Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

FlickingFire posted:

Looking forward to the Ben Johnson doco in particular

Same here. Hopefully they dip into how much of an rear end in a top hat Carl Lewis is.

Bliggers- posted:

The Fifth Estate documentary on him is loving disturbing like nothing else. That story is NOT over yet either.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/rogueagent/

That one was tough to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There were a few I missed and somehow didn't get around to. I watched Fernando Nation the other night and while its pretty by the numbers I was kind of floored by that Johnny Carson joke.

Which was something like "I hear there may be a baseball strike...and Reggie Jackson is already offering Valenzuela a job to be his gardner."

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
So the second 30 for 30 short is on everyone's favorite politican

Not really the kind of topic you'd expect but that's what we all love about these-different stories told through different perspectives.

wikipedia posted:

Arnold's Blueprint

Arnold Schwarzenegger's teenage years in the Austrian Army. The film focuses on the years before he was the "Universe's Perfect Specimen," when a young Schwarzenegger seized upon an opportunity to use the sport of bodybuilding to catapult himself to international stardom. The short documentary will show how the young Austrian farm boy's mandatory military service played a critical role in his journey to international fame.

It's also directed by the Zimbalist brothers who did "The Two Escobars" so it should be a great watch. The whole thing is up on Grantland (about 12 and half minutes)

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8424161/the-first-short-new-30-30-documentary-series

VVV Yeah, I realized that upon further reading. Still fascinating though. And yes, the Pete Rose was first. Here's a list of all the shorts which will are either on Grantland or will be

Wikipedia again posted:

"Here Now" Eric Drath May 15, 2012
Interview with Pete Rose, Major League Baseball's all-time hits leader, at The Forum Shops at Caesars shopping center in Las Vegas where he signs autographs and other memorabilia, as employees act as barkers to lure shoppers into the store.

(see above)

"The Arnold Palmer" Barry Gordon
An exploration into the history, mystery and industry surrounding "The Arnold Palmer", the lemonade-and-iced tea beverage that has become a piece of Americana, created by retired pro golfer, Arnold Palmer.

"Holy Grail: The T206 Honus Wagner" Colin Barnacle and Nick Barnacle
The T206 Honus Wagner baseball card is over 100 years old, worth more than 2 million dollars, and has a life story that is a marriage of myth and reality. Only a handful have ever come to market but the wealth and heartbreak created by this two-inch-tall piece of paper is unimaginable. The T206 Honus Wagner: equal parts nightmare and fantasy.

"The Other Side" Vanessa Roth
When 18 children - nine from Palestine and nine from Israel - come together to form a kids soccer team, they come face-to-face with the other side for the first time in their lives. United by the common goals of teamwork and dedication to a shared purpose, they confront generations of fear head on. Is peace through sports really possible, or is it hopelessly naive to think that a handful of 12-year-old soccer players can begin to change their world?

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 27, 2012

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
That's actually the whole thing, not a preview. It's still pretty good though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Actually wasn't the first 30 for 30 short the one about Pete Rose?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

You know I was growing up in a small town in Austria and I wanted to lift weights and my dad said no you have to drive a tank but I wanted to dream big by being the biggest man in the world and no one else believed I could be the biggest man in the world they had never heard of the body buildings and the posing and all of those things, but I said no I am going to keep body building so I lifted the weights and trained with the army and all of that and then I won the contest and now I have a giant watch and was a governor and all of those things so believe and you can succeed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Billy Corben (who directed 'The U') is leading off this next round of 30 for 30 episodes beginning this Tuesday at 8 PM Eastern with 'Broke'. There are new episodes almost every Tuesday all month.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/09/27/first-look-at-a-football-life-1995-cleveland-browns/

This is going to loving own.

Also, a gently caress art modell is definitly in order.

Thanks for dismantling a super bowl quality team and shipping them to baltimore.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Everyone should watch this E:60 piece on Ben Petrick.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8421632

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

sportsgenius86 posted:

Everyone should watch this E:60 piece on Ben Petrick.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8421632

Wow. Definitely worth a watch.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd like to see more topics going back further in time. Just about every story has featured a post-1980 subject. Two of the tennis episodes went back into the 70s and the Steinbrenner one but that's about it.

