Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Albinator posted:

Wasn't it the testing guy who died in 2010, though? There was some note about that at the end of it. So I guess Carl Lewis is safe.

No, I believe that it was the doctor that was giving athletes/Ben Johnson HGH/anabolics that died.

That testing guy was very much new footage. Carl Lewis would probably pay that man almost every penny he had to keep his legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't care at all about BMX racing or any sort of X-Games sports, but the Mat Hoffman doc was pretty cool.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ChampRamp posted:

No, I believe that it was the doctor that was giving athletes/Ben Johnson HGH/anabolics that died.
That was in 2006.

The guy who died in 2010 was Ben Johnson's coach who was the one in charge of the doping regiment.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Carl Lewis has always been ultra fake but holy crap I wanted to punch him after watching this.

However like others have said it really wasn't that great as there were few details and it was really disjointed.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Kevyn posted:

I want Burns and Simon to do a documentary about the annual East Baltimore vs West Baltimore hoops game.

Dear god, this would be amazing.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Kevyn posted:

I want Burns and Simon to do a documentary about the annual East Baltimore vs West Baltimore hoops game.

Bill Simmons, I have a proposition for you.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT

screenwritersblues posted:

Dear god, this would be amazing.

The Wire owns

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Demented Guy posted:

The Wire owns

I'm starting the last season tomorrow and seriously, it does. It has the be the best written TV show ever in the history of Television. If you haven't watched it, then by all means do and watch the story lines unfold.

Also tonight is There's No Place Like Home.

Wikipedia posted:

On December 10, 2010, Sotheby’s auctioned off the most important historical document in sports history: James Naismith's original rules of basketball. There’s No Place Like Home is the story of one fan’s obsessive quest to win the artifact at auction and bring the rules "home" to Lawrence, Kansas, where Naismith coached and taught for more than 40 years.

This one seems that it could be interesting, but then again if it goes the wrong way, it's going to be boring.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a list of future ones? I know Benji is coming up which sounds great. Saw some rumors about one being made about Maurice Clarrett which I think would be interesting too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Is there a list of future ones? I know Benji is coming up which sounds great. Saw some rumors about one being made about Maurice Clarrett which I think would be interesting too.

The next two are Benji and Ole Miss integration, then a Bo Jackson one the night of the Heisman presentation.

The rest aren't scheduled yet but the extended preview showed Hagler-Hearns, Kerrigan-Harding, Clarett and Valvano's title team

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'll be really disappointed if the Clarett doc isn't called "The Galloping Goose."

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
Tonight's 30 for 30 only runs until 9:10, so as not to conflict with the debate.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

This is a real weird format, it's kind of uncomfortable

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Niwrad posted:

Wait I already saw Benji on Comcast On Demand. Why would they make it available before it aired?

cheeeeesecake
Aug 16, 2003
Yeah this guy is a douche. As a KU fan, I'm really enjoying all the interviews with past coaches/players though.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
The dude is kind of a douche for sure but it's cool that he was able to get in touch with so many prominent KU alumni. It's really pretty crazy.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Good God I thought this guy was down for just a million bucks

E: also why was that guy burying his face in a piece of paper

hitze fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 17, 2012

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Man, I knew the outcome of this, but I was still sweating that auction scene.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This one sucked. And if you don't care about KU basketball it sucks even more.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
What if I told you about a superfan loser with a dumb idea?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought that was the worst 30 for 30 they've done. Maybe after the Penn State stuff I find the super diehard college fan who treats a game and its figure as Gods to be creepy. But otherwise, it wasn't all that interesting. What it came down to was convincing one rich guy to bid a lot for the paper that I don't think many people in the sports world knew existed.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

gret posted:

Wait I already saw Benji on Comcast On Demand. Why would they make it available before it aired?

This man is correct...what the gently caress?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Benji was in the Tribeca Film Festival, IIRC, and Tribeca has deals with certain cable providers to show entries on demand.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I swear the guy who wrote the voice-over for the little league documentary had some sort of bet about how many awful, over-wrought cliches he could force out of a gravelly-voiced actor. I dare you to get more than 15 minutes into it without getting incredulous that those sentences are happening to you.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I swear the guy who wrote the voice-over for the little league documentary had some sort of bet about how many awful, over-wrought cliches he could force out of a gravelly-voiced actor. I dare you to get more than 15 minutes into it without getting incredulous that those sentences are happening to you.

