Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Pony Excess and Once Brothers were both good.

The one that I can't turn off though is Unmatched. It covers probably one of the most fascinating athletes ever Martina Navratilova and her rivalry/friendship with Chris Evert. Watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

I'd love to see one on cheating/rule bending in NASCAR. Basically make it a 90 minute documentary on Smokey Yunick.

Smokey Yunick isn't a story about cheating in Nascar. Its about finding any possible way to sidestep any rule. If he was a general he would find ways around the loving Geneva Convention. He is his own documentary. He cheated in sports car, open wheel. Dude probably cheated in a loving lawn mower race.

Smokey Yunick was awesome.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Also, one on "The Split", and it's impact on motorsport in the US.

This would be great. I even have the name.

"gently caress Tony George".

Something that might be good is one on College Football where it goes into the deals that lead to FSU playing Savannah State, Alabama playing Western Kentucky High School or who ever the gently caress that is. And not just be a "D1 teams use it to pad their schedule". Go into the money, the administration push, the NCAA's allowance of it. Get into the business and the underhanded poo poo that I am sure is going on.

I would also like to see one done on the sports books/wise guys and how they build lines, what they use to adjust. The real inside decisions. Not a layman's version.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

Frankly I'd just love to see more racing documentaries.

I would like to see one on the discussion/development/retarded thought process, then eventual fall out from the COT.

Followed by a 30 for 30 about the new Indy Car.

So we can see just how loving incompetent NASCAR is.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Chlorine posted:

It is still too early but I think there could be a very good 30 for 30 about Lance Armstrong eventually.

Into the Wind and Once Brothers were my favourites because they felt the most meaningful to the wider world.

My problem with anything about Lance Armstrong is it will be nothing but vitriol about how he cheated in a sport where literally everyone who is competitive is cheating.

All of his work for cancer/charity attention will be a foot note. The inspirational/motivational contributions will be ignored.

Basically its going to be the same as a 30 for 30 about the steroid era in baseball where the poo poo all over the players and omit how those same players were the reason why baseball managed to get viewers/fans back.

Edit:

swizz posted:

I don't know if you've watched Senna, but the whole documentary is amazing. I will never forget the San Marino Grand Prix, definitely one of the formative sports moments of my life.

Senna was really good if you were a Senna fan. But in fairness, they presented him in nothing but a positive light. They didn't show that he could be just as political and underhanded as Prost. But thats cool by me since gently caress Prost.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 7, 2012

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

swizz posted:

I basically agree, and I was Senna fan when I was younger. I do think they implicitly acknowledged his hypocrisy to a certain extent, and his tendency to become unhinged was depicted through footage if not commentary or interviews (and I did feel as though they weren't particularly enthusiastic to speak ill of the dead, since the film ultimately culminates in a tragedy). It is admittedly for the fans and, from the outset, not an unbiased treatise on the state of Formula One at the time.

Absolutely. I was a Senna fan too, but they did kinda Jesus-fy him, which wasn't entirely accurate.

Something that bothered me about it, and the same thing with Dale, was they never went into the engineering/mechanical issues that led to the accident. A dude got convicted of manslaughter over Senna's death. His car hit an unprotected barrier in Tamburello corner. The day after Ratzenberger died hitting an unprotected barrier. There was a lot of important poo poo they left out. It was crash, "if the suspension was 6 inches in any direction he would have lived", cut to funeral. Dale ended with crash , seatbelt broke, roll credits.

Whole lot of important details left out there.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

There's been no golf other than Arnold Palmer in the 6/17/94 doc, getting away from Tigermania, Casey Martin v. PGA Tour could be interesting and give guys like Jack and Arnold a chance to walk back what they said at the time. Plus there is a Tiger connection with both attending Stanford.

I think you are much more likely to see the desegregation or the allowance of women at Augusta. Which would be interesting if you could actually get access to the resistance side. Because you are joking yourself if you think any of them are going to, on camera, say anything other than "upholding tradition".

Frankly if they get into golf I want to see one on Payne Stewart.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

For those of you who didn't know..

There is a 30 for 30 marathon today. Poney Excess is on now, Followed by Ghosts of Ole Miss then Broke.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

barkingclam posted:

Didn't HBO do a documentary on that NC State team? I feel like I watched a documentary on them already, but I forget where. I'll watch this new one anyway.

Also, I didn't see this posted, but ESPN is doing a 30 for 30 spinoff called Nine for IX, a series of nine documentaries by female directors.

The Pat Summit doc has a chance to be loving amazing.

I assume most have an idea of her story, but if you don't, she is a cross between Bob Knight and Clint Eastwood.

But they missed the boat by not doing something on Shirley Muldowney/Janet Guthrie/Lyn St James, given ESPN's hard on for Danica Patrick.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

shyduck posted:

I wish somebody would do a doc about how much of a oval office Brian France is

No one is going to watch that. And a Wendell Scott 30 for 30 would be white washed more than the Richmond one was.

On the other hand you have a whole lot of great things you could do with racing. Bill France vs the Teamsters, Bill France vs Petty and the drivers union, Senna's death and how someone went to prison for manslaughter, the split and what a douche bag Tony George is. The USAC/Champ car split. Anything about the Isle of Mann TT. The history of Le Mans, any part of it. I can not believe there isn't a 9X9 on Muldowney or Guthrie.

My point is there are hundreds of things in racing you could do, as long as NASCAR doesn't get their hands in it.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is the one I'd seriously love to see, and figure ESPN would do seeing as they're losing NASCAR but will still have IndyCar coverage through 2018.

ESPN wants out of racing, and honestly if they could get a viable offer from NBC and approval from IndyCar, they would drop racing and any mention of it in a god drat heartbeat. So its hard to see them even bothering with the effort of producing something pretty compelling.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Not one of you fuckers came up with UCI or APT?

Then there is Bernie Ecclestone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

algebra testes posted:

I'm watching Catholics v Convicts and I can't work it out. Like, it's entertaining me, but something is bugging me about this fan film about the rich white kids who really enjoyed it when Reagan spoke at their school getting revenge on those wild people from the poor university that beat 'em up at a football game previously.

Miami was not a poor university.

Miami was, is and always will be a university of insufferable fucks who won't shut up about how great they were running the score up on unranked teams because Jimmy Johnson was a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

gently caress Miami.

• Locked thread