The Dude Bro posted:

I think a great subject for a 30 for 30 documentary would be the Buffalo Bills four trips to the Super Bowl, and their four losses in the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't mind seeing that one either.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I watched The Dotted Line, and enjoyed it a bit. It wasn't great, but it held my interest, and the sequence where the young agent was watching the draft and just praying that a couple of his clients -- all of whom were marginal draftees -- would get picked. Other than that, rather forgettable, but not bad.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Zogo posted:

I'd like to see more topics going back further in time. Just about every story has featured a post-1980 subject. Two of the tennis episodes went back into the 70s and the Steinbrenner one but that's about it.

The original intent was to cover stories that had occurred in sports since ESPN's founding, so it's largely intentional. I'm sure now that they've expanded the "brand" a bit they'll be willing to do older stories.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
They should of rebranded it something else. 30 for 30 only makes sense in the context of 30 films for 30 years of being on the air.

Keep the same musical themes from the promos and visual style and narration (what if I told you...?) and call it ESPN Docs or something.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

davecrazy posted:

They should of rebranded it something else. 30 for 30 only makes sense in the context of 30 films for 30 years of being on the air.

Keep the same musical themes from the promos and visual style and narration (what if I told you...?) and call it ESPN Docs or something.

They did that and the ratings weren't as strong so they went back to 30 for 30.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A new 30 for 30 is on tonight: 'Broke' at 8 PM EDT on ESPN

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

my god this E:60 piece on the runner is the saddest thing ever.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This documentary owns though

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I thought this was going to be wall-to-wall "Here's how much money I made. Here's how I blew it like an idiot. Here's how I live now."

This has been 15 minutes of "Bling bling, dawg, bling bling."

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I thought this was going to be "Here's how much money I made. Here's how I blew it. Here's how I live now."

This has been 15 minutes of "Bling bling, dawg, bling bling."

I'm pretty sure we're gonna get to that

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Herm Edwards: Prophet of Common Sense.

"Don't have champagne tastes when you have beer money."

"How can you drive all those cars? You can't drive all those cars. You can only drive one car at a time."

Professor Funk posted:

I'm pretty sure we're gonna get to that

I don't doubt it. I guess I'm more used to the pace of To The Limit and June 17, 1994, which started out making you say "drat...".

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Andre Rison looks like Shaggy

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

sportsgenius86 posted:

Andre Rison looks like Shaggy

Yeah. When the police arrived to see his house on fire, Rison replied "It wasn't me". /badjoke

This is getting repetitive

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Holy poo poo the stolen tiger from hangover is true

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I have to say that Herm Edwards as the voice of reason is awesome.

"You buying champagne you but only got beer money. That's not good!"

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Andre Rison did not know taxes existed

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Holy poo poo they have to pay different state taxes on where the game is

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Bart Scott said "$12,000 in rent" so casually.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
put your furniture in plastic bubbles and let it float down river :laffo:

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Giant tomaters. He fell for a Simpsons science project

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Yeah if I was an agent or an advisor to an athlete I would literally sit them down and teach them about annuities for three hours.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

someone on twitter posted:

"See, it's a Jump to Conclusions mat, Rocket." - me bilking Raghib Ismail of his signing bonus #broke

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Ah Kingdoms of Amalur

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

38 Studios was a brilliant idea

I wonder if Curt Schilling will admit to being a complete rear end in a top hat here.

probably never

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

Giant tomaters. He fell for a Simpsons science project

There's tomatoes in everything. You know ketchup? There's tomatoes in ketchup!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
This is mostly depressing.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

soggybagel posted:

This is mostly depressing.

This is extremely depressing.

The mother sending a player the bill and a tie. :smith:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Never thought I'd say this, but Herm Edwards has a point in almost everything.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It's not surprising though given how many lovely and unscrupulous people there are out there. I'm not shuttering personal responsibility, but there are a lot of sharks out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Captain Tolerable posted:

Never thought I'd say this, but Herm Edwards has a point in almost everything.

Herm Edwards owns

Edit: Women :argh:

• Locked thread