That one bothered me because they filmed every face way too close. It was kind of comical.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This Benji doc is awesome so far but I can't get past how much one of his teammates looks like Beetlejuice from Howard Stern

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

This Benji doc is awesome so far but I can't get past how much one of his teammates looks like Beetlejuice from Howard Stern

I liked it, but I didn't care for the "he was Magic Johnson with a jumper" quote that I've seen repeated over and over again on Twitter. Magic HAD a jump shot. A good one, in fact. May not have been the prettiest to look at, but the ball went in the hole.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

JT_Dutch posted:

I liked it, but I didn't care for the "he was Magic Johnson with a jumper" quote that I've seen repeated over and over again on Twitter. Magic HAD a jump shot. A good one, in fact. May not have been the prettiest to look at, but the ball went in the hole.

Magic was among the best at putting things in holes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
HOw loving depressing.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Frot Lesnar posted:

Magic was among the best at putting things in holes.

If anything, too good at putting things in holes.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Did anyone watch "Ghosts of Ole Miss?" Goddamn, that was shocking. I knew it was bad in Mississippi during the Civil Rights Era, but a campus-wide riot?

:stare:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Did anyone watch "Ghosts of Ole Miss?" Goddamn, that was shocking. I knew it was bad in Mississippi during the Civil Rights Era, but a campus-wide riot?

Yeah I finally caught it on my DVR today. I was really surprised how honest a lot of the people they interviewed were (Although they didn't find anyone who was still against segregation and I'm sure those people are out there).

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
For some reason I kept getting the feeling in the Ole Miss doc that the tone was supposed to be "look at how we persevered despite the big bad yankees trying to take our heritage away" - it's likely that a majority of the team's players were on the same side as the students and governor, but they tried to frame it in a way which made it seem like the all-white football team was the entity under the most duress at the time.

The black student was badass though, dressed up like a black Tom Wolfe. Decent doc, but the angle felt askew for the whole hour.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I didn't sense that. I found it almost apologetic in tone. And it does clearly state that the tensions that led to the 1962 riot are still simmering beneath the surface.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Dr_Strangelove posted:

I haven't seen the 30 for 30 piece, but yes.

Lots of places had riots to varying degrees, though Ole Miss was probably the worst. At least for a college campus. Georgia was a bit wild, then calm, then students got upset over being beaten again by Georgia Tech in basketball and started an on-campus riot, heading for the dorms where the two black students were staying (UGA's old basketball stadium was much closer to the dorms than Stegeman is now). Alabama had problems galore to the point the first black students had to withdraw.

Mississippi's the only one I can immediately think of that had on-campus murders, though, over integration.

Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff do a pretty good job chronicling the era in The Race Beat. There's a chapter devoted to just that night at Ole Miss.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
When I was watching it I couldn't help but feel the sports parts of it seemed a little bit tacked on. While it did make the point that the football team gave the students something to unite around other than hating the black guy, I couldn't really ignore that in historical context a perfect season was about the least important thing happening at Ole Miss that year.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

The timing for that 30 for 30 is...perfect
http://www.wmctv.com/story/20025451/riots-brew-on-ole-miss-campus

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

So I don't really know where else to post this because it's just one video, so this thread seemed like the best fit. Every once in a while I'll re-watch this video because it's probably one of the best things ESPN has ever done, in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK-l0dEvfWg

I get chills every time I watch it. It just strikes that perfect chord of why sports are the best and I really love it a lot so I wanted to share.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

kidcoelacanth posted:

So I don't really know where else to post this because it's just one video, so this thread seemed like the best fit. Every once in a while I'll re-watch this video because it's probably one of the best things ESPN has ever done, in my opinion:

I get chills every time I watch it. It just strikes that perfect chord of why sports are the best and I really love it a lot so I wanted to share.

Haha Lance.

Also I like how "am I part of the disease" includes Randy Moss jokingly mooning packers fans along with steroid users and brawling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Cool video, though it pains me slightly that one of the two glimpses we get of my favorite league (MLS) is my team getting knocked out of the playoffs by the most hated player for our most hated rival on a goal that probably shouldn't have counted.

• Locked thread