I don't understand the arguments about subsidies being bad for X but not for Y.

That chart is a bit opaque to me. We have derived most of our energy from fossil fuels so even a tiny subsidy would accrue to huge numbers whereas the opposite is true of marginal sources such as solar. It would be more interesting to see what subsidies amount to per kwh or something like that.

Anyway, if you think CO2 or smog are bad then obviously the state shouldn't subsidize fossil fuels. If you think renewable energy is a conspiracy to usher in a world government then those subsidies are bad. If you don't like subsidies then they are all bad.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

It seems the larger issue is that PV is plummeting in price even at utility grade. I feel like I'm missing something for why PV is suddenly plummeting in price and rising in efficiency; it can't all just be subsidies. I was rather surprised to find out that in the process of getting solar panels on my house that the drat things seem like they can generate about as much electricity as we use in a month, and we use quite a bit over here.

Swanson's law. The real answer is economies of scale, the learning curve and a technology that haven't quite plateaued yet, One thing out of left field that dropped prices a good bit a few years back was reduction in installation costs.

Solar PV is kinda interesting in that it messes with the business models of established fossil fuel plants. Output peaks at the time of day when demand is high so sometimes it can drive electricity cost way down and suddenly your peaker plant isn't making much money. You still need those plants of course but they're more expensive to run which creates an incentive for more people to put up solar PV and around it goes. Penetration isn't high enough for us to really see how it will play out yet but at some point down the line utilities in some of the sunnier states will start moaning about it.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

CombatInformatiker posted:

The question is the same for all harmful materials, of course. The answer, however, isn't. There's also a difference between "we know how to handle this in a safe way" and "from years of practical experience, we know that even the unavoidable gently caress-up by humans doesn't result in serious ecological impact".

Sure but production of PV will be subject to the same regulations as any other industrial production. The by-products do not appear to be wildly exotic or toxic by industrial standards.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Pander posted:

Seems like the same old problem. You'd think that, given the ample free space out in Wyoming, there'd have to be some kind of space-inefficient but maintenance-efficient solution available to store the energy. Are those types of applications simply impractical on the single-home scale?

Well thermal storage requires a steam turbine which I can't imagine is easier or cheaper to maintain. You could do compressed air storage but again, you need mechanical gadgets. It's just not going to be efficient or maintainable on a small scale. I kinda, sorta like flywheels... the energy density doesn't degrade over time and it's pretty efficient. I have no idea about lifespan and I suspect they'd be incredibly expensive at a small scale.

We'll need better and cheaper batteries.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's admittedly speculative, but again it comes back to scale. A nuclear plant with a couple of reactors can produce a couple GW in a relatively compact structure. I would expect the foundations and mountings, plus the materials for the panels themselves, for the fields of PV panels necessary to generate that much electricity would require significantly more materials.

Though it would be good to see data - is anyone aware of comparisons of the amount of building materials involved for different power sources?

These guys do some calculations but I don't know how accurate or useful it is. Keep in mind you can run the calculations for suburban vs urban living and get similarly hugely different numbers in land/energy/material use - and people wouldn't care at all. It's all very true but you're not going to convince anyone with it. In any event the US government is not fighting against nuclear - it's actively supporting it. The problem isn't policy, it's risk averse investors.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Bloomberg thinks renewables is starting to impact the cost of coal/gas generated electricity. The solar subsidy will be phased out over the next couple of years which will probably stall growth though.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

computer parts posted:

You can probably make designs that don't require them, but currently (or so the assertion says) those designs don't exist/aren't used.

Also mining is a pretty major (in terms of volume anyway; it's actually pretty stupid) argument against fission so I don't see why it wouldn't apply here.

Rare earths refer to 17 elements and there's plenty of battery chemistries that don't involve any of them such as zinc-air or lead-acid. What he means - I'm guessing - is that batteries with a reasonable energy density require expensive and rare elements such as the lithium batteries in Teslas powerwall. Personally I find it odd to pay a premium for energy density on the utility scale so I don't think lithium will really be used there - it'll probably be flow batteries and other chemistries to optimize for cost rather than size.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

computer parts posted:

Yeah, that was actually explicitly stated:

Rare earth elements and elements that are rare are different things, is what I'm saying.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It really shouldn't be that complicated. Just have the government (with its access to more or less zero interest rate borrowing) build plants wherever there is demand, and sell the electricity at cost or with slight margins. If private producers of energy can do it a lower cost, go for it. If not, too bad.

