Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I love Run Ricky Run and Once Brothers. I cried during Once Brothers, such an emotional film. And Run Ricky Run is all over the place, but that's kinda appropriate given how Ricky's life has been since he went pro.

It's funny, a friend of mine from Philly once said that the city never forgave Donovan McNabb for the fact that Philly didn't pick Ricky, picking Mcnabb instead. I always wondered if that was true or if it was just within that guy's social circle or what. Furthermore, it makes me wonder how Philly's ruthless fans would have responded to a guy who was perceived to be total headcase like Ricky was. That said, the film made me feel like I have a better understanding of Ricky as a person, and I basically feel like it's no longer fair to refer to Ricky as a headcase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Iverson never walked out on the team though. The worst he ever did was the whole "PRACTICE?!?!" debacle.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe a film about Marge Schott?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

barkingclam posted:

I think it'd be great if they did a 30 for 30 on the Punch up in Piestany. In a nutshell, it was a world junior hockey game between Canada and the USSR which got physical and descended into a giant brawl when the refs lost control of the situation, ending only when the arena staff turned out the lights. Both teams were kicked out of the tournament, costing Canada a medal.

But within a few years, a small tournament had became one of the biggest (and most overhyped) events on Canadian TV. Without the controversy over this brawl, the IIHF world juniors aren't any bigger than any other junior hockey tournament.

They could talk about how when Canada got home, Leafs owner Harold Ballard bought them gold medals because he felt the Russians started it. Which they did, and they got the poo poo kicked out of them. That brawl went a long way towards establishing our rep as a physical team you don't wanna gently caress with.

Speaking of Fleury, his situation with having been molested by his coach (alonside dozens of others, including Sheldon Kennedy), would be interesting if a film hadn't already been made.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Dude Bro posted:

I think a great subject for a 30 for 30 documentary would be the Buffalo Bills four trips to the Super Bowl, and their four losses in the Super Bowl. The emotional impact of such a both amazing and horrifying streak would be an interesting thing to look at. Plus all of the major athletic accomplishments that happened during that period, such as The Comeback.

Hello, maybe just do one on Scott Norwood's life from his missed kick onwards. That alone would be amazing.

To elaborate a bit, maybe a doc about people who choked at crucial moments and what it did to their lives/careers. Earnest Byner. Mitch Williams. Scott Norwood. Jean Van De Velde. Greg Norman. Leon Durham. Grady Little. The '99 Blazers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure the NFL rookie orientation includes a financial education thing but I could see some of the bigger names thinking they'll never need it. If you're a 19 year old kid who has 40 million guaranteed coming your way, I could very well understand why you'd feel that way, especially if you're successful. There's also the fact that you can't plan for family acting like you owe them...or your financial manager taking you for everything you're worth, like Mr.T's did.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Travis Henry is currently in jail, so he's got bigger problems than baby mamas. He got popped for cocaine trafficking, and plead down to 3 years in federal jail.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SteelAngel2000 posted:

He should be out by now, no?

You're right, he would have gotten out this past July.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
gently caress I always wondered what happened to Ben Petrick...now I wish I hadn't found out, that's awful :smith:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I welcome a sequel to "The U" simply because when the announcement came up on Facebook, a bunch of dumbasses proceeded to complain how it was glorifying "a bunch of trash talking punks".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm very interested in the Russian one. This ain't exactly a hot take, but I feel like the NHL was a poorer place from not being able to have some of the best Russians of the 70's and 80's. I sometimes wonder how many scoring titles Valery Kharlamov could have won, or how many Vezinas Tretiak could have won.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't Jessie also play for the U? Seems to play for controversial schools a lot if so...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If a person is not excited for this, they have not seen Vince try to half-assedly explain poor decisions

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

algebra testes posted:

I am still worried about WWE bullshit coming through but I am hopeful.

Beyond the Mat avoided it (and got condemned by WWE for it).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Akileese posted:

ESPN announced their next episode on George Best which is airing on 7/20. This is going to be really good.

http://awfulannouncing.com/films/espn-announces-george-best-30-30-will-air-july-20-shares-trailer.html

Oh man, he is ripe for documentary filmmaking.

Although I imagine there's at least one doc made by a UK resident about him, Best is considered the greatest UK footballer ever, isn't he?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Akileese posted:

He's up there but definitely one of the greatest dribblers to ever play. He pretty much quit high level competitive football at his peak (age 27) and then just turned into a globetrotter, playing in a bunch of random leagues like the NASL, Irish league, and Scottish league. He played for a couple more English teams throughout. The guy was way before my time so someone about ten years older than I might be able to shed more light on his career. All I've ever seen are clips. I just remember seeing this goal from his time in the NASL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8wGN5uDaVg

My favorite thing about him is there's a story where he used a feint on a PK to completely fool a goalie, and then this quote came out of it, bless the goalie's heart for having a sense of humour about it:

quote:

It's been a joke on the circuit ever since. You know, I'm on one side of the street, George Best is on the other. He nods to me and I dive under a bus.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Best is the one who basically drank a small country's GDP worth of alcohol on a regular basis right?

Yeah, it killed him in the end. He got a life saving operation to replace or repair a liver that the NHS paid for, then continued to drink afterwards and died at 59. I read up a bit on him and he was making PSA's towards the end urging people to not be like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I thought Ronaldinho played for a lot of teams in his twilight years, but goddamn, Best has him beat by a mile. From 1982 to 1984, he went from the US to Hong Kong to England to Australia to England to Australia to Northern Ireland. He played for multiple teams in different leagues in some of those stops as well.

Part of it was that he kept getting turfed for being an alcoholic or out of shape or both

• Locked thread