Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think "The Marinovich Project" is vastly underrated. Rarely see it talked about but I thought it was one of the best. I knew some of the story going in but the ending really took me by surprise. Thought the emotion from the Father and Son talking about one another was as genuine as you could get.

soggybagel posted:

I think ESPN didn't get enough heat for some of their more half baked 30 for 30's.

I agree and think the ones where the league got involved ended up getting watered down. Love the concept of just giving a talent 60-120 minutes and telling them to go with it. Anytime a league gets that involved in it there is going to be some bias.

Some of the early ones were ones I didn't like. The Gretzky one felt too long and I really didn't care about the Baltimore Colts band. Love the Two Escobars though.

Lance Armstrong would be a great one someday. I think one that tackles retired football players and how the game has damaged their mind and body would be fascinating (although the NFL would never allow it). Tim Donaghy and the 1972 Gold Medal Mens Basketball Game would be great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are the HBO docs part of HBOGO? Been teetering on the fence about getting HBO and that might take me over the edge.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I remember hearing about it a long time ago. Dug this up that sheds some light on it.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1997-07-13/sports/9707120935_1_dennis-scott-camp-explicit-lyrics

Here is some video too :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPXdBQmelWE

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 15, 2012

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I was actually a little disappointed in it. But perhaps that's a trend I've had with these. The more I know about a topic, the less likely I am to enjoy it. I guess my issue with it was that it didn't have an angle. Just sort of told the story. There were a lot of little things that got mentioned that could have been a great direction for it to go, but they never went down those paths and expanded on it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a list of future ones? I know Benji is coming up which sounds great. Saw some rumors about one being made about Maurice Clarrett which I think would be interesting too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought that was the worst 30 for 30 they've done. Maybe after the Penn State stuff I find the super diehard college fan who treats a game and its figure as Gods to be creepy. But otherwise, it wasn't all that interesting. What it came down to was convincing one rich guy to bid a lot for the paper that I don't think many people in the sports world knew existed.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If Bo had been healthy and fully committed to football, what kind of numbers do you guys think he could have put up? Tough to project longevity, but he'd have made runs at the single season rushing record on a regular basis, right?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nice Davis posted:

Am I the only one that thought "Pony Excess" was kinda crap? For the amount of actually interesting information it imparted, it could have been chopped down at least a half hour.

I thought it was OK. They seem to have a lot that just give a detailed look at a topic. No angle to it, just here is what happened and here are some people talking about it. That works on stories that are not well known like Marcus Dupree, but leave me bored on one's I did know like Len Bias.

My favorites have been the documentaries that took a unique angle. Two Escobars, No Crossover, and the Marinovich Project are examples of that. I really wish more would go down that route.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The docs that are filtered through the league office aren't that great. This would have been fine for NBA TV and I would have watched. But they shouldn't put this stuff under the "30 for 30" umbrella. Not sure how you can put out something like Hillsborough which digs deep into a topic and doesn't hold back and follow it up with a puff piece that avoided mentioning things the league found troubling.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

NBC should do one where they ask Isiah about shaving points and telling everyone Magic was gay.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought the trophy one was OK mainly because I'm a dumb American who didn't know any of the history of it.

Not 30 for 30 related but is "One Night in Turin" any good for a soccer documentary? Netflix keeps recommending it to me after watching the 30 for 30 soccer ones.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

I actually watched it, and it's fine if you like Gary Oldman feverishly narrating 1990 World Cup highlights, video of English people getting teargassed, game footage intercut with filmed soccer impersonators' knees, and Maximum Gazza.

You had me at English people getting teargassed.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The next batch of 30 for 30 was announced. Sounds like some real good topics. I'm looking forward to all of them.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

There's a good Real Sports piece on this.

It sucks that HBO GO doesn't carry more than a handful of Real Sports episodes. There is also an Air Disasters/Mayday episode on the KHL crash and all the problems with the airline.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They will never do a 2002 WCF or Donaghy one as long as they have a TV deal with the NBA. 10 cent beer night and Disco Demolition would make great Shorts. Also thought Paul Caligiuri's "Shot Heard Round the World" would make a fascinating story and what it meant for soccer in this country.

I have liked most of the 30 for 30's, even on topics I didn't like. The only bad ones are the one's where the league is involved in producing it and it turns into a fluff piece (Bad Boys for instance).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I didn't like the San Francisco Earthquake one. It's better when they pick an angle for the story and go in-depth. This was just a general overview of the event. No real insight into what happened behind the scenes or anything.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Looking forward to watching Brothers in Exile. My brother said it was great and it's sitting on the DVR.

Did anyone find the Boz one sort of weird? I mean the scenes in the storage locker seemed really staged. His story is interesting and they got some great people involved for interviews, but felt like scenes from a reality show where you know everything is fake. This in contrast to the Marinovich one that I thought was phenomenal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If you have WWE Network there is a great doc on WCCW that covers the Von Erichs extensively. It's actually really good and sad.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It actually makes their Gold even more impressive. Now you can play like garbage early in pool play and get lucky in the medal round. Back then you had to be on the entire tournament. I sort of like the old system better.

Just looking back through old results, does anyone know why Canada didn't compete in 1972 and 1976?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

After watching that and seeing "The Stomp" again, it seems to be blown way out of proportion. He wasn't even close to stomping down with full force. It was a dick move but not one intended to injure. Jalen acting like he'd be thrown out of college basketball was kind of silly.

