Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

The 1973 Indianapolis 500

Amongst the lovely things that happened:
- Endless postponements because of rain
- A beloved veteran killed in practice
- An almost fatal pileup on the start (The guy who caused it ended up addicted to pain medication & turned to crime)
- A pit crew worker got run over & killed in the pits in front of the main grandstand & TV/radio broadcast booths
- A young up-and-comer had a wreck after leading the race for the first time, and was recovering when he received a tainted blood sample a month later & died
- His teammate is in the lead when the race is stopped due to rain, and despite trying to win for years can't enjoy it when it happens.

It's an amazing story about the pointlessness of high-risk sports & the people who realise this, but do them anyway.

A special on the 1981 race would be amazing in my view.

Also, one on "The Split", and it's impact on motorsport in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I just think, even the Indy 500 itself, is just too important of an event to not have a documentary about. It's one of the elite sporting events in the country, but I don't think this current generation cares enough about it anymore. I really believe that it'd be great if it's importance within sports was brought to the nations attention again.

1979 Daytona 500 would be good too, and it's importance in bringing NASCAR to a mainstream audience for the first time.

High School football in Ohio would be great to cover as well. Often times Masslion-McKinley get mentioned, but schools like Steubenville are just insanely into the whole thing.

Same with Basketball in Indiana.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Came here to post this. I'd like something on The Split.

Also, Broke will be fascinating.

The thing is, you could do one that shows George in a fair light. I mean, he's an rear end in a top hat, no question, but there's a lot more pieces to that puzzle than just him. Tracing it back to 78 would be a good start.

He did seem desperate to kind of correct his mistake finally realizing what he did, but by then it was much to late. I'll also give him some credit in admitting that the 25/8 idea was stupid.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Some of the early ones were ones I didn't like. The Gretzky one felt too long and I really didn't care about the Baltimore Colts band. Love the Two Escobars though

The Colts one was hosed up about how it spent the whole documentary whining about the loss of the Colts (hurr, it was really tough supporting the usfl and championship level cfl team we got!), and then, they get the Browns from Modell, and for a split second they go "oh, yeah, well..they got a new team and all, so that's okay..but we knew how they felt".

I thought the Oilers one would have been more interesting had it focused on Hockey and Gretzsy's impact on Alberta and Canada iself.

BMB5150 posted:

Yeah watched it on Friday and was just wow, that day was pure insanity. If I was just a few years older, I would've remembered the whole media frenzy over OJ since I lived pretty close to LA. It was so out of hand that looking at a tour bus with the jury going to the house where Nicole died outweighed the qualifying races for the Daytona 500. They were so stupid that they thought there was only 1 and knocked out the pixel size screen of the race not knowing there was a second race. Also funny to see some of the news anchors and news sets that I remembered when I saw the news. But man that day, all sorts of stuff happened.

Thanks to that event, that ended up justifying Reality TV. Also indirectly created the Kardashians.

gently caress Orenthal for that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

for HBO docs:

Ohio State/Michigan: The rivalry is a great watch as well, and perfectly captures what football means to this part of the country.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/09/27/first-look-at-a-football-life-1995-cleveland-browns/

This is going to loving own.

Also, a gently caress art modell is definitly in order.

Thanks for dismantling a super bowl quality team and shipping them to baltimore.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Spikey posted:

There's a new 30 for 30 short up: The Arnold Palmer

The greatest non-alcoholic drink.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hello Towel posted:

Just watched the Gretzky one. It was okay, not that great.

The subject matter about how the Oilers were viewed during that time period intrigues on me. Kind of bummed out they didn't touch upon that more.

Edmonton's reaction reminded me a bit of how Cleveland acted when LeBron bailed. Apples to oranges, but there's indeed some similarity at the anger felt by the two fanbases.

The difference being, Wayne didn't seem to be all that hated over the move, and LeBron? Well, yeah, he can go to hell.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is the one I'd seriously love to see, and figure ESPN would do seeing as they're losing NASCAR but will still have IndyCar coverage through 2018.

Guess what? ESPN did an an "Outside the lines" on it in 1996.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ungLtkbCl38

It is fantastic per usual with any associated with Bob Ley. It's only missing element is pretty much the NASCAR POV, with the France family cackling madly while counting their money.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

So far I'm enjoying it. Especially how they said Ewing had all those goaltends on purpose that one title game.

I very much enjoyed it, though It's kind of obvious where the conference hosed up.

If they had put the same sort of effort to create what they had in basketball on the gridiron? The conference would still be around today, and likely thriving.

The TV dollars that would have been produced from the Boston College's, Penn State, Miami's, Pitt's and West Virginia's of the world would have been pretty significant. The "Game of the weeks" produced from those programs would have been fantastic. (Hell they were back in the early 2000's).

