Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I just saw the XFL thing. Not bad. I'm sure a revived one would include San Diego and St. Louis, but if they thought those kinds of cheerleaders would be bad then....

Grittybeard posted:

Was he still with NBC then?

I guess he was always kinda with NBC because of the Olympics, but I thought the interview bit might have been on the HBO Costas show.

The interview was on his HBO show,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Watching the XFL one (FINALLY)

Holy Hell Costas needs shoved into a locker or something. What a loving self righteous douche bag.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I feel like the XFL doc could have been much longer and done in multiple parts. So many stories they left out like the Honda debacle. How do we get James Andrew Miller to write an oral history on it?
I...don't remember the Honda debacle.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Ted posted:

I...don't remember the Honda debacle.

Something happened with Honda and Vince wanted to give them poo poo on the air, which everyone at NBC told them no way because Honda was a big time NBC sponsor in general. Eventually Vince got King to say something like "They were as unreliable as a Civic" or something like that and he got in serious poo poo for it because Vince always gotta Vince.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I feel like the XFL doc could have been much longer and done in multiple parts. So many stories they left out like the Honda debacle. How do we get James Andrew Miller to write an oral history on it?

Well he did the SNL one so he definitely has access to the NBC side of things if he really wanted to do it. I'm not quite sure he can get access to the WWE people though. WWE likes to make life hell for people who talk poo poo about them and their failed projects and I'm willing to bet a lot of the people who worked on the production side from WWE are still with the company today. You're not going to get anything good out of them. The XFL is a weird one to me as far as length goes. I don't think it fits the standard 700 page James Andrew Miller oral history length, but it definitely deserved more than what it got from 30 for 30. Maybe a 3 part mini series where each was an hour long?

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Just watched "This Magic Moment"

That 90s Orlando Magic team essentially drew me into sports as a kid. To this day Penny Hardaway is my favorite player.

I had no idea how unbelievably dim-witted, gutless and straight up stupid the Magic ownership was over the contract deals with Shaq. And it's striking how even over 20 years later these morons (especially Pat Williams) seem bewildered to the fact that THEY MADE A HUGE loving GODDAMN MISTAKE HOLY poo poo.

And I mean John Gabriel didn't even try. "Uhh so I guess you're going to the Lakers huh? ...Welp!" NICE MELTDOWN JOHN.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Something happened with Honda and Vince wanted to give them poo poo on the air, which everyone at NBC told them no way because Honda was a big time NBC sponsor in general. Eventually Vince got King to say something like "They were as unreliable as a Civic" or something like that and he got in serious poo poo for it because Vince always gotta Vince.

Honda pulled their ads from the XFL saying the league wasn't what they were promised. Vince decided as retribution he was going to blow up a Honda at the 50 yard line during the halftime of a telecast. NBC obviously said no loving way since Honda was one of their biggest advertisers. They even sent out a stern letter to everyone on the telecasts not to trash the sponsors. Well the next week Lawler made the "unreliable" comment about Honda after a missed FG. Honda was furious with NBC who in turn was furious with Vince.

Now the aftermath is a bit murky (which is why we need an in-depth book about this league). NBC apparently wanted Lawler not only fired from doing XFL games but also from WWE. They needed to show Honda that this was a rogue announcer who did this. Vince didn't want to flat out fire Lawler since he likely put him up to it so he fired his wife from WWE (The Kat) which caused Jerry to walk out. Vince then went back to NBC and told them the situation was handled.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Akileese posted:

Well he did the SNL one so he definitely has access to the NBC side of things if he really wanted to do it. I'm not quite sure he can get access to the WWE people though. WWE likes to make life hell for people who talk poo poo about them and their failed projects and I'm willing to bet a lot of the people who worked on the production side from WWE are still with the company today. You're not going to get anything good out of them. The XFL is a weird one to me as far as length goes. I don't think it fits the standard 700 page James Andrew Miller oral history length, but it definitely deserved more than what it got from 30 for 30. Maybe a 3 part mini series where each was an hour long?

This is probably true. I just listened to an interview with Charlie Ebersol and he said the only reason Vince gave him access was because Vince trusted his father. You'd need to get access to so many people that still work for Vince.

The interview also soured me on the 30 for 30 a bit more. Charlie alludes to the generator not having gas in it as a conspiracy to sabotage the league. He keeps trying to imply the failure was mostly about bad luck. Blames the marketing for people thinking the XFL wanted to be more violent than it was. Claims that the former coaches they hired to make the rules made it favor the defenses too much which hurt the game. Fact is the league was DOA because this country doesn't treat minor league sports seriously. It was a dumb idea from the start.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

i'll still argue that the a "new" league could have worked out in regards to what the XFL WANTED to be, but the problem is it wasn't "aggressive" in the manner that the AAFC, AFL and USFL were.

