Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

sportsgenius86 posted:

IIRC, he owns a really popular cafe or something in Seattle and does fairly well for himself given what you'd expect.

He kind of has to, those paternity payments must be a bitch. At least he was in the league long enough to make some money; Travis Henry's got to be screwed. Antonio Cromartie better hope he sticks around long enough too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Lewis was dirty, and the filmmaker shared his thoughts on it subtly with the whole braces thing then zooming in on Carl's smile when he had the braces.

There's no way Carl could compete on that level, to run second to BJ consistently and above everyone else, most if not all of whom were doping. Because of the money and fame though, Lewis has the most incentive to hold onto the lie, even through today.

My two takeaways from this doc were Lewis' tremendously horrible music video, and that insane start Johnson got off the blocks in the Seoul 100m. I watched it frame by frame and he threw both hands up in the air at the push-off when the rest of the guys only had one hand up, and took three of these lower, more streamlined steps when everyone else only had taken two steps. The race was effectively over 5 feet out of the blocks. Steroids aside, that was an epic exhibit of the human form.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

For some reason I kept getting the feeling in the Ole Miss doc that the tone was supposed to be "look at how we persevered despite the big bad yankees trying to take our heritage away" - it's likely that a majority of the team's players were on the same side as the students and governor, but they tried to frame it in a way which made it seem like the all-white football team was the entity under the most duress at the time.

The black student was badass though, dressed up like a black Tom Wolfe. Decent doc, but the angle felt askew for the whole hour.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

To Bo's everlasting testament, this very easily could have had a final coda where we hear all about Bo's descent into alcoholism or some other destructive and depressive habit that makes it traditionally heart-wrenching but not at all unique.

Instead, he channeled the pain of losing football (which it seems like he, at heart, loved more) in a positive way, though when he says he can only watch MNF for 15 minutes at a time there's a glimpse of the tragedy he and, by proxy, the rest of us experienced.

Because of contracts and player values, we have absolutely seen the last great dual team sport professional.

Fuckin Bengals.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

soggybagel posted:

The worst part about The U and Broke is how cheap the graphics package looks. Yeah, real nitpicky but it just looks like it was all done on imovie in two hours.

I know what you mean, but I feel that was a stylistic decision with The U and a matter of Broke just being a real steamer from start to finish.

Gotta go with June 17, 1994 as my #1. When's the last time we had a loving day like that? Twitter would crumble into a pile of poo poo with all the cross-story sports chatter and then oh yeah OJ iced his ex wife and her bf and the whole city of LA (in 1994! What would that have looked like today!?) filled the streets to watch him take a joyride. We'd need an entirely separate Youtube channel for the content uploaded in one evening if that took place today.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

screenwritersblues posted:

The Price of Gold (formally know as Tonya and Nancy) airs tomorrow night at 9:00. It's an hour later than the normal 30 for 30s, which usually starts at 8:00. I guess that because of the subject matter, it's going to start later.

Also, a CBB game precedes it so like so many 30 for 30 premieres, set your DVR to run long if you're not going to watch live in the likely event the game goes past 9E/6P. I think it took me 3 recordings to get through the Marcus Dupree one because it was always on after a game.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Anyone else's DirecTV not record this? Either ESPN or DTV changed the actual title of the show from "30 for 30: Soccer Stories" to the usual "30 for 30" and that led to it not being recorded. I guess it's reairing on ESPN2 on Sunday at 10pm EST - just really wanted to watch this yesterday and technology boned me so if that happened to anyone else, you've got a re-air time to record it again.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

I've been watching some of the soccer stories, and I'm pretty disappointed. The Brett Ratner one on the Rimet trophy was awful-- just terrible narration from Ed Norton over b-roll of Nazis goosestepping around and some auction footage. Hillsborough is probably the best of the lot, but I've only made it halfway through.

Hillsborough and White, Blue And White have been the only two worth watching. The latter had one of those "while we were filming, _____ happened" things which often times really *make* a documentary. But sports & politics are my two biggest interests so the docs in that vein tend to stick with me more regardless of topic.

I watched "The Two Escobars" again last week and forgot how great it was, easy to do in the context of the other excellent films it was bookended by when it first aired. Probably still the best soccer-related doc in the whole series, Hillsborough an extremely close second.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Believeland was kind of disappointing. Felt more like a montage of bad things than anything deep. Needed more length and interview subjects.

Opening with "Burn On" was great. Realized they couldn't improve on the Major League intro, smart.

Having not really known the background behind Modell heading to Baltimore, it seemed extremely kind to him given the vitriol Clevelanders hold toward him. The doc also seemed to gloss over the facts surrounding when Modell first tried to leave; they made it sound like he was continually rebuffed by the indifferent city council, and as a last resort had no other recourse but to leave. Then they drop it in at the end like an 'oh by the way' that he was having clandestine meetings with Baltimore from a much earlier point in the process than he let on.

Surely we have the facts about that timeline by now?

Also, don't know why, but I wanted to hear more about how awful the Cavs' ownership was before Gund bought them. They made it sound like the owner was intentionally sinking the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

In the first episode of the new OJ doc there's a commercial that shows a couple frames of upcoming 30 for 30 episodes. The Flair one is in there, as well as the Catholics vs Convicts one, a Calipari episode, an early 80s U of Houston doc, one of Francesa (wut), one on the XFL, something about John Daly, a Darryl Strawberry and Doc Gooden episode, and finally something with a guy that looks like he might be in tennis or soccer (like a Bjorn Borg/Johann Cruyff type).

If you think of the 30 for 30 episodes as being a television series it's hard to think of a show that has been this good for this many years from the start.

• Locked thread