Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The NBA does offer such orientation programs on financial education, but most players simply can't be bothered to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jack's Flow posted:

The NBA does offer such orientation programs on financial education, but most players simply can't be bothered to show up.

If I was just drafted after spending a year in college that I didn't want to spend in the first place, why the gently caress would I volunteer to go to another class?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Declan MacManus posted:

If I was just drafted after spending a year in college that I didn't want to spend in the first place, why the gently caress would I volunteer to go to another class?
I think they offer them every summer, for all the players, but I can't find the link right now. It was an article that basically said there were like four guys in the room, and one of them was Jason Kapono who had just signed his $24mil deal. He said (paraphrasing): "That's it, my big payday. I won't get another contract like that, so I have to be smart about it. Why do you need five cars, when you can only drive one?"

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

I found this a bit surprising, since I thought it was one of the worst 30 for 30s, but whatever.

"'Broke' ranks as the highest-rated 30 for 30 documentary yet, delivering a 1.9 HH cvg rtg and 2.7M viewers."

https://twitter.com/Sherman_Report/status/253931583998935040

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm DVRing Broke when it comes on again on Saturday.

I also saw Run Ricky Run for the first time the other day and :drat:

In case anyone doesn't know, recently (I'm not sure if they've been doing this for a while) but ESPN Classic shows 30-for-30's pretty much all drat day long. I've been watching a bunch of them this way.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Alpha3KV posted:

I really wonder why basic financial education is not something that is mandatory for everybody. Way too many people graduate with no real idea of how to use money wisely.

It's a skill that some have a hard time grasping. People can graduate with financial degrees and be highly educated but still reckless. I knew someone that was essentially a millionaire for a few months in the stock market game. Ended up losing most of it because they couldn't stop themselves.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

sportsgenius86 posted:

BallerAlert is a real thing

way to go America

This.

That site is the worst thing about the internet.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just caught a re-air of Broke and it was very tedious, could have been a podcast. And the background music was so repetitive and annoying. Probably the worst 30 for 30 I have watched which is a shame because The U was one of my favorites, and Cocaine Cowboys was really good too.

This was a lot of stuff I had heard before or the same story told different ways, just not a lot to it. Thought they interviewed far too many people and it was scattershot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I was surprised that during the segment about kids/women they managed to avoid any mention of Shawn Kemp and however many kids he has now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was surprised that during the segment about kids/women they managed to avoid any mention of Shawn Kemp and however many kids he has now.

IIRC, he owns a really popular cafe or something in Seattle and does fairly well for himself given what you'd expect.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

sportsgenius86 posted:

IIRC, he owns a really popular cafe or something in Seattle and does fairly well for himself given what you'd expect.

He kind of has to, those paternity payments must be a bitch. At least he was in the league long enough to make some money; Travis Henry's got to be screwed. Antonio Cromartie better hope he sticks around long enough too.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

please respond posted:

Just caught a re-air of Broke and it was very tedious, could have been a podcast. And the background music was so repetitive and annoying. Probably the worst 30 for 30 I have watched which is a shame because The U was one of my favorites, and Cocaine Cowboys was really good too.

This was a lot of stuff I had heard before or the same story told different ways, just not a lot to it. Thought they interviewed far too many people and it was scattershot.

Something about Corben's style and approach has always given off a vibe of amateur hour as far as his graphics packages and other things. It's weird because I thoroughly enjoyed the U and found Cocaine Cowboys entertaining enough. But it just gives off this very cheap vibe for whatever reason.

I agree on the level that Broke got a bit tedious. It would have been better off in my opinion if they focused on one or two athletes and really delved in to how they thoroughly hosed up. So many "oh man I want to know more" moments but they're already bouncing along to another anecdote.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Travis Henry is currently in jail, so he's got bigger problems than baby mamas. He got popped for cocaine trafficking, and plead down to 3 years in federal jail.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Travis Henry is currently in jail, so he's got bigger problems than baby mamas. He got popped for cocaine trafficking, and plead down to 3 years in federal jail.

He should be out by now, no?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

please respond posted:

I had a similar complaint about The U. The same casio-keyboard music bed was extremely repetitive and annoying. A shame that the director keeps using the same techniques. It's really distracting.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I dunno, I really like rakontur's stuff. They could stand to try a different composer but I think them looking amateurish on production values is made up by their consistent output and good storytelling.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SteelAngel2000 posted:

He should be out by now, no?