Cheap energy, fighting global warming, and a retirement program for submarine engineers - what more could you ask for?

It's not cheap and that's the problem.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Not sure I'm parsing this correctly but isn't the fed already subsidizing financing and project costs?
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Country-Profiles/Countries-T-Z/USA--Nuclear-Power-Policy/

World Nuclear Association on the Energy Policy Act 2005 posted:

Federal loan guarantees for advanced nuclear reactors or other emission-free technologies up to 80% of the project cost.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

First, you're overestimating the destructive capacity of a nuclear meltdown by a huge margin.

Second, as others have pointed out, building a hydroelectric dam is environmentally devastating right off the bat; this is something that a lot of people don't consider when they talk about hydroelectric power. And in case of plant failure, a catastrophic failure with a modern reactor design inevitably causes far less devastation (including "none at all" depending on the type of reactor) than a bursting hydroelectric dam.

Amusingly hydro electric plants were often built so nuclear plants could run full tilt 24/7 because it was cheaper and more efficient than cycling them up and down. It's not that much of an issue with newer designs but a lot of hydro electric plants are a legacy of those first reactor designs.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

You don't have to resort to conjecture, you can just go look at how much we spend on nuclear power R&D and solar power R&D. Let's ask the people who actually study this: the Energy Information Administration (EIA)

2013 Solar R&D: $284 million
2013 Nuclear R&D: $406 million

Note that if you start counting subsidies and direct spending, then solar power receives about 3x more money than nuclear power; a lot of this is due to the government directly paying solar power producers ($3 billion) whereas we apparently don't do this much for producers of nuclear power ($37 million)

The federal Solar Investment Tax Credit expires in 2016 so that'll be interesting.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
OPEC comitted ritual suicide Friday. The economies of Russia and Venezuela offered in appeasement to the angry Gods of oil.

Bloomberg posted:

OPEC abandoned all pretense this week of acting as a cartel. It’s now every member for itself.

At a chaotic meeting Friday in Vienna that was expected to last four hours but expanded to nearly seven, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries tossed aside the idea of limiting production to control prices. Instead, it went all in for the one-year-old Saudi Arabia-led policy of pumping, pumping, pumping until rivals -- external, such as Russia and U.S. shale drillers, as well as internal -- are squeezed out of market share.

“Lots of people said that OPEC was dead; OPEC itself just confirmed it,” Jamie Webster, a Washington-based oil analyst for IHS Inc., said in Vienna.

OPEC has set a production target almost without interruption since 1982, though member countries often ignored it and pumped well above it. The ceiling of 30 million barrels a day, in place since 2011 and now abandoned as too rigid, is no exception. OPEC output has outstripped it for 18 consecutive months, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Now the organization says it will keep pumping as much as it does now -- about 31.5 million barrels a day -- effectively endorsing limitless output.

Given the current Sunni-Shia proxy-war in Syria it's unlikely the Saudis are going to do anything that could be helpful to Iran or Russia - and no one can really afford to do it without them. American shale and maybe some oil sands may go offline but they have proven inexplicably resilient so who knows how long it will take. Incidentally current oil prices are buoyed by China building up its strategic oil reserves which will continue and accelerate through 2016 albeit not enough to offset Irans return to market. Exciting times ahead for SUVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

See now that just doesn't make sense, solar panels eat sunlight so obviously they protect you from UV radiation.

Solar panels soak up sunlight and amplifies UV. Ever wonder why areas with solar panels are hotter than areas without? The panels are frying everything around them. Every year around spring solar farms ramp up production of electricity and emit toxic radiation and the temps go up. Every year. The drought in California is more and larger solar farms baking the whole state. Germany built organic solar farms so they're ok.