Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
There's been no golf other than Arnold Palmer in the 6/17/94 doc, getting away from Tigermania, Casey Martin v. PGA Tour could be interesting and give guys like Jack and Arnold a chance to walk back what they said at the time. Plus there is a Tiger connection with both attending Stanford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Latest 30 for 30 short up, on Muhammad Ali's trip to Iraq to bargain with Saddam Hussein to release U.S. prisoners before Desert Storm began.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8849155/the-latest-offering-new-30-30-documentary-series

It's not bad, but it's one sided with "Look how great this thing Ali did" and only a brief mention what consequences there could have been had things gone sour. Still worth watching.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

TUS posted:

A bunch of 30 for 30's went up on Netflix instant watch. A couple of the recent ones too, I saw Broke and Benji listed along with some originals like Straight Outta LA.

Just watched Broke. Had one eye on the TV and one eye on my Mint account the entire time. Please tell me I'm not the only one who did that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I thought the Manning one was an SEC deal, since they've been cranking out their own docs.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Twitter account of someone who was there. Going through his experiences now and it's obvious he's deeply affected by the tragedy.

https://twitter.com/TonyEvansTimes

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bliggers- posted:

I'm extremely disturbed having watched this.

That was a very, very angry documentary. A number of films in the series have been about tragedy, but take on a more somber, reflective tone and somewhat ask "what if" during the presentation. That's not the case here; there's a slow burn that builds as a horrible event happens and the coverup becomes worse than the crime, and it rises and rises until the whole "Justice For the 96" chant that's just two decades of righteous anger, fury, rage pouring out.

There's no comparison for what's occurred here in the States. We've had fans fall to their deaths and kill each other and get into fights with the athletes and poison trees, but never on such a scale and where they would be held responsible in a situation where it wasn't their fault.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

Total homer post here, but I'd love to see a 30-for-30 on the '95 Mariners and the whole context surrounding that season.

The M's were practically left for dead around the mid-90s, with the Kingdome crumbling and no new stadium deal coming along any time soon. Their '95 run revived baseball passion in the city in a way we haven't seen in a long time, and went a long way towards securing the deal for Safeco Field. The M's were hot poo poo from 95-01 and we had guys like Griffey, Randy, Edgar and Ichiro, who became national mainstream superstars from a team long starving for marketable talent.

The Mariners' odd history (from laughingstock to hot trendy team to Japanese favorites back to laughingstock) could make for a compelling doc, especially now that it looks like they've finally unfucked themselves and are contending for the playoffs again.

I once had a film idea that showed how the Mariners '95 run directly led to the Sonics being stolen, but Sonicsgate pretty much covered everything well enough and no one big is touching that while David Stern lives.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
ESPN's airing a film on electronic football right now? :psyduck:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

It's basically part of a series of shorts on eccentric sports fans. It's alright. Apparently that tabletop football still gets made because I saw it at Games by James in the Mall of America on Wednesday.

I assume this one's titled Midwest.mov?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The Two Escobars and 6/17/94 are two that I would show to anyone, regardless of their sports fandom and/or lack thereof. Both should be watched before you do anything else and this includes eat, sleep or poo poo.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
straight cash homie

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If there's any justice in the world it'll be the day before the Super Bowl.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

tadashi posted:

Especially given what we know about the long term effects of football injuries and all the safety precautions they eliminated.

Like catching passes from Tommy Maddox and Jim Druckenmiller.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

Remember how awesome "OJ: Made In America" was?

Well ESPN is going to follow that up with.......... A multi-part documentary on Chicago Bears fans.

:confused:

I'd watch a multi-part documentary on Bill Swerski's Superfans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't know why the point of comparison is OJ, considering they do a lot of documentaries and it's not the same people.

Because all of their previous documentaries were self-contained, with the moderate exception of The U. OJ was a magnum opus and deserving of the five parts, it's the Ken Burns' Baseball of our time. Now we get an eight-part documentary of a team's fanbase for reasons of........?

It's not just wondering why this doc needs to exist, but why it needs/demands to be in eight parts. Unless it's like ten minutes a pop, why is this being done and why is it being done in this way?

• Locked thread