You're right, he would have gotten out this past July.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

sportsgenius86 posted:

Everyone should watch this E:60 piece on Ben Petrick.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8421632

drat. I remember when Petrick first came up, I wondered where he disappeared to. Thanks for sharing.
--

This most recent 30 for 30 was probably one of the weakest they've had, which (as others have mentioned) was disappointing since I really enjoy Corben's other docs. They could have cut down a few of the anecdotes and really dug into a select few guys. Bernie Kosar would have made an interesting show just by himself. Poor guy. :smith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The next 30 for 30, '9.79', is on tonight.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Oskar's, it's a bar and I live literally a block from it. He's there all the time and the Sonicsgate guys do their weekly radio show there.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Those are some big rear end books

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I was just thinking about this while reading some stuff about the new 30 for 30 and I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing one about Michael Phelps and his rivalries with Ian Crocker and Ryan Lochte. Just a theory, but I could see someone like Ed Burns and David Simon producing and directing it.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 16, 2012

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm so glad they used the Break It Up video

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm so glad they used the Break It Up video

It's gotta be the feed. Mine is doing the same thing too.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

screenwritersblues posted:

I was just think about this while reading some stuff about the new 30 for 30 and I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing one about Michael Phelps and his rivalries with Ian Crocker and Ryan Lochte. Just a theory, but I could see someone like Ed Burns and David Simon producing and directing it.

I would love to see a Phelps documentary that covered the time between the Beojing olympics and the London olympics.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That was really good IMO. Really expanded on something I knew about, but wasn't that familiar with.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

That was really good IMO. Really expanded on something I knew about, but wasn't that familiar with.

I agree. It's also the one that left me with the most unsettled feeling. Even the Best That Never Was at least showed Marcus Dupree finding some level of peace with his past. In this one everyone still seemed to be grappling with the decisions they made. And I got the very strong impression from the closing that Carl Lewis was dirty but they didn't catch it in 1988.

I also liked it as an allegory for the steroid era in baseball. If you don't take it you won't make it.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Perhaps my favorite 30 for 30. Really, go out of your way to check the Ben Johnson one out.

The tester going back on all the tests and stopping was pretty dumb. If Carl Lewis cheated (he probably did), why not let it out for history to know. You're the only one with access to the samples.

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

The tester going back on all the tests and stopping was pretty dumb. If Carl Lewis cheated (he probably did), why not let it out for history to know. You're the only one with access to the samples.

Thought the same thing what's the point of even bringing it up if you stopped and aren't going to share what you found. You just know he got to Lewis's sample and would be able to say whether he was clean or not.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

As an American with little firsthand knowledge on it, I would love to see a sports documentary about Maurice Richard and his connection to the Silent Revolution in Quebec.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Carl Lewis might have been clean, just judging by his progression in times from a young age. But its hard to say. And though that was such a dirty era, its worse now.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

screenwritersblues posted:

I was just think about this while reading some stuff about the new 30 for 30 and I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing one about Michael Phelps and his rivalries with Ian Crocker and Ryan Lochte. Just a theory, but I could see someone like Ed Burns and David Simon producing and directing it.

I want Burns and Simon to do a documentary about the annual East Baltimore vs West Baltimore hoops game.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I was actually a little disappointed in it. But perhaps that's a trend I've had with these. The more I know about a topic, the less likely I am to enjoy it. I guess my issue with it was that it didn't have an angle. Just sort of told the story. There were a lot of little things that got mentioned that could have been a great direction for it to go, but they never went down those paths and expanded on it.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Lewis was dirty, and the filmmaker shared his thoughts on it subtly with the whole braces thing then zooming in on Carl's smile when he had the braces.

There's no way Carl could compete on that level, to run second to BJ consistently and above everyone else, most if not all of whom were doping. Because of the money and fame though, Lewis has the most incentive to hold onto the lie, even through today.

My two takeaways from this doc were Lewis' tremendously horrible music video, and that insane start Johnson got off the blocks in the Seoul 100m. I watched it frame by frame and he threw both hands up in the air at the push-off when the rest of the guys only had one hand up, and took three of these lower, more streamlined steps when everyone else only had taken two steps. The race was effectively over 5 feet out of the blocks. Steroids aside, that was an epic exhibit of the human form.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I found 9.79 interesting. I liked that synthesizer music they used. Reminded me of the music they used when injecting Ivan Drago in Rocky IV.

ChampRamp posted:

He could've extorted all of the big-time athletes with somewhat of a reputation left. Very smart to hold onto the samples all those years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Even if he comes out with evidence against one of those guys, I doubt anything happens. They will claim that the samples were tainted or something. It's also kind of pointless now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Even if he comes out with evidence against one of those guys, I doubt anything happens. They will claim that the samples were tainted or something. It's also kind of pointless now.

Yea, I don't know how much it would matter to some athletes at this point. Is there a statute of limitations on taking someones medal away?

I still have a feeling some would be willing to pay to maintain their clean legacy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
gently caress I always wondered what happened to Ben Petrick...now I wish I hadn't found out, that's awful :smith:

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

gently caress I always wondered what happened to Ben Petrick...now I wish I hadn't found out, that's awful :smith:

Ben Petrick was in the booth for a few innings of a Rockies game last month. It was one of the most heart wrenching things I listened to in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn't it the testing guy who died in 2010, though? There was some note about that at the end of it. So I guess Carl Lewis is safe.

• Locked thread