Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Depending on how much you know about Terry Fox Into the Wind is a good one. I knew nothing about him going in and it's just such a completely ridiculous/amazing/sad story.

I also liked Guru of Go (Paul Westhead/Loyola Marymount/Hank Gathers). Muhammad and Larry (Ali/Holmes fight in 1980) I enjoyed, but I'm a pretty big boxing fan.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Goetta posted:

I'm just starting through this series as well and the only ones I have seen are The U and Pony Excess. The stories and video clips from each were interesting but I wasn't really impressed with the actual storytelling/film-making part. Especially with Pony Excess, which kept doing really obnoxious foreshadowing "LITTLE DID THEY KNOW..." poo poo throughout the whole thing.

The parts where they just let the old video play and let the viewer just watch it as it happened back then are by far the best of each one. Like the obviously nervous SMU guys trying to lie about a letter on live tv or 'I ain't scared of you bitch'.

June 17, 1994 will take care of these complaints.

e: Literally no narration, 100% old footage

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 6, 2012

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- I guess it wasn't known at the time (or maybe it was because I saw the footage for the first time after the event actually happened), but did anybody at the time think OJ was REALLY going to kill himself or did people think it was "I'LL DO IT MAN! I'LL DO IT! YOU JUST WATCH..."?

I can't remember what I thought at the time (I was 17ish), but I do remember as I was watching the show wondering how OJ would be remembered if he did kill himself. Even if it came out after that he probably killed Nicole there wouldn't have been the huge spectacle of the trial educating everyone about just how guilty he was.

It seems weird now but he was damned near universally loved. Sure it was for superficial dumb things, but most of us didn't know about any trouble at all with Nicole and just thought of him as the amazing running back who was hilarious in the Naked Gun movies.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just recently watched The Real Rocky, and that was a pretty interesting study about fame and how it can be both a boon and a curse. I hadn't watched that one when it aired, since the airing schedule for the docs they made after the original 30 for 30 run was very random. I'm not sure how many people even saw this one.

poo poo I missed that? I'll have to track it down, I was pretty excited about it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe a film about Marge Schott?

You see she was good for baseball at first.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hello Towel posted:

The first sounds fascinating, and the other two have the potential to be awesome.

I will be incredibly disappointed if the one about Bo isn't amazing.

Hell, I'm just excited that I'll probably have a good source to link now for the time he threw out whoever it was from the wall from the left field wall. I look for that every once in a while and can't ever find it.

e: Oh I hope it is more about Bo the athlete and not about what he's done since he retired, I just read that part. Although I guess that could be interesting too it's not what I want.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 7, 2012

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ozymandius1024 posted:

and a doc on Bobby Fischer.

For whatever it's worth I enjoyed this one, although it was kind of more a history lesson in general to me. I don't even begin to know enough about chess to do anything but believe people when they talk about Fischer's brilliance.

Speaking of history lessons if we're branching out from the 30 for 30 stuff I really enjoyed Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson. It's by Ken Burns (Civil War, Baseball, other stuff), so if you dislike him you might not like it. And conversely if you like that type of thing you should like this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bernie was trying to keep his dad happy for fear of pissing him off. :(

Kosar's current girlfriend is a multi-millionaire from my hometown.

Word is she's not doing much better financially.

The whole Bernie thing was sad, I was :smith: every time he was on camera.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doctor Butts posted:

Granted, for his baseball career they at least had teammates. Even then, they showed only a few things. A few special hits. Good catches and runs.

Throwing out Harold Reynolds from the wall has always been my favorite Bo highlight. Probably because I was up late as a kid watching it on TV and the game was over, there was no doubt. And then that throw. Of course it would never stand up to the memories of a child but I was sort of disappointed that they didn't make a bigger deal out of it than they did anyway :shobon:

Also they did have Howie Long talking about him on the football side of things. Marcus Allen would have been the ultimate interview about Bo but I'm guessing he's still a little bitter about being basically benched (as an eventual hall of famer) for a part time player. Well asked to play fullback sort of rather than benched, but still sort of a waste of those years of his career.

GD_American posted:

I've been watching football since the early 80s and he was the best athlete I've ever seen in the NFL. Gigantic, fast, quick, and hit like a loving wrecking ball.

Again through the eyes of a kid at the time, but I've always thought he was Adrian Peterson except stronger and way faster.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This might be the first 30 for 30 I really dislike, although it has nothing to do with the production or story. It doesn't even really have to do with the subject. It's Bill Laimbeer being all over the place, and the knowledge of how it warms his awful heart knowing that people have this reaction.

Also Mitch Albom's hair is amazing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SpiritualDeath posted:

I wasn't even alive in 1992, but I sense the bit where they said "Kentucky wasn't supposed to be there and everyone was rooting for them" is bullshit. Confirm/deny?

Eh, deny a little bit. They were a good team, the type that can flush out early or go on a run. They went on a run.

Confirm for sure that most of the country was rooting for Kentucky in that game.

e: The thing that 30 for 30 got right (I agree with the people saying it was kind of all over the place) is that's where gently caress Duke really got started. There were plenty of reasons after that and a few before, but Laettner (and Hurley) really started most of it.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 16, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I'm excited about this if no one else is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Genocide Tendency posted:

Miami was not a poor university.

Miami was, is and always will be a university of insufferable fucks who won't shut up about how great they were running the score up on unranked teams because Jimmy Johnson was a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

gently caress Miami.

....oooookay.

On the other hand gently caress Notre Dame about a million times as much for the same reason over about a hundred coaches.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Funny story about the USFL, you know the owner who convinced them to to take the fatal step of moving to compete directly against the NFL, and thus sealed their demise?

A certain Donald J. Trump.

There's a 30 for 30 about that too. I might be remembering this wrong but I think he was proud of winning the lawsuit for 3 dollars?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Costas was on maximum smug mode in that documentary. I can't believe NBC let him take on McMahon like that.

Was he still with NBC then?

I guess he was always kinda with NBC because of the Olympics, but I thought the interview bit might have been on the HBO Costas show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

iWhat I mean by that is finding owners, players and coaches that pro football had been deemed to be "crazy". They had some interesting ideas in regards to rules, the overall attitude of the league, and being on a channel that wanted to have pro football, but had been burned by the NFL.

They had one eccentric owner in Vince McMahon...they needed more. They needed guys like Mark Cuban, and such to own teams, go after high priced NFL FA's, Collegiate players, etc.

How many of those guys are there? Or at least guys with actual money, I remember a few complete frauds who tried to buy teams.

Mark Cuban and possibly Rush Limbaugh (I don't know if he actually had the finances or not?) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

e: Well Trump too I guess.

• Locked thread