That's kind of why the Big Ten, ACC, SEC and PAC 10 (that they mention) are very much still alive to day. Each one of those have been able to parlay their football viewership into cash, which in turn funds their individual schools.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

Knowing what we know now, it's likely that the Penn State and Miami would have wandered off to the ACC and taken someone else with them. Realistically, those are the only two out of the Alternate 1983 Big East that had truly massive TV money potential. I do think they'd still have been the meat looking to be cut from the bone during the rise of the super-conference. When you get down to it, it was inevitable than the 12 and 14 team conference was going to happen. Although if Miami, Penn State, and Pitt had been able to continue their 1975-1985 success (as a group) indefinitely, those would have been the three that went to the ACC. The Big East, as even a successful football conference, is in a tough position to expand to a 12 team conference and it's much easier to take them apart. And still would have had the non-football members causing a ruckus.

I found the whole :qq: of football being the villain a bit off-putting.

College Basketball is alright in my book, as is March Madness, but it's clear who rules the world of college athletics. Those being interviewed knew this full well, and just continued to kind of act like snobs about it. Wilbon was quite the rear end, for example.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

I haven't got around to watching it yet, do they really get all "big bad football broke our conference?"

It always kinda tickles me that colleges are pretty much in the same conference in all their sports, rather than ones that make sense sport by sport (I mean, its not like the Pirates, Indians, Reds, and Orioles are in the same division), but that's a topic for another time and another thread.

Yeah.

They kind of cite Penn State not joining/joining the Big Ten as the turning point of "RUINING" their beloved conference. They even literally show a black uniformed team in a tunnel as the enemy for their beloved conference.

Even had some snobby comment about Morgantown "HURR, WHO WOULD EVER THOUGHT WE'D GO TO MORGANTOWN", than they cut to a scene of mountain yokels ie: Jesco White. (Funny, I've been to Morgantown, and it was NOTHING like they showed. It actually came off as a fun little college town).

The whole thing reeked of East Coast elitism. The parts about Ewing were good, but some of the reporters/commissioners were just flat out snobs.

You are right though. I think programs like 'Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Ruters, Virginia Tech, Penn State, The U, and Boston College were too big for that conference. It didn't quite make sense for them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've actually never seen any of these and am fascinated by the events surrounding that game. Given how good many of these 30 for 30s have been, I'm looking forward to it.

The rest I could take or leave. I'd like to see at least one more about racing, but with NASCAR leaving ESPN at the end of the year and ESPN only carrying a paltry amount of races (outside Indy), I'm not getting my hopes up.

"Gonchi" is looking really good fwiw.

But it's more Indy/F1-oriented.

Agreed on all points. Alan Kulwicki is worthy of a documentary IMO. That's who's story should be told.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This is turning out to be very good. I had no idea why I would want to watch a doc. about Laettner and Duke, but son of a bitch..they've sold me on it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Welp I'm in the new upgraded 30 for 30 for "BELIEVELAND"

https://twitter.com/GallesKraco3/status/748710176283172865'

red Danny Sullivan "5" hat jumping up and down like an idiot.

Had no idea they were filming us at the time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kevyn posted:

Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia are furiously calling ESPN begging to be included in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJIML2F53I

I would honestly much, much, much rather watch a pre game show hosted by O and A over the HORRIBLE pregame shows at CBS and Fox.

Stunned Comedy Central hasn't tried to do something similar with like Florentine, Norton and others.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Comedy Central had a panel show filled with O&A comics and it failed as spectacularly as you'd figure it would

Tough Crowd, I assume?

Eh seems it was limited because the network got worried about "content". Kinda the problem with the TV format is for that reason, doesn't allow the likes of a guy like Norton or what have you to truly breathe.

I'm just suggesting it because the best sports talk I've probably heard was when they had Florentine rip on like Peyton Manning on O and A. Guys like Mohr are also quite good at it, and the only sports talk show I've ever heard worth a drat i n my town kinda acted O and A-like in some regards.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kevyn posted:

Who did that multi-part series about the AFL? Was it Showtime? Is there any way to watch that these days?

Youtube has all the eps. online.

I'd recommend downloading and saving them before the NFL copyright stasi go all out and bring 'em down.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

Well, the NFL pretends that it's not. That's what respectable purveyors of gratuitous violence, tawdry titillation, lousy football, and scripted, low-life garbage do.

The NFL comes across like it's ran by a bunch of upper class Ivy League WASP's.

It's been routinely challenged by the AFL, WFL, USFL and XFL because of that reason. Sadly, only the AFL and to a lesser extent USFL were able to encourage some sort of "change" when it comes to how it's ran.