Not one of the better 30 for 30's but was interesting.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

30 for 30 on the Duke Lacrosse Scandal starts in an hour. It's long.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Another crazy thing about that Duke case is how many of the reporters who were incompetent in their coverage still work for major news outlets today. Goes to show where that industry is today.

I'm also really excited about the Penny-Shaq 30 for 30 coming up. I hope they do it well.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's just weird that a lot of those reporters went on to have careers. Like ESPN and SI fought over getting Selena Roberts and the Times didn't fire her. Duff Wilson not only got hired by Reuters but also went on to actually teach Journalism at Columbia. These are people who wrote for the New York Times. How incompetent do you have to be before it actually starts hurting your career?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Which reminds me: I want a 30 For 30 on Dick Trickle.

just because

Sounds like he owned pretty hard.

quote:

He was also widely noted for having drilled a hole in his safety helmet so that he could smoke while racing, and for installing cigarette lighters in his race cars.[24] Trickle was allowed by NASCAR to smoke in the race car during yellow flag periods, and in the 1990 Winston 500 (now the Aaron's 499), Trickle was seen on live television by the in-car camera lighting up and smoking a cigarette.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ego symphonic posted:

IIRC they're the team that defeated the Permian Panthers of Friday Night Lights fame in the Texas state title game. They were insanely stacked with talent. I think like 9+ guys got D1 scholarships and several went on to play in the NFL. They were also involved in a variety of scandals related to academic fraud to make players eligible and the team's eligibility for that title game is still controversial. Seems like fertile grounds for a cool documentary.

Bunch of guys on the team also got busted doing armed robberies and went to jail right after the season. It was a huge deal in the town. Jessie Armstead was I think the best player on that team.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Holy poo poo yes!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has there been a good book on the XFL written yet?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Considering how much 30 for 30 content there is now, plus all the other poo poo ESPN does, you'd think they'd integrate a Netflix-type element into WatchESPN.

Yeah, WatchESPN is a cool idea but the implementation is a hunk of poo poo. For a company that usually is out in front of stuff from a technology standpoint, they seem so far behind in this area.

They've got over 100 of the 30 for 30's now. They could easily throw up a bunch of the Outside the Lines and E:60's. Even a week or so worth of their shows like Pardon the Interruption and First Take. I know the On Demand stuff is harder when it comes to sports programming, but they have done a bunch of stuff that stands the test of time.

Worth noting that OJ Made in America is available on Watch ESPN. That's the only one I see though.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One of the other cool things about 30 for 30 is that it spawned a bunch of other docs non-ESPN outlets. Heck, I even sort of like the Football Life docs on NFL Network.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DVR is set. Still so much merchandise from that league on Ebay.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/829377843243139073

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like the XFL doc could have been much longer and done in multiple parts. So many stories they left out like the Honda debacle. How do we get James Andrew Miller to write an oral history on it?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

algebra testes posted:

Something happened with Honda and Vince wanted to give them poo poo on the air, which everyone at NBC told them no way because Honda was a big time NBC sponsor in general. Eventually Vince got King to say something like "They were as unreliable as a Civic" or something like that and he got in serious poo poo for it because Vince always gotta Vince.

Honda pulled their ads from the XFL saying the league wasn't what they were promised. Vince decided as retribution he was going to blow up a Honda at the 50 yard line during the halftime of a telecast. NBC obviously said no loving way since Honda was one of their biggest advertisers. They even sent out a stern letter to everyone on the telecasts not to trash the sponsors. Well the next week Lawler made the "unreliable" comment about Honda after a missed FG. Honda was furious with NBC who in turn was furious with Vince.

Now the aftermath is a bit murky (which is why we need an in-depth book about this league). NBC apparently wanted Lawler not only fired from doing XFL games but also from WWE. They needed to show Honda that this was a rogue announcer who did this. Vince didn't want to flat out fire Lawler since he likely put him up to it so he fired his wife from WWE (The Kat) which caused Jerry to walk out. Vince then went back to NBC and told them the situation was handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Akileese posted:

Well he did the SNL one so he definitely has access to the NBC side of things if he really wanted to do it. I'm not quite sure he can get access to the WWE people though. WWE likes to make life hell for people who talk poo poo about them and their failed projects and I'm willing to bet a lot of the people who worked on the production side from WWE are still with the company today. You're not going to get anything good out of them. The XFL is a weird one to me as far as length goes. I don't think it fits the standard 700 page James Andrew Miller oral history length, but it definitely deserved more than what it got from 30 for 30. Maybe a 3 part mini series where each was an hour long?

This is probably true. I just listened to an interview with Charlie Ebersol and he said the only reason Vince gave him access was because Vince trusted his father. You'd need to get access to so many people that still work for Vince.

The interview also soured me on the 30 for 30 a bit more. Charlie alludes to the generator not having gas in it as a conspiracy to sabotage the league. He keeps trying to imply the failure was mostly about bad luck. Blames the marketing for people thinking the XFL wanted to be more violent than it was. Claims that the former coaches they hired to make the rules made it favor the defenses too much which hurt the game. Fact is the league was DOA because this country doesn't treat minor league sports seriously. It was a dumb idea from the start.

• Locked thread