What I mean by that is finding owners, players and coaches that pro football had been deemed to be "crazy". They had some interesting ideas in regards to rules, the overall attitude of the league, and being on a channel that wanted to have pro football, but had been burned by the NFL.

They had one eccentric owner in Vince McMahon...they needed more. They needed guys like Mark Cuban, and such to own teams, go after high priced NFL FA's, Collegiate players, etc.

If you watch "FULL COLOR FOOTBALL" the "AFL" doc, you could see that there IS a route you can go to create a league to challenge the NFL. You just need a guy like Lamar Hunt, and a few others who are pissed at not being invited to the NFL's old boys club.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

iWhat I mean by that is finding owners, players and coaches that pro football had been deemed to be "crazy". They had some interesting ideas in regards to rules, the overall attitude of the league, and being on a channel that wanted to have pro football, but had been burned by the NFL.

They had one eccentric owner in Vince McMahon...they needed more. They needed guys like Mark Cuban, and such to own teams, go after high priced NFL FA's, Collegiate players, etc.

How many of those guys are there? Or at least guys with actual money, I remember a few complete frauds who tried to buy teams.

Mark Cuban and possibly Rush Limbaugh (I don't know if he actually had the finances or not?) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

e: Well Trump too I guess.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

A clip from the Mike and the Mad Dog one is up

https://twitter.com/30for30/status/839554972257816587?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

i'll still argue that the a "new" league could have worked out in regards to what the XFL WANTED to be, but the problem is it wasn't "aggressive" in the manner that the AAFC, AFL and USFL were.

What I mean by that is finding owners, players and coaches that pro football had been deemed to be "crazy". They had some interesting ideas in regards to rules, the overall attitude of the league, and being on a channel that wanted to have pro football, but had been burned by the NFL.

If you watch "FULL COLOR FOOTBALL" the "AFL" doc, you could see that there IS a route you can go to create a league to challenge the NFL. You just need a guy like Lamar Hunt, and a few others who are pissed at not being invited to the NFL's old boys club.
If there was an NBCSN to put games on back in 2001, the XFL could have worked. However, it constantly ran overtime on NBC itself, which pissed off both local news affiliates and the Saturday Night Live crew.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Announced today

30 for 30 podcasts start in June

https://www.30for30podcasts.com/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Remember how awesome "OJ: Made In America" was?

Well ESPN is going to follow that up with.......... A multi-part documentary on Chicago Bears fans.

:confused:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

Well ESPN is going to follow that up with.......... A multi-part documentary on Chicago Bears fans.

I'd watch a multi-part documentary on Bill Swerski's Superfans

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DJExile posted:

I'm a Bears fan and I'm not sure even I want to watch this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah this seems like something that a local CSN affiliate or WGN would do, and that would make sense. I have no idea how this is meant to appeal nationwide.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I don't know why the point of comparison is OJ, considering they do a lot of documentaries and it's not the same people.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't know why the point of comparison is OJ, considering they do a lot of documentaries and it's not the same people.

Because all of their previous documentaries were self-contained, with the moderate exception of The U. OJ was a magnum opus and deserving of the five parts, it's the Ken Burns' Baseball of our time. Now we get an eight-part documentary of a team's fanbase for reasons of........?

It's not just wondering why this doc needs to exist, but why it needs/demands to be in eight parts. Unless it's like ten minutes a pop, why is this being done and why is it being done in this way?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the Ric Flair 30 for 30 debuts September 8th

quote:

The Flair 30 For 30 will feature interviews with everyone from Vince McMahon, The Undertaker, Sting, and Ricky Steamboat to Flair’s children and his first wife. And yes, they talked to Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson. The final version of the doc is expected to run from 90 to 120 minutes (including commercial breaks).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am still worried about WWE bullshit coming through but I am hopeful.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

algebra testes posted:

I am still worried about WWE bullshit coming through but I am hopeful.

Beyond the Mat avoided it (and got condemned by WWE for it).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Beyond the Mat avoided it (and got condemned by WWE for it).

wwe was way less concerned with their image in 1999

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So the first 30 for 30 Audio is up. It's on Dan O'Brien and Dave Johnson and Reebok's hilariously bad marketing campaign for the '92 Summer Olympics in Barcelona. I'm about 15 minutes in but it's pretty good. It feels like a sports version of This American Life/Serial which is something that has been sorely missing from the podcast medium. I'm very excited for the rest of the series.

Also, if you've never seen those '92 ads, well enjoy. It's astounding how weird and bad they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKJkfE1M9wA

e: Fixed for idiocy.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 28, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god I forgot how awkward those were

and it's all the funnier that O'Brien missed the team like a month before the games

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Akileese posted:

So the first 30 for 30 Audio is up. It's on Dan O'Brien and Dave Johnson and Reebok's hilariously bad marketing campaign for the '92 Summer Olympics in Barcelona. I'm about 15 minutes in but it's pretty good. It feels like a sports version of This American Life/Serial which is something that has been sorely missing from the podcast medium. I'm not excited for the rest of the series.