The "fruits" of it's labor are finally bearing out. While leagues like the NBA,seem to be more...progressive on matters? The NFL just seems so backwards and dumb. They've changed their entire mindset. No longer is about Joe fan from Buffalo, but rather whatever upper class rear end in a top hat is willing to dole out the money for club seats.

How pathetic and sad that there are no owners of African American descent involved with the league? How about people in management within the leage? I think that right there speaks volumes to their current struggles.

Back to the topic at hand? I'm intrigued by this because the XFL itself is a fascinating concept, and one I do wish would have worked in retrospect. Save for Tourney time? It's very hard to find Saturday and Sunday programming during the Spring.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I am upset there is no Opie and Anthony in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJIML2F53I

Seriously. Between this and the "INSIDE THE NFL" segments that Jim Florentine did? It's been the closest I've seen to Football pregame shows being entertaining.

And it's not even that O and A were GOOD at it. But they were so self deprecating about it that it made it incredible.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Your Taint posted:

I find it amazing that the person "Who killed the USFL" is the same person who is about to kill our country as we know it.

It'd have been great if he would have kept lobbing bombs at the NFL, stealing their talent and coaching while keeping his league in the spring. Kinda like some combination of Steinbrenner and Al Davis. He almost got Lawrence Taylor for example.

The NFL really could have used it then, and sure as hell needs it now.

e: Not excusing him killing off the USFL. That was horseshit, but drat I want to see some scare the poo poo out of the NFL again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

It was NBC's belated "revenge" against the NFL for losing its football broadcasts. Just imagine the pitch:

WELL IT'S THE WWF AND IT'S FOOTBALL, AND PEOPLE WATCH BOTH SO YOU KNOW PEOPLE WILL WATCH THIS!

I really wish NBC had never lost the AFC package. They were actually GOOD at covering the league unlike CBS who seems like they lost something after they lost the NFC.

In theory...creating a "new" football league around that time would have been a good idea if done right. The NFL was really struggling, and was at a very weak point within (like right now) and some competition was definitly needed. Each time that the NFL was indeed "vulnerable" a new league would pop up full of owners, players, coaches and teams that the NFL had kinda rejected.

The XFL should have followed the lead of the AFL, USFL by finding owners like Cuban, etc that the NFL wanted nothing to do with and went hog wild.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Funny story about the USFL, you know the owner who convinced them to to take the fatal step of moving to compete directly against the NFL, and thus sealed their demise?

A certain Donald J. Trump.

Yep.

He bought a team because the NFL rejected his offer to buy the Baltimore Colts.

To his CREDIT? He actually was a good owner. Paid his players well, and seemed to treat them well. However his "football knowledge" side was very lacking. IIRC, I think Walt Michaels was trying to encourage him to draft Randall Cunningham rather than Doug Flutie. Trump refused because he wanted a "name" to sell fans, and thus yeah...he made a bad decision.

The push for them to go to the fall was also idiotic, but again, Trump wanted the mystique of being an NFL owner.

He'd have been an okay NFL owner. In the same way that I feel the W. would have been a great commissioner rather than a POTUS, Trump as an owner of the Colts/Generals going against the likes of Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder or Al Davis as being the crazy "wildcard" of the league.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/ChrisOwens62/status/827359427409956864

People are getting excited thinking the XFL is coming back now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Watching the XFL one (FINALLY)

Holy Hell Costas needs shoved into a locker or something. What a loving self righteous douche bag.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

i'll still argue that the a "new" league could have worked out in regards to what the XFL WANTED to be, but the problem is it wasn't "aggressive" in the manner that the AAFC, AFL and USFL were.

What I mean by that is finding owners, players and coaches that pro football had been deemed to be "crazy". They had some interesting ideas in regards to rules, the overall attitude of the league, and being on a channel that wanted to have pro football, but had been burned by the NFL.

They had one eccentric owner in Vince McMahon...they needed more. They needed guys like Mark Cuban, and such to own teams, go after high priced NFL FA's, Collegiate players, etc.

If you watch "FULL COLOR FOOTBALL" the "AFL" doc, you could see that there IS a route you can go to create a league to challenge the NFL. You just need a guy like Lamar Hunt, and a few others who are pissed at not being invited to the NFL's old boys club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

MLB Network is doing a documentary Wednesday night about the mid-90s Indians that kept just falling short of glory, called "The Dynasty That Almost Was".

That team was one of the best teams I've ever seen in any sport.

I still don't understand how they couldn't get one World Series out of the 1994-2001 era. I still have this irrational hatred of the Florida Marlins to this day.

Don''t know if I want to watch it just on the risk of being triggered over Jose Mesa, but this project sounds great.

• Locked thread