Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just recently watched The Real Rocky, and that was a pretty interesting study about fame and how it can be both a boon and a curse. I hadn't watched that one when it aired, since the airing schedule for the docs they made after the original 30 for 30 run was very random. I'm not sure how many people even saw this one.

Same goes for the one about the trans tennis player, who obviously had a pretty rough life since she played pro tennis in the 1970s.

I've been watching any of the 30 for 30 or other ESPN docs on Netflix that looked interesting to me over the last few days. Both of these were on there (the second one is called Renee), and I loved both of them. Also couldn't get enough of The Best that Never Was, and the Magic Johnson one was fairly interesting (Magic even narrated it himself). Jordan Rides the Bus was also interesting, because like everyone else at the time, I considered his baseball venture a complete failure, but as an adult realizing just how impossible that transition should be, what Jordan did was actually fairly impressive -- especially when you consider that he was improving over the course of a few months, and did decently in the Arizona Fall League after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I watched The Dotted Line, and enjoyed it a bit. It wasn't great, but it held my interest, and the sequence where the young agent was watching the draft and just praying that a couple of his clients -- all of whom were marginal draftees -- would get picked. Other than that, rather forgettable, but not bad.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hockles posted:

Watching this, I learned that the Medal Round in 1980 is different from modern day Medal Round at the Olympics.

It was not the bracket-style nowadays, where:

USA/USSR
faces winner of
SWE/FIN

It was a pool as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_1980_Winter_Olympics#Final_round

Don't just look at the scores. Read the article.

A lot of people know that the USA didn't beat the USSR in the final game of the tournament - but the people who are aware of that rarely understand that the Soviets still won the silver medals. It took a long time (and finally, Wikipedia) to convince someone that this actually happened in a conversation I had during last year's Olympics.

• Locked thread