Also, if you've never seen those '92 ads, well enjoy. It's astounding how weird and bad they are.

Wait, it sounded like you said you liked it but then you said you're not excited for the rest of the series. :confused:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Wait, it sounded like you said you liked it but then you said you're not excited for the rest of the series. :confused:

I really should stop posting or doing anything before my loving third cup of coffee since I'm borderline incoherent and can't convey my thoughts into words. This is sadly not just a forum post issue. I'll fix it. I'm totally jazzed for the rest of the series.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Akileese posted:

So the first 30 for 30 Audio is up. It's on Dan O'Brien and Dave Johnson and Reebok's hilariously bad marketing campaign for the '92 Summer Olympics in Barcelona. I'm about 15 minutes in but it's pretty good. It feels like a sports version of This American Life/Serial which is something that has been sorely missing from the podcast medium. I'm very excited for the rest of the series.

e: Fixed for idiocy.

I was 10 during the Barcelona games. Even then I thought that was a huge and hilarious fail.

One guy didn't make the games, the other won bronze.

I always wondered what happened to the exec who okayed that ad campaign.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Your Taint posted:

I was 10 during the Barcelona games. Even then I thought that was a huge and hilarious fail.

One guy didn't make the games, the other won bronze.

I always wondered what happened to the exec who okayed that ad campaign.

From what I gather the campaign was wildly successful in terms of building Reboks brand and selling shoes.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

O'Brien was the reigning world champ and the odds that he would've missed the Olympics were virtually zero going in.

Things obviously didn't work out as intended in hindsight, but I don't blame them for going for it, it seemed to increase sales and we're still talking about it today, so something must have gone right.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah as I recall, Reebok was getting hammered by Nike in the athletic shoe world so banking on O'Brien and Johnson to get them back into the fray was far from the worst idea.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Yankees Suck is a really cool episode having to do with the people who sold those shirts outside Fenway in the 90s/00s. How they dealt with code enforcement, how much money they made, etc. Definitely worth listening to if you were curious how those street vendors worked.

tldr on the amount of money they made: A fuckton.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ESPN announced their next episode on George Best which is airing on 7/20. This is going to be really good.

http://awfulannouncing.com/films/espn-announces-george-best-30-30-will-air-july-20-shares-trailer.html

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I listened to the Dan/Dave podcast, thought it was kinda boring. Gonna try YANKEES SUCK anyway.

Also, did anyone like Lakers-Celtics? I thought it might be cool, but I couldn't get past Ice Cube and Donnie Wahlberg so I didn't really stick with it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Akileese posted:

ESPN announced their next episode on George Best which is airing on 7/20. This is going to be really good.

http://awfulannouncing.com/films/espn-announces-george-best-30-30-will-air-july-20-shares-trailer.html

Oh man, he is ripe for documentary filmmaking.

Although I imagine there's at least one doc made by a UK resident about him, Best is considered the greatest UK footballer ever, isn't he?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Oh man, he is ripe for documentary filmmaking.

Although I imagine there's at least one doc made by a UK resident about him, Best is considered the greatest UK footballer ever, isn't he?

He's up there but definitely one of the greatest dribblers to ever play. He pretty much quit high level competitive football at his peak (age 27) and then just turned into a globetrotter, playing in a bunch of random leagues like the NASL, Irish league, and Scottish league. He played for a couple more English teams throughout. The guy was way before my time so someone about ten years older than I might be able to shed more light on his career. All I've ever seen are clips. I just remember seeing this goal from his time in the NASL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8wGN5uDaVg

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Akileese posted:

He's up there but definitely one of the greatest dribblers to ever play. He pretty much quit high level competitive football at his peak (age 27) and then just turned into a globetrotter, playing in a bunch of random leagues like the NASL, Irish league, and Scottish league. He played for a couple more English teams throughout. The guy was way before my time so someone about ten years older than I might be able to shed more light on his career. All I've ever seen are clips. I just remember seeing this goal from his time in the NASL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8wGN5uDaVg

My favorite thing about him is there's a story where he used a feint on a PK to completely fool a goalie, and then this quote came out of it, bless the goalie's heart for having a sense of humour about it:

quote:

It's been a joke on the circuit ever since. You know, I'm on one side of the street, George Best is on the other. He nods to me and I dive under a bus.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Best is the one who basically drank a small country's GDP worth of alcohol on a regular basis right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Best is the one who basically drank a small country's GDP worth of alcohol on a regular basis right?

Yeah, it killed him in the end. He got a life saving operation to replace or repair a liver that the NHS paid for, then continued to drink afterwards and died at 59. I read up a bit on him and he was making PSA's towards the end urging people to not be like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

And also hosed more women than anyone not named Wilt Chamberlain.

• Locked thread