Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Larry Holmes/Muhammad Ali one is great/depressing even if you're not that into boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I recommend June 17 -> Escobars -> The U, for maximum uplift

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I love Run Ricky Run and Once Brothers. I cried during Once Brothers, such an emotional film. And Run Ricky Run is all over the place, but that's kinda appropriate given how Ricky's life has been since he went pro.

It's funny, a friend of mine from Philly once said that the city never forgave Donovan McNabb for the fact that Philly didn't pick Ricky, picking Mcnabb instead. I always wondered if that was true or if it was just within that guy's social circle or what. Furthermore, it makes me wonder how Philly's ruthless fans would have responded to a guy who was perceived to be total headcase like Ricky was. That said, the film made me feel like I have a better understanding of Ricky as a person, and I basically feel like it's no longer fair to refer to Ricky as a headcase.

It's possible they could have rallied around him and embraced him like they did with Iverson.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I'd love to see an explanation for how a once-explosive shooting guard started having a worse free throw percentage than Shaq.

Basketball's equivalent of Steve Blass disease. Which would make an interesting documentary in and of itself.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

"He then told the children not to ask him for his autograph, but about the rage inside of him"

:stare:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Zogo posted:

I'd like to see more topics going back further in time. Just about every story has featured a post-1980 subject. Two of the tennis episodes went back into the 70s and the Steinbrenner one but that's about it.

The original intent was to cover stories that had occurred in sports since ESPN's founding, so it's largely intentional. I'm sure now that they've expanded the "brand" a bit they'll be willing to do older stories.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Professor Funk posted:

Why isn't Mark Brunell in this movie

Not all of the investments he made were stupid.

Well, I mean, they were, but not in an immediately obvious way.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jack's Flow posted:

The NBA does offer such orientation programs on financial education, but most players simply can't be bothered to show up.

If I was just drafted after spending a year in college that I didn't want to spend in the first place, why the gently caress would I volunteer to go to another class?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Watched the Bo documentary for the first time today. Loved except for that one part that I'm sure bugged the poo poo out of everyone else.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Chuck Klosterman?

Oh, also that. I meant the part where the writers were falling all over themselves to praise Bo's purity and how they would have to "question everything" if he played in the steroid era.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Spirits doc will own because Marvin Barnes owns

quote:

The flight leaves Louisville at 8 pm and is scheduled to arrive in St. Louis at 7:56 pm. Upon reading the flight itinerary [Barnes] becomes confused and asks how can this be, someone breaks down the time zones and how St. Louis is an hour behind Louisville. [Barnes] says that they can cancel his ticket because “I ain’t gettin’ on no time machine!” He proceeded to rent a car for the trip.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I thought Chris Webber didn't do the Fab Five thing because he was banned from being associated with Michigan until this year.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

You misspelled Andre Rison

I would've watched a 2.5 hour version of Broke where all they did was add more Rison and Herm

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Benne posted:

"Swoopes" premieres tonight at 8PM ET. It's directed by Hannah Storm, which should be interesting.

Caught it in a bar. Wasn't the greatest thing I'd ever seen but I appreciated the attention to the schism Swoopes made within the lesbian community.

It looked like any other standard ESPN documentary, though, which was disappointing. I know Hannah Storm isn't a director but yeesh. All talking heads and previously seen archive footage.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Any TV deals the NHL has picked up are almost entirely due to a broadcasting arms race rather than competence on Bettman's part.

GD_American posted:

that sure is a funny way to misspell losing

Also this.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

yes he took hockey off of ESPN.

This was a bad move both short and long term.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Anybody know when the next airing is? I caught the first 30 minutes or so and then my friends wanted to go to the bar and I was too embarrassed to say I was watching a figure skating documentary

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Price of Gold was really good and it's something I have vague memories of as a kid. I wish they had somehow gotten Gillooly or Kerrigan on camera for the interview (but Gillooly's gone underground and Kerrigan gave NBC the exclusive iirc).

E: Also it was on Netflix like a week after it aired

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

Deadspin tracked down Gillooly and had an interview with him.

Yeah I read that but they fed him softballs and downplayed the whole wifebeating thing

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Niwrad posted:

NBC should do one where they ask Isiah about shaving points and telling everyone Magic was gay.

these things did not happen

basketball took place strictly from may to june from 1981 to 1989 and the lakers and celtics played each other for 7 games a year after which the players went home and magic johnson took pictures with celebrities and larry bird was on a farm or whatever

everything is okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dr_Strangelove posted:

A good episode. They just about edited in all of Goodfells, though.

I was in a bar last night and I kept wondering why Goodfellas was on ESPN

• Locked thread