Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'd really love to see one of these on Can-Am racing back in the day. It matched the rise and fall of the 1960's perfectly, and that would be an excellent backdrop contrast to it. Basically a sports car series similar to the Le Mans cars of the day started up, the Canadian-American Challenge Cup, Can-Am for short. Based on the idea of Group 7 designated FIA racing sprint or hillclimb racers, it was an almost unrestricted class of race car.

It started innocently enough in 1966, basically European chassis with American V8's, mostly, but run of the mill V8's making maybe 500hp. By the late 60's power had become obscene, the V8's were massive and the cars were cartoons with active aerodynamics. By 1973 Porsche had swooped in with an invincible car making 1,500hp in qualifying trim. The competition buckled, costs were unmanageable, and then the oil crisis hit, killing it off.

Throw that story up against the idealism of the counter culture movement in 1966 when it starts, through to the Manson killings/Kent State/Altamont (racing tie in!), and end on the Penske/Porsche and 70's gently caress you got mine attitude contrast.

That would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Tim Richmond: To The Limit is on Netflix now. I highly suggest anyone with even a passing interest in NASCAR or auto racing watch it. He's widely considered in NASCAR circles to be one of the best racers ever, but he died young, one of the first big names to die of AIDS. Before his death, NASCAR tried to railroad him as a junkie, because he was a feathered hair having, speedo wearing Hollywood playboy in a land of rednecks, and he whipped their asses.

It's whitewashed some by NASCAR, but his story alone is incredible. Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder was loosely based on him.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Kyle Petty is a stand up dude in that

Richard Petty is extremely punchable

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Niwrad posted:

Sounds like he owned pretty hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fB1IcTD48

here's a short documentary on him, warning, depressing as gently caress

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- The most annoying thing about To The Limit is Bill France Jr's admission that HHRMPH, well, the drug test results may have been a bit skewed. :fuckoff:

For emphasis, the second link Viking posted is a FOX/FS1-produced, 30-For-30-style short on Dick Trickle which is the ultimate bio on him so far.

Warning: It starts with his suicide call to 911.

Yeah, this. Like I said, it's depressing as hell.

Most people know Dick Trickle through his name (thanks SportsCenter) and this commercial.

What most people don't know is he won something like 1,200 races before he made it to NASCAR, and is likely the best paved short track racer to have ever lived. I wish I could have seen him race in those days, as my local dirt track is home to perhaps the best dirt driver, Brett Hearn, who is approaching 900 wins, including a bit over 300 at my home track alone, which is a record no one, paved or dirt, will ever touch. It would have been nice to see both instead of one.

Dick Trickle was a national treasure.

e- this is totally not a 30 for 30, but here's a documentary they made when I was a little kid focusing on then young upstart Brett Hearn and centered on my local track, if anyone would like to know about him.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 2, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kevyn posted:

Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia are furiously calling ESPN begging to be included in this.

in a twist of fate they are, but the whole thing is a dramatization and they are played by Jim Norton and Sam Roberts

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

algebra testes posted:

Wasn't there meant to be a mike and the maddog 30 for 30?

sadly this is as close as we'll get

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJIML2F53I

I would honestly much, much, much rather watch a pre game show hosted by O and A over the HORRIBLE pregame shows at CBS and Fox.

Stunned Comedy Central hasn't tried to do something similar with like Florentine, Norton and others.

Comedy Central had a panel show filled with O&A comics and it failed as spectacularly as you'd figure it would

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the terrible secret is the only good sports show was late-90's Scott Ferrall and that was because he was high as gently caress

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Michael Jordan's suspension was steroid related, SAS had an excellent thread on it awhile ago

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if you have archives you can relive this proud moment in sports journalism

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the XFL was amazing to watch, but for all the wrong reasons

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I am upset there is no Opie and Anthony in it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
he's a legit football nut so that wasn't particularly jarring

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Jesse Ventura in the booth and fuckin' Stephanie on the sidelines were probably bigger broadcasting sins

e- goddamn the XFL was extra terrible in retrospect, I never really gave it much thought before

by all accounts, it should have succeeded in America

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you should always run the score up because gently caress The Other Team

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Obligatory good sportsmanship should stop at the high school level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Your Taint posted:

So college and pro level sports fans shouldn't clap for an injured player as he leaves the field?

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's just basic human empathy and far removed from something like running up the score or doing an elaborate touchdown dance.

what he said

• Locked thread