Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I have the first 30 on DVD and now that the others are coming out on Netflix Watch Instant, I guess that I'm going to have to marathon through them at on point and watch all of them.

soggybagel posted:

Also a friend of mine has an opportunity to possibly pitch some ideas to ESPN. What would a dream 30 for 30 be for you?

I would like to see one about Tony Hawk, maybe titled The Birth of Big Air Part II. He and Hoffman are two of people who helped bring their sports into mainstream. With them, BMX and skateboarding would still be fringe sports.

It's either that or the history of the X-Games, going back to how in all began with all the odd sports and how it got to where it is today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I was just thinking about this while reading some stuff about the new 30 for 30 and I have a feeling that we're going to be seeing one about Michael Phelps and his rivalries with Ian Crocker and Ryan Lochte. Just a theory, but I could see someone like Ed Burns and David Simon producing and directing it.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 16, 2012

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm so glad they used the Break It Up video

It's gotta be the feed. Mine is doing the same thing too.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Kevyn posted:

I want Burns and Simon to do a documentary about the annual East Baltimore vs West Baltimore hoops game.

Dear god, this would be amazing.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Demented Guy posted:

The Wire owns

I'm starting the last season tomorrow and seriously, it does. It has the be the best written TV show ever in the history of Television. If you haven't watched it, then by all means do and watch the story lines unfold.

Also tonight is There's No Place Like Home.

Wikipedia posted:

On December 10, 2010, Sotheby’s auctioned off the most important historical document in sports history: James Naismith's original rules of basketball. There’s No Place Like Home is the story of one fan’s obsessive quest to win the artifact at auction and bring the rules "home" to Lawrence, Kansas, where Naismith coached and taught for more than 40 years.

This one seems that it could be interesting, but then again if it goes the wrong way, it's going to be boring.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
You Don't Know Bo airs this coming Saturday.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Two more 30 for 30s have been announced for vol. II

First Advance and Survive:

quote:

A look at the 1982-83 NC State Wolfpack men's basketball improbable run through the ACC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament to win the championship.

It airs March 17th, which is also Selection Sunday, which is the start of the NCAA basketball tournament.

The second one is Elway to Marino:

quote:

A look at the six quarterbacks selected in the first round of the 1983 NFL Draft.

Advance and Survive seems really awesome and is perfectly timed for Selection Sunday.

Also, I'm starting to go through all the 30 for 30s, including the ones that are under the ESPN Films Presents banner. I'll be going in order and then writing a reaction to each one on a sports tumblr that I started working on. If all goes according to plan, then I should be done by the summer or at least I hope.

EDIT:

Also, after those two air, another round of films will be announced and will start airing in October.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 21, 2013

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
If sure hope they keep this going. The next set seems really good. I'm looking forward to the Eddie Aikau and a few others. I'd really like to see some more about the Olympics, but who am I to complain. They've all been great so far.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

and if any of you care, the first volume of 30 for 30 Season II is being released on DVD on Nov. 26 and includes:

- Broke
- 9.79*
- There's No Place Like Home
- Benji
- Ghosts of Ole Miss
- You Don't Know Bo
- Survive and Advance
- Elway to Marino
- Hawaiian: The Legend of Eddie Aikau
- Free Spirits
- No Mas
- Big Shot
- This is What They Want
- Bernie & Ernie
- The Book of Manning
- A Bonus Disc with 8 30 for 30 Shorts (at least on Amazon. Not sure if this is included everywhere)

There's also a set with all of the Nine for IX's that is available already.

Whelp, there's another that I have to add to my Christmas list. Thanks.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
The Price of Gold (formally know as Tonya and Nancy) airs tomorrow night at 9:00. It's an hour later than the normal 30 for 30s, which usually starts at 8:00. I guess that because of the subject matter, it's going to start later.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Anyone know when the next group is being announced or is expected to be announced? I know that the soccer ones are coming up in a few months, but is there anything else on the table?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I was planning out some films to go see at the Tribecca Film Festival and came across this.

quote:

Slaying the Badger
Directed and written by John Dower
(UK) – World Premiere, Documentary

Before Lance Armstrong, there was Greg LeMond, who is now the first and only American to win the Tour de France. In this engrossing documentary, LeMond looks back at the pivotal 1986 Tour, and his increasingly vicious rivalry with friend, teammate, and mentor Bernard Hinault. The reigning Tour champion and brutal competitor known as “The Badger,” Hinault ‘promised’ to help LeMond to his first victory, in return for LeMond supporting him in the previous year. But in a sport that purports to reward teamwork, it’s really every man for himself. An ESPN Films Production.

Seems that this could be part of the next round of films. I'll probably try to get tickets and report back later.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The majority of the 30 for 30s on Netflix are getting pulled off tonight at Midnight, so watch them while you still can.

God damnit. Just when I was getting ready to do a marathon for a project.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Kevyn posted:

Still waiting on that '94 Expos doc.

I'm waiting on three (and yes I have titles and a lot of free time on my hands).

1) Friendly Rivals - The rivalry between Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte and also the rivalry between Michael Phelps and Ian Crocker

2) The Birth of Big Air Part II - Focusing on the rise of big air skateboarding

3) The Court - A look at the East Baltimore vs West Baltimore basketball game directed by Ed Burns and David Simon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Instant Watcher just showed that there's a ton of new 30 for 30 film on Netflix Watch Instant. Mostly stuff from the last round, but it's still new if you haven't seen any of them.

• Locked thread