Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The ones on Tim Richmond and Allen Iverson are good. You can see beyond Iverson himself and the many problems with high school/local/race-related sports culture. The one on Richmond would have worked as something longer, but for its short length is pretty interesting.

The USFL one gets points solely for Neusheisel singing the San Antonio Gunslingers theme.

I was disappointed with Without Bias and The Band Who Wouldn't Die. The latter didn't appreciate the unique situation enough and spent too much time with their pseudo-relationship with the Ravens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

pfunkdaddy posted:

I actually typed ed delahanty, and then backed off. That would be neat.

Also, a look at the life and death of Marty Bergen.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Did anyone watch "Ghosts of Ole Miss?" Goddamn, that was shocking. I knew it was bad in Mississippi during the Civil Rights Era, but a campus-wide riot?

:stare:

I haven't seen the 30 for 30 piece, but yes.

Lots of places had riots to varying degrees, though Ole Miss was probably the worst. At least for a college campus. Georgia was a bit wild, then calm, then students got upset over being beaten again by Georgia Tech in basketball and started an on-campus riot, heading for the dorms where the two black students were staying (UGA's old basketball stadium was much closer to the dorms than Stegeman is now). Alabama had problems galore to the point the first black students had to withdraw.

Mississippi's the only one I can immediately think of that had on-campus murders, though, over integration.

Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff do a pretty good job chronicling the era in The Race Beat. There's a chapter devoted to just that night at Ole Miss.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rick posted:

I liked Spirit of St. Louis.

I thought they tried to shove too much into one thing. The Spirits and their ownership, Barnes, the collapse of several ABA franchise, the four that got in (and the two that didn't) and the NBA's media rise/in perpetuity. I did love that they had Terry Pluto talking as Loose Balls is such a great book. I'd love a miniseries on the ABA, where they could explore the nuttiness in all its flavors.

Plus, unless I missed it, they left out the most legendary Barnes story:

"nba.com posted:

and he also uttered his infamous “I ain’t getting’ on no time machine” line when told that a team flight to the West Coast would technically arrive minutes before it left due to crossing time-zones.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

Laettner doing his interviews for the doc in a CHRISTIAN LAETTNER t-shirt is fantastic.

He does young kids' basketball camps that naturally use his name.

Poonerman posted:

This doc is incredibly disjointed

I'm currently catching the replay and the arguments/points of debate just feel stupid. Not amusingly stupid or funny stupid, just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

SpiritualDeath posted:

I wasn't even alive in 1992, but I sense the bit where they said "Kentucky wasn't supposed to be there and everyone was rooting for them" is bullshit. Confirm/deny?

Kentucky was a 2 seed.

EDIT: And ranked 6th going into the tourney. And had won the SEC championship by a lot.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread